“Real Persian in Orange”

Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I came here thinking that this was the North OC outpost of Darya in South Coast Plaza. However, after I saw the bill I found out this is the sister restaurant of an outpost in Santa Monica. All 3 just happen to have the same

I recently went to Saffron Grill (SG) in Orange and so I will make some comparisons. I ordered the chicken shish kabob ($11.99). It costs $1 more if you want 1/2 salad and 1/2 rice. I also found out that the difference between chicken kabob and chicken shish kabob is that the kabob only has white meat. The shish kabob has white and dark meat and is considered more flavorful. They also offer a lot of lunch specials: Salads w/ some type of kabob on top, reasonably priced entrees and more expensive & complex dishes.

This dish is $1 more than Saffron Grill and it was worth it. This dish had more flavor compared to SG. SG does provide more food (a full salad is included and you receive a full plate of rice). However, the kabob was more aromatic at Darya and the nan was better quality also: 4 Stars (knocked off one star because of the half-half thing w/ the salad and rice).

The ambiance is nice. The place was buzzing on a Wed around 12:30. There were also a lot of Persians in the restaurant (always a good sign when the natives patronize their own cuisine): 4 Stars. The service was OK. It took a while for someone to acknowledge me and I had to ask for a refill on H20. However, they were not rude: 3 Stars.

The verdict between Darya and Saffron Grill: I like both places and I rated both 4 stars. When I want to spend a little more, do more people watching and eat better tasting shish kabob I will come here. When I feel like having tahdig on the side, I will go to Saffron Grill.

There are newer reviews for Darya Restaurant

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I waited until we ate at this restaurant twice before I reviewed it. We wanted to make sure that the excellent food and service was going to be the same the second time and we were not disappointed. First, they offer a nice glass of wine for $5-7 every day. Second, the salads are among the best we have had in Orange County. The green salad is enough for two and the lime dressing is outstanding. The Shirazi (sp?) salad is a must...a combination of diced cucumbers, tomatoes and onions with a parsley dressing. I am salivating as I write they were so delicious. The kebobs are outstanding with the lamb being my favorite because it is tender and nicely marinated. They are served with deliciously charred vegetables and enough rice for four people. Don't miss the homemade cheesecake for dessert. As I mentioned, both times we had very attentive and thoughtful servers who anticipated our needs. We intend to become regulars.

1  Thank Hulies
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We ate there with friends from the area and felt it was ok, but nothing to write home about. The dishes look very full, but they use a lot of rice. The rice tastes good, but enough is enough. Service was ok and the interior is bland. The vegetables were very good and cooked just right. Over all I'd say it's very average and on the expensive side

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is the second time my husband and I have eaten here. I gave it 5 stars because:
Excellent service....polite...attentive and the food server even gave us some "extra packets of seasoning (sumac) to try at home because I had asked about it.
Superior food and preparation....excellent food quality and good portions...enough to take home and enjoy the next day.
Atmosphere wonderful....we went when they were not crowded so the it was not noisy as someone mentioned. Nice soft music in the background.
Yes, dinner is a little pricy...and I want to remember to come for lunch as the prices are much lower.

1  Thank Lynne L
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This was my first trip to this place and it was decent enough that I would make a second visit just to try something else. The service was fine, the place was rather loud as it seemed everyone was talking and the noise carried throughout the entire place. I had the lamb, rice, and roasted tomato and it was a tasty treat that was quite filling. i was a bit dissappointed though in there really wasn't anything on the menu that was spicy but sometimes you just deal without the opportunity for heat. The only issue I might have is the ladies greeting us seemed miffed that they had to do some work.

1  Thank wkrupa