“Helping Dad Move”

Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave.
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Orange
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Ok. Always start with the good things first.
Room was upgraded since the last time we stayed there. New carpet, new hardwood flooring in the kitchen area and bathroom. New appliances in the kitchenette. Beds were comfortable. Block out drapes were quite effective. I made a wrong reservation and they were able to accommodate us with a room that we wanted on the spot. We chose this hotel because (I don't need to hear anything about this) because we're smokers and we wanted a room that allowed smoking. We could not smell any smoke from previous tenants. It was convenient to our father's place as we're clearing out his home to move him to a Senior Retirement place.
Now - the not so good.
If you're only using the hotel as a one night event - you will need to know the following:
No bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner). Towels were plentiful, but extremely rough (like they never used softener). No ice machine in the hotel. They have ice trays in the refrigerator - which sucks if you're looking for immediate cooling of drinks. They offer kitchen utensils only if you order the kitchen compliments package. Couldn't even get a wine opener.
Breakfast is continental with coffee, muffins, fruit and granola bars. BUT - if you miss the time frame by more than a minute - you can't even get coffee.
No coffee maker in the room.

Room Tip: Bring some toiletries - they don't offer much. If you're planning on grabbing breakfast - t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm glad that you noticed the upgrades that he had done to our hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your needs in the way of not having a ice machine, I will forward your concerns about this to our senior management for them to look into. Thank you for giving us feed back about our towels and I will reevaluate the current laundry products.

The team and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Worst hotel ever, when I opened the door I thought it was a joke, the room was dirty,I went back to the lobby and I ask for the manager and surprise it was the same guy that game the room, after 20 minutes finally I got another room,the hotel offers a complementary house keeping service after eight nights of staying.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this location while working down the road all summer. The staff could not have been friendlier. Any trouble or concern was promptly fixed and attended to. The location was great for entertainment, sports stadiums and access to major highways in the area. The rooms were hotel rooms... I travel all over the country and to Europe, and the room had all the necessities but they were not glamorous for all those looking for a luxurious stay. Free wifi, great cleaning staff, convenient grab+go breakfast and kitchen area were awesome. Walls/ceilings are thin however. We were only inconvenienced once by a kid running through the hall and in his room right above us for 2 nights... Overall, a smart stay!

Room Tip: Top floor would exclude chances of noisy guests at night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the our staff, location, and amenities. We are pleased to know that our hotel fit your needs during the three months you were here. I will pass on your review to my staff and to my senior management. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Do not stay here. After our 9 night stay at this Katella location, we left having never felt so angry and so indignant by the way the receptionist Gemma had treated us. My wife said Ms. Gemma completely embarrassed her in the lobby, in front of other people during the check-in process when I was out parking the car. My wife was initially surprised when Ms. Gemma told her that our 9-night stay would be charged $813 right then. My wife told her that she thought that it was a pre-paid reservation, in which Ms. Gemma responded in a very curtly manor "Noooo!" My wife asked her to explain, and Ms. Gemma just said that we would be charged $813 right now. When the bill didn't match up to our print-out, my wife asked for further clarification in which she felt Ms. Gemma was very patronizing and condescending towards her. My wife then didn't want to deal with this extremely rude and unprofessional person any longer, and felt quite embarrassed since there were other people in the lobby at the time, she just asked for the room keys in addition to why wasn't the online discount reflected on the bill. Ms. Gemma told her that it would be deducted during checkout. When we checkout this morning at 7 am, we were surprised that no one was there to check us out. It wasn't too early. It was only 7am. The janitor saw us at the counter, and told us to just leave him our name and room number (in which he took down on a stick-it) and told us that, "When the receptionist comes in later, she will properly check you out." We definitely wasn't comfortable with this, but we didn't have any other choice, because simply, the receptionist has not come in to work yet according to the nice gentleman who had to check us out. After our flight home, I called back to make sure that we had properly checked out, and that our discount was applied to our final bill. A girl took my call, and said that we had been checked out of our room. I then asked for the total of our bill, she told us that it was $813 for the 9 nights we had stayed there (about $85 per night). That number didn't match with our records, so I had explained to her what had happened. I said that had there been someone there to properly check us out at 7am, there wouldn't have been a problem with our bill. I said that a janitor had checked us out, and that I shouldn't have to call back to make sure everything was done correctly (and it wasn't at this point, because the amount girl on the phone told us did not have our online discount added to the total). I was shocked when she said, "If you continue to talk to me this way, I'll hang up on you." I said, "What did I say, I was just trying to tell you what happened this morning?" I then asked for her full name, in which she replied, "I'm not going to give you my full name!" I then asked for her name and first initial to her last name. She hung up the phone on me. Feeling very indignant at this point, I immediately called back and asked to speak to her supervisor or her manager. She said to call back in the morning. I told her that I would like to speak to her supervisor now, and this can't wait till the morning. She said no one is here. Whether that is true or not, I do not no. But it's hard to believe that at only 6pm that there is no evening manager or even her superior is there. I then asked for her supervisor's name. She said I can get that name in the morning when I call back. I told her at this point that I just would like her name and her supervisor's name so that I can lodge a complaint against her for the way that my wife and I were treated during and after our stay at her hotel. She refused to give me either name. I then said to her, "Are you refusing to give me your name and your superior's name?" She finally told me her name only, after I had asked her for it 6 times over. My wife who was beside me at the time just could believe how this person was treating us, and how rude and unprofessional she was. Ms. Gemma then taunted us, dared us to call tomorrow and complain about her to her supervisor, but she still wouldn't give us the name of her superior. I am so angry about the way my wife was treated here at this hotel. I'm indignant about the way I was treated by the same person after our stay there when I was just trying to inquire about whether we had check-out properly when no one was there to check us out besides the janitor, and why our bill didn't match. We were charged $79 for 7 nights and $89 for 2 nights for just a queen size bed. It wasn't like we got the hotel for $30 like some of the other posters here. But even if we did, there was absolutely no excuse to treat us this way. We wanted to stay here for the full-kitchen, but the room that Gemma gave us had no utensils, plates, cups and pots. The kitchen was completely empty and useless. But none of that bother us as much as the way we were treated by this individual. She's condescending, extremely rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank InvestorI
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The experience you described is unacceptable. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the poor service you received. We are taking swift action to ensure your experience is not repeated. We will be retraining our staff to make sure we are always providing the quality service that our guests expect and deserve. We also apologize that you were not notified of our customizable kitchen packs available at the front desk. We store our kitchenware in a sterile environment to make sure our guests receive the cleanest items possible.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. Please contact us directly, at org@extendedstay.com, to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel came highly recommended and with the price, location very close to Disney, and free parking we thought it was a good deal. When we pulled up the hotel looked nice from the outside, is in a very nice location with good restaurants and a nice theater all in walking distance. When we walked in the staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby was rather dated looking and the hallways smell of stale smoke, Chinese food, and mildew. The room was small with 2 double beds and a kitchenette. There were no pots, pans, utensils, plates, or a coffee pot as promised. What was in the cabinet was an old, dirty drying rack with someone's dirty sock in it. The bed spreads were mismatched and looked like they had just been laid on. The carpet was stained and had crumbs all over and the closet had no door but a curtain instead. The bathtub had severely leaky faucet and the shower head and drain had water stains all over them. Walking down the halls you can hear people yelling at each other (in more than one room) and the ceilings and floors are so thin you can hear people walking around in the rooms above you.
We were suppose to stay for 5 nights but after no more than 20 minutes we decided to stay for the night since we were paying for it anyway and check ourselves out. I have stayed at cheaper, lower rated hotels and not felt quiet as dirty and uncomfortable. This is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in. The one saving grace was the fact that the hotel had free Wi-Fi so I could sign on to book another hotel for the next 4 nights.

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank devrreia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here as it was adjacent to my friends home.
The staff was very pleasant and helpful.
There were cooking facilities in the room so you could make something if you required.
The room was very clean and comfortable.
There was a grab and go breakfast included in the price which was adequate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank malcolmUK73
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My roommate & I stayed here for a last minute trip to Disneyland. We booked it through Hotels.com so we did not pay full price for the room, which is fortunate because our experience was less than stellar. Both of us have stayed in other Extended Stay properties, so our expectations were higher than usual, because our previous experiences were very good.

We reserved a single queen and then called the hotel to upgrade to 2 beds. When we checked in, they did not have 2 beds available, so we opted for a single king bed to share. When we got to our room, it had not been cleaned, even though the housekeeper noted that she/he did. We notified the front desk, and they apologized and promised to have it cleaned within the hour. We decided to go get some lunch and when we got back to the room, it was cleaned as promised. We couldn't stay in the room however because it STUNK!!! Smoking is allowed in hotels in Orange County, and this room was a smoking room. We decided to change the room to a nonsmoking room which had a smaller bed and the only one available was a handicapped room. That was problematic for two high-maintenance women with lots of beauty products because there was no bathroom vanity. One nit-picky observation: we had a spatula available in our kitchen, but no cookware (or dish soap).

There was also no hairdryer in the room, so I called down to the front desk about around 5:30 - 6:00 PM for one. The front desk attendant put me on hold as she went to check. I stayed on hold for 5 minutes and finally hung up because I got tired of waiting. We went down stairs to go to dinner and the front desk area was dark. Apparently the lady left. When we got back from dinner, she was in so I asked her why she left me on hold. She said "Oh, I went on break", then she haphazardly looked around for a hairdryer without producing one. We called the front desk in the morning, when there was a different attendant, and he was able to find one.

The "grab and go breakfast" is a joke. What is offered to you are 7-11 quality muffins, fruit, and granola bars. I attached a picture...I took it right after the attendant refilled it. You are better off going to the nearby Starbucks and picking up something there.

One good thing about this location: It allows dogs, so if you are traveling with your fur baby, you're in luck. There is also restaurant, a pub, a Starbucks, and a movie theater within walking distance. The restaurant nearby also allows dogs on their patio (and offers a menu for the pooch).

Your experience may be better of you go into into it with lower expectations. We expected more and we were very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MisJennie72000
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. The situation you describe regarding the poor service and condition of your first room is truly regrettable. We will retrain our staff to make sure we are always providing the quality service that our guests deserve. We will also review our cleaning procedures with our housekeeping staff to ensure every room is clean and smells fresh prior to our guest's arrival.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact us at ORG@extendedstay.com. We do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
TownePlace Suites Anaheim Maingate Near Angel Stadium
Ayres Hotel Orange
Ayres Hotel Orange
#1 of 15 in Orange

Been to Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave.

Address: 1635 W Katella Ave, Orange, CA 92867-3412
Region: United States > California > Orange County > Orange
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Orange
Price Range: £69 - £112 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave. 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Extended Stay, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stayamerica Orange County-Katella Ave Hotel Orange
Extended Stay America - Orange County - Katella Ave.
Extended Stay Orange