“Great location, ski in/ski out!”
Review of Squaw Valley Lodge

Squaw Valley Lodge
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location, ski in/ski out!”
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We stayed at Squaw Valley Lodge in January and loved it! The rooms were really good and clean, it was nice to have a kitchen and it had everything we needed! The location was great, could see the lifts out our windows and loved being able to step out the door onto the ski run.

The outdoor hot tubs are really nice! Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I booked a one bedroom over a travel agent for my husband, me and my mother in law. About a week before arrival I decided to have a room with 2 bath and 2 bedrooms, so I called for an upgrade of a 2 Bedroom/2 Bath. The person i talked to over the phone was very nice and helpful.

The check in was actually after 3:00 pm but we arrived early and I was surprised that the room was available. We gor checked in room 808A and 808B (808A was a premium one bedroom, 808B was a regular deluxe room, without a kitchen, both rooms were connected with a door). 808A is very spacious with a huge bathroom. Both rooms have skiracks and Balkonies. 808A has a fully equipt kitchen, dryer and washer.

The check in was very convenient and the front desk person was super nice.

We called ones because we thought the heater was too low and we couldnt find the adjuster. It took maybe a minute before a technician showed up and helped us with the adjustment.

It was clean but the matress in the bedroom of 808A had a blood spot which was shining though the sheet. The housekeeper should have seen this when sheets are replaced. We paid $494 plus tax for one night so I can expect everthing perfect. Anyway I noted this on the survery and I stated it at check out. The bed itself was too soft for me. And the noise level on the floor and outside was between mild and moderate.

The rest of it was perfect. A truly ski in/out and I cannot wait until my next stay hre.

• Stayed January 2010
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 January 2010

The Squaw Valley Lodge is my favorite place I've ever stayed. The fitness center is great, overlooking the ski lifts/mountain. Same for the outdoor and indoor hot tubs. The rooms are beautiful, equipped with Gilchrist shampoos and lotions. The staff is so so helpful and friendly. Underground garage helps immensely, as does the covered walkway to the hotel area. Coffee available in the lobby. I just can't get over what a great place it was. The only problem we had was the weather which went from rain to 7 feet of snow in a day, leaving much of the mountain closed. But we didn't care because we were so comfy.

The only problem with this location is if it snows a lot you are stuck there and there is no really nice place to eat, (or place with much happening at all). If you make the trip to town there are very nice places to eat and beautiful views. Highly recommended and great value!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Asia
Reviewed 11 December 2009

pleasant studio unit that is surprisingly big with areas for work station, an area where more ppl can sleep in. Great kitchen that might be more equiped than my own, with dishwasher, oven, bar area. there was a lot for me to juggle with. For a first timer snowboarder, it was a great stay with great room and responsive hotel staff, the compound is only less than 5 min walk to the cable car, to the restaurants and stores. Didn't feel like I was out of no where.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Monterey, California
Reviewed 12 September 2009

My hubby and I enjoyed our 4 night stay in a 'deluxe' one bedroom recently. We opted to check in the Sunday of Labor Day weekend in hopes that we'd miss the crowds. We used the "Manager's Special" rate on the lodges' website. Check in was easy, the room was wonderful. The deluxe units have an oven and a washer/dryer in the unit, are larger, and are more attractively furnished. Our room had 2 flat screen TVs with DVD players, which was lovely as there was very little to do at night in the Village during our stay (many stores were closed/limited hours until the winter). We enjoyed hiking straight out of the lodge, right up to Shirley Lake. The lodge grounds were very well kept, staff was not at all intrusive. The multiple hot tubs and pool were very enjoyable. It was too warm for us to sample the sauna or steam rooms, but both were clean and available. Nice game room and public areas with fireplaces and sofas, great workout room. I'm not a skier, but I can absoulutely see where one would love to stay here during the winter--great access to ski lifts, shops, restaurants, easy parking, you'd never need your car once you arrived! For summer travelers, access to hiking, Squaw's High Camp, access to miles of paved bike paths and numerous local bike shops made it a convenient place for us to get away for a few days. There's a mini market at the Village for incidentals, and there's a regular grocery about 10 minutes away in Tahoe City. Free ethernet in room was slow. No wifi and my ATT coverage was pretty poor in the room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
celsius888
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Our first time in this Lodge as our timeshare was full due to late decision to go to Lake Tahoe. We stayed at one bedroom suite, spacious and comfortable but I could easily increase the space by 40% if I were to decorate the unit. Too many furniture and decorations not necessary and only occupies space. Kitchen is useful and functional although it does not have an oven like other timeshares or rental resort we have been to. On our first night, I heard a very unusual noise that was so loud it gave me an headache and almost called the front desk to complain. The next day while I was preparing breakfast I heard the sound again, it is the water-heater. I think the water heater tank in our unit (319) is sharing the adjoining unit. The first night, our neighbor was probably taking a late shower and caused the water-heater to power on and we have no control over it and just waited about an hour before it powered off. This is the only complain we have on this unit, but if we were aware of the kind of noise it creates at night we would have not stayed here.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
NorthEast
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed 3 nights here and was just what we needed after coming from San Fran. Found the front desk helpful though we never bothered them greatly.

Our condo was great. Nice bedroom area, seating area and well equiped kitchen. We loved being able to make our own meals and packed lunches.
The only downside was that it adjoined the condo next door and the occupants the first night were quite loud talkers! We didn't ask to be moved and the next night there were new people in and we barely heard them.

We had debated whether to stay here or in Tahoe City and think we made the right choice. It's a few mins walk to The Village which has as many restaurants as Tahoe City and a few shops.

We travelled when many of the US schools went back so the pool was never very busy and parking was easy.

The place had a nice relaxed atmosphere and because we were travelling for a few weeks it was great that they have a laundry on each floor which you can use for a small charge.

We hired bikes and enjoyed cycling along the Truckee River and around the Lake - beautiful!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
The Village At Squaw Valley
The Village At Squaw Valley
#1 of 5 in Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,056 reviews

Been to Squaw Valley Lodge? Share your experiences!