“ENJOYED RESTUARANT”
Review of Palm Cafe & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orick
Palm Cafe & Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orick
Nanaimo, Canada
“ENJOYED RESTUARANT”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Went for lunch at the palm....had the truckers club house with onion rings.....it was great. What impressed me was everyone is treated as a local... Got a big coffee cup [local joke]. I happened to take a business card when I left.....good thing I did. I left my pile jacket behind on the chair. I phoned them 4 hours later and 200 miles up the road....it was there....they mailed it to me....thanks Jerry r!!!!!!
I'll stop again when I am in the area...excellent example of coastal town cafe....I have been to many....

Room Tip: Just PASSING Through....no over night stay....
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Nanaimo11

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I must admit that I din't think too much of this place when I first came. The rooms are clean but old. And the wifi is spotty. That being said, there are some lovely things going on here when you look a little deeper than the first impression. My last couple of visits I had the pleasure of speaking with Martha, the 85 year old owner of the motel and cafe. She has seen a lot happen in this town as she raised 30 foster children in the vicinity. Her native american foster son, Jerry told me how the school used to have over 200 kids in it during the heyday of the lumber industry. But since that industry moved away, the school now only has 15 kids there and none of the children are hanging around the town.

But regardless of the state of things, Martha still makes some incredible food. My wife and I are extreme food lovers (we went to Japan and Spain for our honeymoon because of the food) and Martha's blackberry pie (made from local blackberries) is honestly one of the best pies I've had. It's unfortunate that such a fine pie is served with soft serve ice-cream as opposed to a scoop of some homemade or Bryers vanilla, but that is something I am willing to overlook. She also cans and smokes her own local salmon. You can pick some up at the store front. Her salmon cakes are fantastic if you are lucky enough to ask her about them (they are not on the menu). The rest of the food, that is made by her cooks is decent, but nothing to write home about. Oh yeah, she also makes her own homemade elderberry wine. Her husband and a couple of her children recently passed on. When I spent some time with her she was more than grateful for the sincere gratitude.

Do yourself a favor and try some of her pie next time you are in town. You won't regret it.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Hankopotamus
Sydney
Reviewed 20 November 2011

One of the last places to stay if you want to see the Redwoods in the morning, unless you're camping. It was a very run down roadside motel, in a very run down town. But clean and the owners were very hospitable and we spelt fine.
The diner attached to the motel was great, home cooked meals, great service and a real local hang out which was different to the majority of non American tourist will see. My first ever biscuits and gravy, and now that I know what it is, it will be my last!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank biptutti
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Well, we had a great lunch at this diner. Not the most impressive architecture, or even perhaps cleanliness, but hey, it's an ALL AMERICAN Mom and Pop's grease diner in the middle of an ALL AMERICAN forest town. The town is just at the foot of the great and mighty REDWOOD forest so please do not expect fancy 5 star service as in a fancy 5 star hotel as YOU WILL NOT GET IT HERE. That's because you are in the middle of CAMPGROUND America. Expect RUGGED adventure and do not come here with manicured nails because at some point, when you are trekking the Fern Canyon trail, you will have to take your SHOES OFF!
I have to say this diner filled me up after a half day of hiking and climbing rocks at Patrick's Point, then another half days of slipping, hopping, and slithering through Fern Canyon trail. If adventure is not in your blood, do not come here. The place is not for the faint of heart.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Unlevel ,musty , broke down rooms should be condemned. The pool was ice water, when I asked why was told that it would cost too much to turn heater on. Tried to eat at the restaurant that was recommended by locals but couldn't stomach it after Stubby (the local) showed me his agent orange blister that was oozing pus. My baby sliced his fingers on some broken decor in the room and we had to use our bags to barricade him from power outlets with no covers. The baby also found a cigarette but and started choking on it. If you are thinking of staying anywhere in orick don't. Keep driving to the next town, tweeaky!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank jerodlogan

Travellers are raving about these Orick hotels

Silver Springs, Nevada
Reviewed 20 August 2011

This motel has really gone downhill,We have stayed there 3 times before and it was even though the rooms were musty the service was ok.
This time we stayed in a room where the doors stuck the toilet flooded and the shower door came off and flooded the floor. The fire alarm chirped from the steam in the room. There was no microwave or coffee pot so people would have to go to the cafe which was expensive and the coffee was weak. The bed was not comfortable .We have decided not to stay at this place anymore . With The money We paid we could have stayed in a nicer place and not been inconvenienced. bad experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Cowbard
US
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Didn't stay at the hotel, but had breakfast here while passing through. Tough to find a restaurant in this part of California when visiting the Redwoods. We were told to try "The Palm" for a great American breakfast. Very kitchy and could be cleaner, but this restaurant fit the bill for the American breakfast. Good portion size. Pancakes were tasty, but a little dry. Steak was a little chewy. Hash browns were just right - crisp and golden. Coffee was good. Breakfast for four was $35. - a good value for us. Servers were pleasant. The Palm is a decent choice to get your day started in the Redwoods.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank UsFuntraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orick
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Arcata/Eureka Holiday Inn Express
The Lost Whale Inn
The Lost Whale Inn
#1 of 5 in Trinidad

Been to Palm Cafe & Motel? Share your experiences!