“Hit and miss”

Resort at Squaw Creek
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2014

First time staying at the resort. Been to a lot better. A few things were a hit and a few things were a miss. Location for skiing bumped this to an average, otherwise it would have been a poor.

Hits:
+Location - base of chairlift is out the door. Would be good if the lift could be replaced with a high speed lift, but this is likely not the resort's problem to own.
+Room - not the best, not the worst. Outstanding view in a fireplace suite. Bed was decent, room was clean, little dated/in need of repair in spots.
+Spa - wife thought the massage from Melissa was excellent.
+Restaurants - fulfilled the dining needs. again, not the best, not the worst. Definitely gets a little old after day 3.

Misses:
- Service - check-in was disaster. Arrived early in hopes they'd have a room at or before 4pm check-in. Realize this is never a guarantee so I understand. From 2:30pm, watched the entire lobby fill up with people waiting for there rooms. Standing room only. Watched it empty out before 3:30pm, meaning everyone got their rooms. Not us. we lay to rot in the lobby until 4:45pm. No communication whatsoever. Finally, after constant badgering on my part, we were given a room. Once in room, I got a call on my cell saying our room was ready. Geez, thanks.
Asked the person if I could speak to the manager. She assured me that I would be contacted. Crickets. Never heard from them. Generally speaking, service people seemed overwhelmed. Felt sorry for the housekeepers. Tough jobs in a tough environment. Not a place I'd like to work which I put responsibility on management.
- Pool and spa area was unattended. Went down for a night spa dip with the wife. the "adult" hot tub was filled with teenage bliss. ok, whatever, no biggie. Most were well-behaved. Though, the deal breaker was the garbage (beer cups, dirty towels, etc.) strewn all over the place. Made me wonder about the water quality even with the chlorine vapors burning the hell out of my eyes.
- Value. I've been to similarly priced resorts (with daily resort fees too) which were amazing values for what one received. Value is in the location here at this resort, but overall I couldn't make the rest of the math work for the overall experience, quality and benefits at Squaw Creek.

Will I return? Probably not.

5  Thank djh140
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear djh140,

Thank you for posting your review. It is always helpful to get a clear picture of each individual’s experience at our property, particularly over the busy holiday weekends. We are in the process of reviewing our performance over the recent holiday and I will certainly bring up your experience with our front desk team and work with them to ensure our guest experience is more streamlined in the future. Likewise with our grounds staff regarding your comments about our pool area. I am very glad to hear your wife enjoyed her massage – we take pride in hiring the best therapists in the area so it is nice to see that impact your experience directly. I do hope you will return to our resort to enjoy the ski-in/ski-out access in winter, and the proximity to Lake Tahoe in summer. We would be glad of a second chance to put our best foot forward.

Eric Sather

Write a ReviewReviews (1,977)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I always love staying at the Resort at Squaw Creek. The settings, both inside and out are spectacular. Once I'm there I feel relaxed even when skiing! The hot tubs and pool are wonderful and it's really special to use them in the snow. Plus you can't beat the views!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Last week we visited the resort at Squaw Creek for the second time using a Living Social voucher for 2 nights. This was prepaid through LS and was specific to the dates we booked (a Sun and Mon). Sunday morning we attempted to leave the Bay Area and could not proceed due to the stormy weather and warnings to stay out of the Sierras. I tried contacting LS for help since the escapes say no changes or refunds are allowed but they were no help at all. Weather was clearing as of early Mon am so we left super early and were up at the resort about 8:30 am hoping we might be able to stay Monday and Tuesday nights instead. Both times we have been to Squaw the staff have been great-they look happy and friendly, go out of their way to say hello and smile and make eye contact as you are passing, say things like "enjoy your day" and "thanks for staying with us". Unfortunately I think this is becoming the exception in hotels more than the rule. There is nothing I hate more than service people looking miserable or even talking in front of guests about how their jobs suck but not at Squaw-here they are kind and professional and nice! What a concept!

We explained to the check in staff person that we were unable to make it the day before for our reservation due to weather and could we possible stay Mon and Tues instead-she checked in the back and came back saying absolutely and then checked us in right away (at 8:30 am when check in is technically 4 pm)! Both times we have been there with LS vouchers the staff have been so friendly and nice, giving us the included free vouchers for things like bottles of wine or restaurant food vouchers with a smile and a welcoming presence. This is also so nice as sometimes frankly people treat their voucher customers like second class citizens-again, not at Squaw! The rooms at Resort at Squaw are nice and cozy, the hot tubs and pool were great in the wintery air and the ice rink was super fun. The last time we went in the Fall they had Halloween activity times for our kid for no charge-painting pumpkins and a pie eating contest. In the Fall we rented bikes and loved riding the path to Tahoe City. The shuttles to the mountain seemed to run consistently though we didn't use and my husband loved boarding the side of the mountain with the lift right down to the hotel. Restaurants have good food and generally good service-once or twice they seemed overly busy but still within the range of perfectly fine and always friendly.

The hotel lobby is beautiful and they have nice touches like lemon and mint water for guests and chess and checkers tables for playing. Bellhop service was quick at check in and out and friendly too like everyone.

The long and the short is the staff at Resort at Squaw really make your vacation pleasant and create a friendly atmosphere in a beautiful hotel and resort. LOVE THEM!

1  Thank Alameda_Melanie
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Melanie,

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay! Come back again and thank you for posting your review.

Eric Sather,

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We had comfortable and spacious room over looking ski lift. We stayed a weekend in February. Not one inch of the room was wasted. Hallway is also kitchen with top grade quality appliances. No oven however there is a gas fire place. Beds with high thread count cotton ironed sheets made me not want to get out of them. The two headed shower head with high pressure water did some good to my tired and skied out body. Heated pool with 3-4 jacuzzis made for great atmosphere for social encounters. It is worth the extra money to not have to lug skis and poles to and from car or room. There is a ski desk where they keep your skis and poles. Need to call them ahead to have them ready the next day. There is as well a place to rent skis on site. I love the ski lift right near the back door. The only down side is the lobby and the rooms are not connected. Guest are having to walk 2-3 minutes outside in the snow/sleet to the tower where the rooms are. The high prices of the food and coffee shop items will set you back . We brought our our food to cover breakfast, lunch and dinner for two nights. If we were staying a whole week I would have brought my own convection oven as well as my expresso machine. Will need to bring your own spices and condiments.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I'm a frequent international traveler, I think this Hotel offers one of the best value for money that I have seen on ski resorts

We stayed in the larger 1bed fireplace suite which I highly recommend as the rooms are nothing special. If you are going on a ski trip, you are spending lots of money anyway, so get the best suite. It is worth it, except if you don't plan to stay in the room at all.

Get the larger fireplace suites with Valley view. It is worth the extra $$. You can save on meals as you have a full kitchen. The living room is large and very nice. The sofa-bed can sleep 2 people.

Higher floor is better.Look at the hotel map using Google earth to understand the room orientation. The even no rooms are the open valley view. The odd no are the back mountain view. The lower no rooms (x02, x04.. etc) are the end of the hotel which is overlooking the ski lift and more quiet.
Don't pay $30 for valet, it is not a long walk. Try the outdoor hot pool and spa, it is nice relaxation at the end of the day.

Don't waste valuable time on equipment rentals on site. If you are driving you may want to rent at home a bit cheaper. You may also rent at site the night before. Some shops offer discount for 3 days rental rather than day by day. There are many rental shops around.

Room Tip: Get the larger fireplace suites with Valley view. It is worth the extra $$. You can saev on meals as...
6  Thank Sam F
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I normally wait till I return home to write a review, but the staff here have been phenomenal! Being Valentines Day all the restaurants were booked, but the concierge went above and beyond to help me get a table. The other two folks to help me were Brandon and Blythe. As a first time skier, they helped me understand what I needed and where the best place to go for a good deal and service. They also pointed me to The Village to spend a day of fun shopping, which I did! Housekeeping did a great job in our room, and they all were very friendly. Fitness Center was very clean and had everything I needed to keep me on track. My only small complaint was the food prices, but that's with any resort. We had a liquor tax for a bottle of water, and a single scoop of ice cream was so small and pricey.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Michelle,

So glad you are having a great experience on your trip. Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you. Have a safe trip home and come back and see us.

Eric Sather

Reviewed 6 February 2014

What great help from Kate at the concierge. The front desk was also very welcoming and helpful. The ski in & ski out amenities are amazing. Great family atmosphere with over the top customer service. The deli manager was. Wry pleasant and offered great fast service!

Room Tip: Request mountain/slope side rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
RSC1SquawValleyUSA, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Brian,

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us again and thanks for posting your review.

Eric Sather,

Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#7 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
1 mi away
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
15 mi away
Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Spa and Casino

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!