“Don't expect ANYTHING!”

Ranked #25 of 41 Hotels in Ontario
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Don't expect ANYTHING!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

NO ice machine, NO maid service, NO toiletries, NO blow dryer, NOT possible to cook in their 'kitchens,' NO muffins, NO coffee. I know it's an Extended Stay and therefore a 'home away from home' (their words) but if I had to live here I'd shoot myself. If I'm paying more than $100 a night I expect a few things. It's true there are ice cube trays in the room but I wanted a cold drink when I checked in. We had to go back out and buy ice! The 'grab and go' breakfast was pathetic. Out of muffins AND coffee our second morning. I will never stay in any Extended Stay America ever again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Ontario Airport, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond.  The housekeeping and maintenance issues you described in your review are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience.  To prevent this from happening again, I am sharing a copy of your review with the staff at the hotel to make sure your experience is not repeated in the future.  I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.  I hope that you will contact me directly, at cyong@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further.  We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fresno, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel, and at first it seems like a normal average priced room,boy was I wrong. First when folding down the the comforter I noticed a dark brown smudge on the comforter and a yellow streak down it, maybe like someone had an accident, I was pretty grossed out so I took the comforter off the bed and put it on the floow and when I told the front desk about it all I got was an "oh I'm sorry about that" I am sure if the lady at the front desk had something gross like that in her room she would have reacted a little differently. Also this hotel is incredibly loud, if I need to get rest it is not the place to do it. I dont know if the people above me were putting bags down or body slamming eachother either way sounded like they were going to come through the ceiling. A few more things, the shower to bath switching system on the faucet is incredibly sharp, my husband cut his finger just trying to turn on the shower :( not safe for kids for sure, and after cutting his finger he was greeted by a huge black spider...not to mention the beds here are INCREDIBLY HARD!
Lets just say I am glad my stay here will be over in 4 hours and I will be going somewhere a little more comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us.  I sincerely apologize that we failed to communicate our weekly housekeeping services and some of the amenities you missed which at our hotel are normally provided at the front desk. As for  the breakfast I am really sorry we failed to refill and upkeep our breakfast area on time.  I am taking all necessary actions with the staff to ensure that this issue does not happen again in the future.  I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.  If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at cyong@extendedstay.com.  We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Ontario, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Have been staying in Extended Stay America, 3990 Inland Empire Blvd, Ontario, CA, for an extended period of time.
First, all common areas are filthy. Hallways are not vacuumed regularly. Trash rooms on all floors are regularly overflowing with trash. Outside common areas are filthy with trash cans overflowing.
This past Saturday evening, someone spilled a 7-Up soft drink in the 1st floor stairway. As of Wednesday morning, the spill still had not been mopped nor cleaned nor even noticed by management.
The trees surrounding the property shed large amounts of small yellow blossoms that are tracked into the alternate entrances to the hotel. I know for a fact that these hallway areas can go 5 days or longer between being vacuumed by staff.
The signage in the lobby states that "Breakfast between 6:00 am and 9:30am." The staff regularly does not get the coffee/breakfast out until 6:30am. Even then, the coffee regularly runs out after just 15 minutes.
One would believe that a hotel would have top line vacuums. The housekeeping staff is equipped with poor vacuums that do not work properly. I know this for a fact as I regularly need to 'borrow' a vacuum from the front desk. This is even after the housekeeper has cleaned the room. The vacuums lights regularly indicate "Bag Full" and do not pick up lint nor debris.
Toilet paper also seems to always be in short supply. Housekeepers do not regularly leave soap, shampoo, boxed tissue nor any other conveniences unless directly asked.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Randal Z
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Ontario Airport, responded to this review, 25 September 2012

The experience you described is truly regrettable. I can assure you that I have brought the issues you mentioned, such as the lack of coffee, spills and common area cleanliness to the attention of both the property management and hotel staff so that we rectify the issue and make future stays more comfortable.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm) other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Where to start?

1. The toaster was filthy.
2. The 'cooking utensils' consisted of a scanty collection of mismatched flatware and two saucepans that had seen better days. No spatulas, no stirring spoons, nothing to attend anything that might need cooking.
3. The carpet was filthy. I took off my toddler's shoes and socks and let him run around while we were unpacking. I picked him up five minutes later to put him in his portable crib and the bottoms of his feet were dark grey.
4. There was no soap of any kind in the kitchen or on the sink in the bathroom. There was one tiny bar in the shower, probably insufficient for a single guest staying a single night and wholly inadequate for a family of three staying four nights.
5. The 'one bedroom suite', which we paid extra for so my toddler would have his own room to fall asleep in, was a single room half divided by a half wall, and there was nothing 'suite' about it.
6. All common areas of the hotel and several areas in our room (the bathroom and the windows) smelled strongly of cigarette smoke.
7. Other guests were easily audible through the shared walls in our rooms, and as my toddler was frequently upset by the lack of freedom to run around and took quite a long time to fall asleep in the shared place (when he slept at all) I'm sure it wasn't any more pleasant for them than it was for us.
8. The bed groaned and creaked any time either of us shifted. It was lumpy, uneven and at a slight angle, which meant even when the little one had fallen asleep we didn't get much rest.
9. There were no ice machines.
10. The 'grab and go' breakfast consisted of sweaty plastic-wrapped muffins and ancient fruit.
11. We had to check out very early (5:30am) and the desk clerk was too busy mopping the lobby floor to print us a receipt. She just asked for our room number and then said 'oh, you're fine' and waved us out the door. We were so eager to leave we just let it go and decided we'd dispute any overcharges through our credit card company.

This was one of the least pleasant hotel stays I've ever had, and I was once a professional traveler. We will not be staying at an Extended Stay America ever again and we will be relating this experience to every person who will sit still long enough to listen.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rebecca L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Ontario Airport, responded to this review, 24 August 2012

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay, then inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards.

We offer a "Grab and Go" breakfast to all of our guests. This morning treat is more along the lines of deluxe coffee bar and not a full fledge meal. As well, we offer basic amenities for our guests to enjoy, which does not include shampoo or other toiletries. We do, however, offer a variety of sundries behind the Front Desk. They are complimentary and handed out upon request. Upon check-in, it is the staff's responsibility to relay this information to our guests, which seems to have not been the case for you.

Obviously, your experience indicates that our system broke down. In response, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out why and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

North Hollywood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I am a forty year plus member of the hotel/rest. employees union, so feel somewhat competant to evaluate a hotel. and would rate this place a solid three, bumped to five when price is considered. I have stayed here on several occasions for Nascar events,and will make a reservation tomorrow for the upcoming Indycar race in september. I'm making this review largely to try and offset some of the negative clanking in some of the reviews, which I suspect are from truly one off events. My experiences here have been very consistant. The staff is knowledgable and cordial, don't have a single complaint of the staff, or reservation crew..
The place is very clean, whether rooms, halls, elavator or lobby. Parking is plentiful, and access is easy. Rooms are very well furnished, spectacular when accounting for price. If I could figure out how to steal one of their recliners, I would, they are that good!!. (screw stealing towels..if going for larceny ...think respectably big!) The place is quiet, and without exception, every employee I have talked to there is at a minimum competent and respectful. All in all, I have encountered much worse at twice the price. Would give them six stars if there was a box. Great location for going to either the Speedway, or the Mall. During my september stay, I've decided to ask them if I can buy one of their recliners. I'm semi disabled, and a three day Nascar weekend is a bit taxing for me, but for whatever reason, these small recliners are the most comfortable chairs that I've encountered in years, and are the reason I don't stay at the Hilton anymore, and the reason I credit for my being able to make it to the track all three days. Really big thank you guys. I don't even bargain hunt anymore, ( a first for me). I have a permanent row 45 seat at the Speedway, and will always use this hotel. Go Tony Stewart... and may Kyle polish the wall. (may bloomin Newman always be in the top ten)

Room Tip: Best experience has been upper floor, parking lot side, over the entrance
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Ontario Airport, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other brand locations. And, of course, best of luck to all of your favorite NASCAR drivers! Enjoy the races!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I dont normally write reviews but its 3:00 in the morning and I had to leave this place! Its outdated (even though they have renovated rooms). It smells musty and dingy and they spray febreeze in the rooms which makes it worse, there was hair left on the toliet from the previous guest. I already couldnt sleep from the funky musty smell in the room which gave me a headache , but the roach crawling on my face @2 am in the morning was the deal closer. I immediately went to the front desk for a credit and left this place with gasoline pjs on. I would not advise anyone to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank forevercrimson
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Ontario Airport, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry that your stay was less than the pleasant experience which you had anticipated, and of course which we wanted to give to you.

We have strict cleanliness standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Your experience clearly indicates a breakdown in our system, and for that, I sincerely apologize. I am taking your review very seriously, and have met with my team to review our cleanliness and inspection standards to ensure that future guests do not have a similar experience. I apologize again, and I do hope that the next time you visit our area, you will give us the opportunity to once again have you as a guest at our hotel.
Ontario, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

When I checked in on July 15th at approximately 9:30pm, June the customer service agent at the front desk was very friendly, very knowledgeable, and very quick with the process. When I arrived everything was ready. My credit card authorization form had been processed and was on file.

The two complaints that I have are one there was no coin machine in the laundry room. It would be very helpful to have one of these.The final complaint that I have is that the mattress feels like laying on nothing but a box of springs. It even makes noise everytime you move. For a hotel that has been renevated this much, it was sad to see what a low quality of a matress they chose. It is so uncomfortable that I am considering checking out and getting a room somewhere else. I think that I will try and see if the front desk can accommadate me first since they have done such a great job thus far.

This is the reason why the rating is only average and not good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Monica G
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Ontario Airport, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America-Ontario. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.