“Nice accomdations, not a lot to do”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay in a 2 bedroom condo at Squaw. We picked Squaw because we had skied there before and wanted something on the North side of Lake Tahoe. Kind of tucked back and a 15-30 minute drive from everything on the North and West Shore. Room was nice, needed more lighting as nothing seemed to work in the bedrooms. Carpet was torn up going to the master bedroom. Also requested an air conditioned condo. Not sure the 1 fan in the room qualified for air conditioning. If your condo faces the village, be prepared for loud noise from below most of the night and early morning with workers moving equipment down the cobblestone streets of the square. Also had money out for laundry that was quickly taken by the housekeeping staff along with some reading material that we had saved to read by the pool up at High Camp. Not much they can do about it and I know I shouldn't have left the quarters out, but please hire some staff with some integrity. The surrounding area was beautiful. Took the tram (very expensive) up to High Camp to swim and hike and do the activities that Squaw had to offer. Little bummed they didn't have a pool at the resort as it was definitely needed with the hot weather. Not a lot of restaurants to choose from either in the Village and that makes the existing restaurants crowded. Was there during Funk Fest and saw some great free bands that played all weekend. It seems they have lots of festivals during the summer which can get a little loud. Not sure I'd stay here again. Liked the idea of the condo, but lack of sleep due to noise and temperature might not have us return.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face the village. Might not get the view, but the noise will definit...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I am currently staying @ this timeshare/hotel...check in time was supposed to be 4pm...we arrived about 3:20, room wasn't ready yet so they said they'd call us when it was...4 o'clock came & went, no call. We walked back, rm still not ready & no apology or explanation why!...I will say on a positive note, the room was clean & smelled nice...but, traveler beware: NO AIR CONDITIONING...when we finally got to our room (around 4:30ish) our room temp was 78! had to open all windows & patio door to vent the place...we left for a few hours and the temp only went down 1 degree!...you should have hammocks on the patios, it's the only cool place to sit or sleep!!!...we found a box fan in a closet, after my husband called the front desk to ask for a fan that Never came!...no room service not even convenient vending machines on the floors!!! No direct access from lobby to our room(in bldg3) we had to go thru the hot parking garage and walk to an elevator... what kind of mickey mouse place is this! The tv has lines running thru it horizontally and there's static with whatever cable/satellite provider they use. We've stayed in motels that have been nicer than this for half the money!!! Not to mention the staff is totally lack luster, no smiles, no engaging conversation or much eye contact..sadly no one seems to give a crap!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Gryphon7
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just returned from a one night stay at the Lodge at Squaw Valley for Bluesdays Tuesdays. I think I got 4 hours of sleep. Pros: Beautiful location, the surrounding mountains are gorgeous. The front desk people were nice, one bedroom suite was small but OK for three adults. The Rockers restaurant was fantastic. Cons: This is a big one....after Bluesdays Tuesday our room (that overlooked the plaza) had drunken, loud group of people that simply would not leave. I called the front desk twice and they finally cleared them out around 3AM, but it took TWO phones calls and resulted in very little sleep for all of us. The Bluesday Tuesdays crowd was large and filled with Woodstock throwbacks who simply had no respect for the other spectactors. They simply plopped their low back chairs in front of everyone (that had been waiting for over an hour) and danced their drunken cares away. I will not attend another bluesday event.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Village at Squaw for 5 nights. Checked into a 2 bed condo requesting a quiet spot- after unbelievably loud noise and music from a nearby bar and several phone calls to the front desk- which the Village handled most courteously and professionally- they met my request for a free room upgrade to a 3 bed and a quieter spot the next morning. The bars are not part of the accommodation and apparently this night was the wrap party for the end of a weekend long yoga festival- with so the Village were limited in what they could do- i was impressed with their staff and their efforts to get the bar to comply with its noise permit.

The main problem with the Village at Squaw in the summer is there's no pool. Which would be okay if this was clear from booking on the website but it isn't. There's one at High Camp which is featured most prominently on the website- but it doesn't make it clear you have to take the tram up - and that costs $55 per adult. Yes- for a family of four it will cost you almost $200 to get up there.That includes a couple other activities but its still ridiculously expensive. There's no pool at the resort level- several hot-tubs including one large one heated to 85 for the summer- i guess a bit like a pool- but still. The website lists a pool in its amenities- one that you have to pay that much money to access and its only accessible between 11 and 5 to my mind is not an amenity.

The accommodation was top quality and we loved the rest of the area- but travelling with two kids we picked Squaw thinking there would be free or reasonably priced things for them to do in the resort- there really isn't. No organized games, ping-pong, and no pool. For that reason we would not stay at the Village again with kids. Other places there at Squaw Valley- eg the Squaw Creek Lodge, do have pools, so i think we'd pick those over the Village

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.. ask about any special events happening in the village when checking in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in room 2-426. It was a corner room and surprisingly spacious. Had an extra alcove space off the den area with a murphy bed. The bathroom was big too, 2 sinks at the vanity. Very nice to have a sink to myself and not have to share with my kids. I had read reviews about these units getting hot in the summer. This homeowner had a portable A/C unit in the main room, plus a ceiling fan, and a very poweful corner ceiling fan in the bedroom. The village is noisy but the fan drowned out the sound.

The underground parking was nice and I am sure is a huge plus in winter. Check in was easy. My son wanted a $17 "smores kit" being sold at the front desk. I made him pay for it out of the allowance money he brought with him. Guy at the desk kept asking if I just wanted it added to my bill and I said no we will pay cash. Then it was added to my final bill. When I walked down to explain the desk person asked me if I remembered who checked me in. Of course I didn't, it was very busy when we checked in. He sAid he would have to check with his manager later to take it off my bill, but it finally was.

Overall nice stay but I don't think I would stay in the village again. Overpriced restaurants and a $39 fee (per adult) to take the tram up to the pool. We were given 2 free tickets upon check in but there were 3 of us. We opted for King's beach instead. $10 parking fee which is good for all Ca state parks for the day.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed a couple of months ago and it was fantastic. The room was extremely comfortable. The balcony was great also. The food, shops, hiking, biking, etc. kept us from pretty much leaving the resort grounds. We visited Tahoe once on our trip and decided it wasn't worth it. For all of the food and shopping we did, it was the least expensive trip we had in a long time. I was scared to see our bill when we got home but I was extremely surprised! Everyone was polite and we loved the outdoor movie night. We are planning to be back next year!

Room Tip: Request a room with the balcony that faces the "Movie Night". That way, you can watch from...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The building and village were great. But I assume room was 3-346 decorated by an owner. The furniture and decorations were gaudy & tacky, the place was full of figurines. There was too much furniture in the rooms, and the pieces were oversized and hard to get around. The master bedroom curtain valance that was broken and unsafe. The bedroom closet was half full of stuff, barely had room for my things. Then the living room: room stuffed with furniture and a huge dining cabinet that served no purpose other than to display even more figurines. We couldn't sit at the table bc it was too crammed, and we're not big people. The outside deck had a chair with an old shredded seat cushion. If that's your style, then great, maybe someone out there will think it's charming. Here's another mentionable: a knit blanket over the couch of a cartoonish bear with a fish in its mouth.

It must be someone's job to look the rooms and tell owners - BEFORE GUESTS STAY THERE - that their unit doesn't meet a standard and that less is more. It's not my responsibility and I resent that. I sent the mgt my feedback, but future guests should know what they are getting into.

Room Tip: Ask for one that isn't decorated by someone's granny
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank KMElla
Christy B, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your insightful response. We are working with the homeowner to edit her unit and give it a more neutral feel. I hope you will come back and give The Village at Squaw Valley another chance. Please feel free to contact me when booking your next trip so we can get you a room better suited to your taste.

Christy Beck

PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Northstar Lodge by Welk Resorts
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!