“Love the experience at Squaw Creek!”

Resort at Squaw Creek
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Larkspur, California
“Love the experience at Squaw Creek!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have stayed at Squaw Creek Resort several times and have never been disappointed! Ksenia at registration is wonderful, welcoming and professional. Rooms are warmly decorated with a mountain feel! The room service, bar and bell captain staff are all great and happy and efficient! Even though we own a place in Tahoe, we make it a point to return at least once a year to Squaw Creek!

Room Tip: Always request a mountain view if available.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank letsg0007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Resort at Squaw Creek is magnificent and I am so glad I chose it for our recent staff retreat. We stayed in fireplace suites and the rooms were beautiful…comfy sofas and chairs, gorgeous tile and counters, flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom, and a spacious bathroom with a separate shower and large tub. I especially loved having a refrigerator and fully stocked kitchen with lovely cabinets, glassware and utensils. My view was of the valley and wow, talk about majestic!
The resort has many amenities including a retail promenade, deli with coffee bar, restaurants, an arcade, a spa, a huge pool and Jacuzzi complex, and outdoor activities at the lake, golf course, and trails. There’s so much to do and see that I never needed or wanted to leave. I ate at all the restaurants that were open (some are seasonal) and each was really good. I especially loved Sandy’s Pub and hanging out at the fire pit after dark. I was also lucky enough to visit the spa. The décor was beautiful and my massage was to die for.

Planning my events was a snap. Deb, the sales manager, was so friendly and walked me through everything. She had excellent suggestions which brought my vision to life. For instance, she knew one of my objectives was team building so she guided me to the smaller meeting rooms with windows. It was perfect--the proximity to our hotel rooms and inspiring view really set the tone for productivity and congeniality. Our onsite coordinator Meg was wonderful, too. She was attentive and genuinely wanted our retreat to be spectacular. I plan a lot of events and have to say that the conference catering was the best I’ve ever had. At first I thought it was pricier than normal but now I know it was worth every penny.

In a nutshell it all worked…the mountains, the fresh air, the fabulous food and the incredible service. The resort is so great I recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms having sliding glass doors onto a private patio...awesome!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nancelot
ResortatSquawCreek, General Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Nancelot,

I was pleased to read about your recent meeting experience at Resort at Squaw Creek. You truly encapsulated in your review all the wonderful amenities we have to offer to our leisure travelers, as well as our business travelers. Your kind words were shared amongst the team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your dynamic meeting experience at the resort, and we hope to host you again soon.

Eric Sather, General Manager
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

TIP:even though its $20 per day, valley parking is so worth it here, if you park yourself, be ready to walk about 200 yards every time you want your car!!
Enjoy the pool and 3 Jacuzzis, they are wonderful!! Great place to stay with a special one or family, lots of things to do (bike, hike, walk) or simply enjoy the views. The staff was courteous, the rooms are nice and ample.

Room Tip: Choose the pool side rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Eduardo N
Dear Eduardo N,

I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at Resort at Squaw Creek. Our amenities, including the pool, jacuzzi's and newly renovated Oasis Pool Bar & Grille are wonderful, especially in the beautiful summer sun. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we hope to see you again soon!

Eric Sather, General Manager
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Resort at Squaw Creek. We enjoyed our stay for the following reasons.
- the location is just beautiful. The grounds were very well maintained along with the resort itself. We had a forest view, and it was fine.
- the room was very nice and the bed very comfy.
- upon our arrival we noticed one of the bathroom lights was out. I forgot to mention it to the resort staff, but it was fixed the next day.
- the resort provides a shuttle to the touristy area (shops/restaurants/gondola) every half hour. This was very handy. The shuttle driver was very kind and showed us a walking trail to the tourist are too.
- beautiful pool area, and there was a slides. Kids were having so much fun.
-nice restaurants on property.

What we didn't like:
- the $25 a day resort fee, which is on top of the room fee. We didn't use the pool area at all, just looked at it for a possible next trip with our son. For this trip we had a groupon rate, so our room cost was a bit less than the going rate. However the going rate is high, which would be the only reason we would not return to this resort.
- we had valet parking. Apparently the car was parked under a sappy tree, because it had drops of sap all over it. Next time, we would park our own car.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karin M
Stäfa
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This resort is nicely situated between lake Tahoe and Squaw Valley. The staff is friendly, rooms are very clean and the restaurants offer a nice selection. Apparently Golf is challenging but I used the golf course only for my early morning run. Shame I can't go back this year!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Travelling_Patrick
ResortatSquawCreek, Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Travelling_Patrick (Stafa),

Thank you for taking the time to submit your kind review for Resort at Squaw Creek. We look foward to seeing you next year, and hope that with that stay, you get a chance to experience play on our course.

Andre Priemer, Resort Manager
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I visited resort at squaw creek for a two day weekend trip with my fiancée. We were in town to look at wedding venues and potential hotels for our blocks. Upon checking into the hotel, we were informed there is a $25 resort fee for "wifi and transportation services." This is on top of the $349 rack rate ($300 on kayak). We had already rented a car and didn't bring computers so we asked to turn down the resort fee. The first deal agent was very rude about it before a front desk manager ultimately agreed to waive the fee.

After staying at the hotel, it is even more surprising that they would try to charge a resort fee for "wifi and transportation services." Here are a few things that the hotel doesn't provide that I wish a resort fee (or the $349 rack rate) would provide:

1) power plugs anywhere remotely close to the beds
2) sinks that drain
3) showers that drain
4) a soap dispenser in the shower that works (they've replaced the little packaged soaps with an equinox-like pump system)
5) water bottles in the room for less than $8.00

Very disappointing experience for the price point.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Robert M
ResortatSquawCreek, Manager at Resort at Squaw Creek, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Robert M,

Thank you for posting your review - I would like to apologize that it was communicated and understood that the resort fee was for WiFi and transportation only, when, in fact, the resort fee covers: the first 30 mins of local and toll-free calls from the guest room, in-room tea and coffee,
shuttle service to and from the village, use of the fitness center, use of the pool & hot tub area, USA Today provided on weekdays, concierge services, Golf/ski valet service and access to our sledding hill and tennis courts in addition to the unlimited WiFi. The issues experienced with the room are being addressed with management in order to improve quality. We apologize again for the inconveniences you experienced.

Andre Priemer, Resort Manager
ctyadmcc
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This facility is a sprawling, beautiful location with easy access from the interstate. I elected for self-parking, which involves a bit of a walk, including some stairs. Checkin was quick. I had a fireplace suite which ran $309 per night in late July, plus fees. The grounds, again, are beautiful once you wander toward your room, which involves walking outside through some shops. My room was really fantastic – all higher-end materials, although the carpet was a little worn. The kitchenette was fully stocked with pots and pans, wine glasses, all dishes for meals, microwave, range top, fridge, dishwasher, sink. A table seating 6 was next to the living room with a couch with 2 chairs. Mountain views in 3 directions from 6 windows was fanstastic. The fireplace was operated with a simple switch on the wall. The bedroom was cozy and had its own wall of windows with a great view. The bathroom was very nice with dual sinks, deep tub, and dual shower heads. I checked out through the TV, but had to go to the front desk for a receipt. It would be nice to have the option for the receipt to be emailed.
The convention space was respectable. The rooms were nice and the chairs comfortable. I attended a banquet of 450+ people and the staff did a fantastic job of getting salads and meals distributed quickly. I don’t think the steak was Nebraska beef, but still pretty good. For such a large group, they did a very good job with food preparation. The dessert was unique and tasty as well. At the deli I had a club sandwich that was really loaded and tasted great. The Greek salad was outstanding!
Overall I had a fantastic stay and experienced no problems whatsoever.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!