“Fun Ski Time with the family”

Resort at Squaw Creek
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Fun Ski Time with the family”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The location is ideal and good for families. Ski In Ski Out option was wonderful but it is not for beginners...luckily our kids are advanced skiers so it was not an issue for them. Hotel has a great shuttle service but if you have to drop kids off at Squaw Kids Center the shuttle does not leave early enough. There is a rental/demo center in the hotel which was convenient again with kids. The valet/bellman service were outstanding...it snowed 3 feet in one night during our stay and these men were clearing the snow off our car in a timely manner despite a holiday week. Food can be improved...we were not impressed with restaurants and deli located in hotel premises. The breakfast buffet at Cascades is a good value. When checking out be sure to check your bill...there were items billed that we clearly did not authorize to be charged to our room. Overall we enjoyed our vacation here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 January 2011

As a Ski club president we visited squaw valley for winter sports and stayed at the resort at squaw creek. The planning took a long time. Yet step by step the staff were helpful and professional. The staff at the mountain and hotel worked with us to build a custom package that made our trip one of the best ever. In fact the mountain added to our trip a mountain tour at no cost, with their mountain ambassador Jonnny Mosely. It was excellent. The mountain was not only beautiful but had incredible terrain. We will bring our group back again.

• Stayed January 2011
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Had a fabulous time for our family ski vacation. Have three all kids and the room was comfortable and had a great view and great shower. Fireplace in living room. Beds were comfy. Shuttle takes you to ski school for the kids. Easy and fun family ski vacation. I highly recommend and I will definately return. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pools and spa were great.

• Stayed January 2011
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Awesome views. A winter wonderland. We stayed in a fireplace suite; it was well designed, if a bit small, and had a view straight out of a postcard. The suite had two CD players and two TV''s! The beds were very comfortable, with a down comforter if needed, and there was a pull out for my son in the living room (so parents can have a separate room, along with an additional TV) The kitchen was fully stocked and modern. The bathroom had a beautiful tile floor, bathtub and glass shower. There was a small fireplace in the living room, and even a dining table to have a nice meal on. The room service and food was fantastic, and well worth the price. We had a 4 drawer cabinet for our clothes, along with two closets for hanging up things. The buffet was over the top good - lavish to the point of embarrassing. There was an outdoor ice skating ring (for hire) where you could enjoy a nice skate with your family. The Spa was nice and yet not completely nourishing like I tend to like it. Very Asian in design and yet I tend to like the European style of Spa, but it was fine. There were 4 outdoor hot tubs and s pool, and there is nothing as fun as hot tubing outside with the snow all around you and the Holiday lights shining above. The outdoor fireplace was amazing, and we sat there for hours listening to a great guitar player who plays there daily. The grand piano had a wonderful piano player (Tim) who's played there for years and brings class and romance to the front entry way. Very fun place for families, but does not have that crazy family feel. I can see couples as well as families enjoying this place. But I can tell you that I have stayed at the Kimpton Hotel in Scottsdale and, even though I gave this place 5 stars, the service was great but not "exceptional" as was the Kimpton. Very nice people, but they did not display the goal of "going out of their way" for us. Which is fine. I felt spoiled already by everything else. Yet, I was lavishly spoiled at the Kimpton while on a business trip, and for less money per night! Yet, I still gave the Resort at Squaw Creek 5 stars because the place is spectacular. I would go back again and again, if I could afford it!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I stayed at this Resort through an offer on Living Social so the price was fabulous. If you book a room directly, it will be much more costly. We absolutely loved this beautiful resort and received exceptional service from valet to check in, to the dining establishments, to the spa.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and I received one of the best massages I have ever had from Ami at the Spa facility, which is onsite. When I wanted a deck of cards and one could not be found, the front desk staff loaned me his own personal cards to use for the night. The staff was friendly, knowledgable and very accomidating.

The fireplace suite was a beautiful room with views of the snow-covered mountains. We snow-shoed but if you are a skier or snowboarder there is a lift right from the resort up to Squaw. I would return for another stay in a heartbeat! What a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iskyee
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed 13 December 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending six days at the resort. The exercise room was great, the staff very helpful, the food was very good, and overall - a positive experience. We experieced only two problems: would you believe no extra TP left in the bathroom - yah you guessed the situation, and the guys with the valet service - definitely do not meet the helpful standards of the rest of the staff. If you are going there in the winter and are not aware of the California tire chain law, read up on it. Our two wheel drive rental car from the airport (with no tire chains) kept us at the resort during a heavy snow.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank midwestkid55
Daly City, California
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Upon check in we were given an orientation by someone who had absolutely no knowledge of the hotel. All of Leeza's info was wrong. She told us there were over 900 rooms and no ski/in ski out access and that the only way to get to the ski resort was to buy a ticket to the gondola (which I still haven't seen in operation in four days). I also asked if breakfast was off of a menu since I don't care for buffets. We were told that they didn't do buffets very sarcastically, only to find that was all there was. Then she wrote two different room numbers are our room cards after telling us she couldn't put us in a king so we had two queens (even though I booked the room in August), and then we got to our room, the keys opened another room. I tried to call down from a courtesy phone but got nowhere. We had to return to the lobby to fix the keys then we found we had a king with a lovely view of the service area which was very noisy. The closet wasn't large enough to hang up all our ski gear. We were given coupons for wine for pick up at the Deli. I called the Deli at 5 and asked what time they closed and they said they closed at 5. I wrote off the wine and then found the Deli storefront was open much later than that and only the actual deli was closed. When I went to the deli to buy some sodas for the room after leaving a card on file at the front desk I was told I was out of credit and would I like to add more? What, um, yes. I was told there was a $50 limit for security reasons. I asked for at least another $100 to be added. I have charged at least $300 to the room since then but haven't been told my next $100 was exhausted so so much for their security. Overall nobody at the resort seems to know WTF is going on and lots of info is outdated or incorrect. There is absolutely nowhere to go or walk to on the grounds for exercise and leisure. For someplace surrounded by the forest, there are no hiking trails. Room-service fees on top of the food are very high. The spa staff called me no less than 8 times and sent me four emails to obtain my credit card info which I gave to them several times. When checking out the spa I was asked if I wanted to leave the charges on the card or charge it to the room and I responded that either would be fine since it was the same card. She then told me I had to choose very rudely. At ski check numerous times we had to track down the staff cause there was nobody to be found. When shopping at the deli the three people behind the counter we had to call over after waiting several minutes and we were the only ones in the store. Then to top it off, we were locked out of our rooms after skiing and were asked for ID when going to the front desk to report the issue. Really? That was after being woken up before 6am by the dynamite blasts all day long for avalanche control, oh yes, which closed down more than half of the ski resort, but that wasn't divulged when we bought a package of lift tickets from the sales booth on the premises. Being so fed up I asked if the bill would be delivered early on the morning of check out and we were told to go to the front desk. I asked if I could check out via the television and they said I could in some rooms and then I went to my room to see its printed in their own manual that you can. Some staff was of the level that you would expect, but overall I am leaving with the feeling that they should take their four diamond plaque off the wall until they figure out what that means. Not impressed, not coming back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DebDeb1973
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline

Been to Resort at Squaw Creek? Share your experiences!