“Excellent stay for a low price!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Folk Inn Ontario Airport
Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in Ontario
San Diego, California
“Excellent stay for a low price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

My situation: visiting friends from high school to celebrate my belated birthday for the weekend (3 nights -- checked in Thursday 06/27 afternoon, checked out Sunday morning 06/30). I used Priceline and got the hotel for only $45/night -- can't beat this price for the area unless you stay at a late-night-last-minute-booty-call hotel where you can hear rats roaming in the walls and people boinking in the room next to you. And I did my research for about a week looking for a cheap hotel in the area, so I know there was nothing around that was above 2 stars in the Ontario region of the IE for that price. Although, I don't know why because who honestly wants to stay in Ontario?

PROs: Very polite and welcoming staff; easy and quick check-in & check-out; very clean and spacious room -- fridge, microwave, humongous bed, couch, flat screen, etc.; free Wi-Fi (easy to set up); clean pool; very nice decor throughout the hotel.

Also, not really a PRO, but I lost my key one of the nights when I came back from dinner, and the staff was very helpful and gave me a copy of my key very fast. I just think this is another example of how their customer service is excellent!

CONs: Wi-Fi is a little slow; breakfast ends waaay too early (stops at 9 M-F and 10 Sat-Sun, I think); cleaning staff goes home pretty early (I tried getting someone to clean my room later in the afternoon, and they told me the cleaning staff already went home -- I suppose this is partially my fault for staying in the room throughout the day with the DND sign on my door, but I thought most hotels should have some sort of housekeeping on site).

Overall, I had a great experience at this hotel. Thanks so much for the affordable stay and great customer service!

Room Tip: Priceline = best last minute hotel finder EVER!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

FNAL UPDATE: (I uploaded a photo: #16. The bites got bigger after this was taken and came to a head. Gross.)

I asked for a full refund after getting bit all over the place in one of their beds. I even sent them a photo of the bites. They only want to give me a "discount" towards getting bitten in another one of their beds. Their response - a vague discount on next trip.

There you have it. Hence the one star. Not even a free stay, but some lame "discount."

A shame hotels don't know what taking care of their customers means any more.

========

UPDATE: I've dropped the rating by two stars as the bug bites on my body have gone from bad to worse. They itch, have grown in size and sting. I will not be staying here again despite the nice staff, beautiful accommodations, breakfast, as large bug bites all over my body trump that.

It is actually painful right now. I contacted the hotel online which referred me back to the local number. Have left a message for the manager.

==============

HOTEL NOW CALLED MAGNUSON GRAND SUITES. I'm here now. Staff very accomodating. Switched rooms, etc. Pet friendly.

Delicious breakfast with waffles, omlette and potatoes. Coffee was pretty bad.

Beautiful rooms with marble floors, clean carpet, high bar with sink, microwave and frig.

Took one star off as I was bitten thoughout the night. Woke up with raised small bumps. Probably fleas. I read the same thing happened at 2 other Ontario hotels. So it may just be the area.

Wifi free and strong signal on main floor.

Will stay again but will bring my spray rubbing alcohol and cover bed befoe sleeping in.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank orininal-travelgal
La Quinta, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Magnuson Grand Boutiquee Suites in Ontario. I wasn't sure what I would get as the reviews were mixed; however, I was more than pleasantly surprised by this beautiful lodging. The decor is handsome and the rooms are beautiful in addition to being very comfortable. The staff are friendly and professional on top of all of this. Add an excellent made-to-order American style breakfast with many choices besides and you have a real winner here. I commend this as an excellent choice if you need to stay in the area. Don't let the 3 Star ratings on some sights fool you. I think this is a 4 Star location.

Room Tip: If you have AAA use it to get a great discount.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was owned by Ayres Hotels the last time I stayed here. Mostly the same Great staff, great breakfast including cooked to order omelets, nice facility good beds but the new owners have let the maintenance slip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have absolutely only good remarks regarding my recent 3 night stay at this hotel. It was a very pleasant experience. The rooms were spacious and clean. The staff was very friendly, professional and accommodating. The breakfast service was excellent and a great value. I would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night during a recent business trip. The hotel is large and similar in look and feel to other lodgings in this budget friendly category -- such as a Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn etc. that are closed to airports and/or major highways.

Check-in was quick and friendly and the employee was ready with answers and maps. My room was nice and clean; nothing fancy....just a good room for a quiet night's sleep. The bed was comfortable and there was no issue with noise. WIFI was included in the price and there were no problems with speed or access.

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was fine -- eggs the way you like it, sausage patty, home fries and your selection of bread and muffins. There was also cold cereal and instant oatmeal (Quaker).

Please note that there are a couple Circle K convenience stores within a 5 minute walk of the hotel and a selection of restaurants (quick service and sit down) within walking distance as well.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to a business traveler.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kailua Kona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Our family of eight booked three rooms for the May 2013 Pomona College graduation. Our rooms were spacious, with two big queen sized beds, desk, chairs, TV, plenty of room for baggage, big bathrooms with door for commode privacy. The rooms were immaculate & plenty of toiletries & amenities. The property is European style with abundantly blossoming white rooms and foliage everywhere. The room rate included a made-to-order breakfast that offered pancakes, eggs, cereal, pastries, breads, fruits and more served in a delightful dining room. And that's just the beginning: the staff were friendly to the max, beginning with the delightful driver who picked us up at the airport, prompt check-in (I had asked for very early arrival and for only $30 extra got the use of my room from 9 am on!). Transportation within 3 miles is free including to the Ontario Mall whose stores one could swoon for, such as a real Last Call Neiman Marcus!

It keeps getting better. The Magnusun is located by a "restaurant row" whose offerings varied from a super-friendly and excellent Spires dinner to one of the BEST Indian Restaurants with a $10 lunch buffet (Bombay, one block walk) to a very good Italian place (Rosa's). Easy walking, flat, and good traffic lights for crossing. The Magnuson is about a 2 minute drive to the freeway intersection, about 5 min from the airport, and about 5 minutes from the trains. Could not be more convenient. The construction is solid so we did not notice airport noise inside although earplugs are available. The airconditioning worked. There was a Niagara of wonderful hot water, plenty of fluffy clean towels, and my criterion for a GREAT place was reached: excellent lighting for reading in bed. The mattresses were top quality, too.

There is a sweet pool with umbrellas and tables. Very pleasant.

All in all, I can't say enough in praise of the hotel and I have no criticisms at all.

Room Tip: First floor rooms were convenient for the baby stroller and our considerable amount of luggage.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family