“A Gem in the Ancient Forest”
Review of Palm Cafe & Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orick
Palm Cafe & Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Orick
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I must admit right up front, we did not stay at the Palm Motel, as we were camping in Trinidad....but....If you are in need of a plca to stop along the Redwood Highway, this is it. From the outside, it looks a little rustic, and probably a little daunting, but as the only motel in this town, it is fantastic...but the real gem lies in the Cafe.
We stopped here with our group, and wanted a slab of pie, and coffee, and it looked sort of "locals only" kind of place. Inside, the owners were seated having coffee, and the younger front man was slinging a hamburger to the only other couple in the place. We were greeted well, and sat ourselves, immediately handed water and menus. Frienly and good as gold staff made us feel welcomed, and valued, as we ordered our pie. I am no chef, or baker, but the pies we received were some of the best ever. There was peach, apple, lemon merangue, chocolate and maybe others. We shared with each other, and marveled at how good this pie really was.
The next evening, we went back, giving us more time to speak with the locals, and the staff at the cafe. Frienly, golden service will always keep us coming back to a place, but that pie.....yes, it is that good. This night, there were even more, many of which the 85 year old owner and her sister whip up in the morning....and I was lucky enough to have the best lemon merangue pie I had ever eaten. (in fact, I odered two, lemon, and key lime) The owners also brought out some apple dumplings for us to try, which still give me goosebumps, how good they were.
I could go on and on, but I really want to make this clear: This is by far the neatest stop you will make on your trip through the Redwoods, on the Redwood Highway. Stopping eben for a slab of fantastic pie, will ensure this coastal institution will stay in business for a long time. I liked it so much, that if you stop there, and do not like what you had, I`ll pay for your meal. In short, a little place like the Palm Cafe is really, really a memorable stop, and you will tell your friends as well.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DaveFrancis

Reviewed 31 August 2010

The truth is our room seemed a little pricey, but if you want to stay at the "Mark Hopkins" stay in San Francisco! There wasn't a level spot on the floor in the whole room, but the shower was hot, and had better water pressure than many a place I've stayed. My shower leaked and the glass was broken, but the toilet flushed good! Of coarse the place smelled a little, just like any old house near the ocean. Now the floor of the Cafe might not have been the cleanest, but the restroom was sure clean. The people that worked in the Cafe were the friendliest folks you'd want to meet, and the food was second to none! I ate three meals there and I havn't had food like that since my Mother made it. I would recommend this place to anyone who isn't to uppity to relax and enjoy the hand you are delt.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Wow what a trip down memorie lane. When we arived Aunt Bea (Martha/Owner) greated us with a smile and said "Welcome!". Our room was clean and very comfortable. Yes there is some updateing need but all in all a wonderful room. We were looking for a relaxing weekend with no disturbance and that is what we received. The next morning we walked over to the cafe and again was greated by the staff and Aunt Bea was sitting at the end of the counter. She piped in and asked us what our plans were for the day and asked us to come back for lunch and after the huge breakfast we were sure coming back for lunch. The price was great for the amount of food we received. I recomend the coconut cream pie to anyone who loves coconut cream pie. Also, the biskets and greavy is to die for!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I stayed at the Palms in February I had no problems with getting a room. The price is not that bad considering how close you are to the ocean and the Redwoods. I am from Tennessee and to come to find out the owner is origianlly from Tennessee. She and her husband was extremely kind to me and my friends. The rooms are a little out dated but they were cleaned. The bed was soft. I had to let the water run just a little while to warm up and I had plenty of hot water. The resturant served great breakfast meals and also our dinner meals were great. I was only going to stay a couple of days but we ended up staying seven days. I did enjoy the convience of being close. I must say the only problem I had was the loud noise coming from that biker bar. I could have done without the noise or even looking at it. It looked like it was possesed by the devil

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Terrible, unclean, and we got BED BUGS that ended up coming home with us!

Then to top it off they charged us for 3 nights when we only stayed for 2. When we asked if we could get a refund for one night they said sure, but when I get my bank statement I found out the charged me for an addition night.

SO ENDED UP PAYING FOR 4 NIGHTS WHEN WE ONLY STAYED FOR 2. Trust me you don't wan to stay here, you're better off sleeping in your car.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank sdgoienh999ee
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Our car broke down, only hotel available, they charged up $80 for one room. The room smelled like mold, no hot water, the rooms are old and in desperate need of up dating. The toilette leaked as a result the bathroom floor was always wet. When I brought these issues to the manager/owner the next day, her language was abusive and angry. She told me I was wrong and she did us a favor by checking us in late. Needless to say, Don't Stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Jamiemclaws
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I have stayed at The Palm several times and eaten at the restaurant during my stay. Sure, it is an older establishment but that is not all bad. My rooms were always clean and I had no problems with bad smells. I am making plans to return this summer and plan on staying at The Palm again. Our service has always been friendly and efficient in the motel and restaurant both. Our meals have been very good food with generous servings and priced right.
Short distance from the motel we could see elk, walk through the redwoods and visit many beaches. When I travel I want to be able to relax, staying at The Palm provided me with that luxury.
Thank you to the owners and staff for your outstanding service.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orick
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Trinidad Inn
Trinidad Inn
#4 of 5 in Trinidad
Arcata/Eureka Holiday Inn Express

Been to Palm Cafe & Motel? Share your experiences!