“Check-in disaster”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Orange
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Check-in disaster”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stopped by the hotel the previous day to pay in advance and "grease the skids" so my visiting elderly father wouldn't have to produce a credit card and he would feel "treated like a king". The check-in desk ruined the entire "king thing" and completely embarrassed me (making me appear to have serious financial problems). The first check-in person demanded he produce a credit card for "incidentals" even though I had previously signed paperwork where I agreed to pay for all charges in advance. Even after I stepped in, she remained adamant that dad was required to reach into his wallet. Finally, the front desk supervisor straightened things out. As the check-in resumed, the supervisor pulled me off to the side and said my AmEx card was no good. Then she ran my VISA card and told me it was rejected. As my elderly father, with cane, waited (still standing) at the front desk, so also ran my MasterCard and another VISA card of mine ... all declined! At this point I was sure my identity had been stolen. I paid the fee charged by the lobby ATM and booked dad's room with cash and finally got the room key. When I got up to the room, I called the credit card companies. They all assured me all was well (no stolen identity or holds placed on the cards) and told me the hotel hadn't even tried to place a charge against my cards. They said the hotel credit card terminal must have been faulty ... why didn't the supervisor think to try another terminal? I then called the supervisor to complain and fill her in on the situation. She still insisted she was in the right but agreed to take $50 off the bill to assuage me and get me off the phone. Of course, to top things off, they only refunded $37 during check-out.

4 Thank S6784EHtomb
DoubleTreeOrange, Sales Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
We’re sorry we didn’t provide a high quality of service when you were checking in with your father. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. We apologize that the credit card terminal was faulty and your feedback helps make us aware of the situation. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Kind Regards,
DoubleTree by Hilton Anaheim/Orange Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Customer service was outstanding. I booked two rooms for my family, and the rooms were clean, and very neatly arranged. The service was so good that we extended another night of stay. By the way, the complimentary cookies were delicious.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubleTreeOrange, Sales Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange. We aim to make every stay the best stay possible. We hope to see you again next time you are in town to welcome you back with a cookie.
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Visited for 4 nights to see the Disneyland attractions. Great service, welcoming staff. Older property, but clean. Awesome military rate that includes breakfast. Enjoyed the valet service, but didnt like that i had to pay for parking at the hotel. Nice location, convienient to shops, etc. Free shuttle to the parks daily. Would stay again, but only for Disney visit/free shuttle, as I would pay $15 for disney parking anyway.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DoubleTreeOrange, Sales Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear you had an excellent stay with us here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Anaheim-Orange County. We hope that next time you are in town to visit Disneyland, you will stay with us again and have yet another enjoyable stay.
Orange, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The room was very clean and the staff was very responsive. My only dislike was having to pay for parking. That should be a standard perk available for hotel guest. Other than that, the location was great. We stayed at the hilton because we were going to a concert at the honda center. The taxi drive was very short - it cost 8 dollars each way.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DoubleTreeOrange, Sales Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to read that you had a good experience during your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Anaheim Orange. As for our parking charges are typical of all the branded, full service hotels in the surrounding district. Our main priority is for you to feel welcomed and comfortable during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon for another great stay.
México, Mexico
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A good experience since the beginning I enjoyed the Doble Tree facilities and good service that I received! It is a very good option for business, workshops, etc. and have fun at the same time! The staff is very kind and they are always ready to help you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to read that you had a good experience during your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Anaheim Orange. We are happy to read from your review that you had a good experience with our staff. Our main priority is for you to feel welcomed and comfortable during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon for another great stay.
Sacramento, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Staying at the Double Tree by Hilton at Anaheim-Orange County for a week long hosted business conference was one of the better experiences that I'll had at such an event. Staff was extremely courteous and service for both the business conference and the rooms was first rate. Probably one of the things that made the biggest impression was the speed of the elevator system. Easily one of the most efficient bank of elevators I've run across. The two things I missed were a second phone on the desk, and mini-refridgerator.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to read that you had a good experience during your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Anaheim Orange. Our main priority is for you to feel welcomed and comfortable during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon for another great stay.
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here while in Orange for business, as a longtime Marriott member I was surprised at the quality of the hotel. Nice friendly staff and great customer service. This will be our hotel of choice when we are in the area for work again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
ALO Hotel
#1 of 15 in Orange
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
#6 of 118 in Anaheim

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Anaheim - Orange County? Share your experiences!