“Delicious”

Snack Shack
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Orick
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

This place makes great hamburgers. My son and I were hiking up Redwood Creek and decided to try this place out. We've passed it by for years. I'm so glad we stopped. As good as, or better than Stars. Better than In and Out. I wish it was closer to home. Cash only.

There are newer reviews for Snack Shack

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were hungry so stopped. We should have kept driving. We ordered a hamburger and hot dog. What you can do wrong with it. They however managed to do it. We waited for more than twenty minutes and we got was completely burned hot dog. Awful..

1  Thank azlari
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I know there is not much choice in Orick, but having read the previous reviews, we thought we'd stop in for lunch on our way to Eureka.

Lunch turned out to cost more than some dinners!

We were in our truck & 5th wheel trailer and there was a place to park right along the highway, so that was good :-) There was only one fellow there who was quite friendly, so that was good also.

From there, our experience went downhill.
The food was slow in coming out.
Very slow.
Think glacially slow.

We spent the waiting time looking in the dusty, odd store next door. It is sort of a combination of a harware store / knick knack shop / museum. It was warmer than waiting outside since this was February and there was a brisk wind blowing.

Finally, our food was ready. We took it back to our trailer because it was too cold to eat outside.

My husband had the "biggest" hamburger they had which turned out to be only 6 ounces, not a half-pounder. It was also about $10. He said it was "okay", nothing more. When I asked how it compared to a Burger King Whopper, he made a face and said BK didn't have anything to worry about :-(

We also ordered a deluxe foot long hot dog to split. I can't remember what it had on it, bacon and chili I think, but it was *not* good at all. We ended up throwing most of it away.

The fries were pretty darn bad, to be honest, kind of limp and I think the oil needed to be changed. They were not piping hot, in fact they were a tad cool. I suspect they had been waiting whilst our other food finished cooking. Somehow we got an extra portion which I'm sure we were charged for but didn't order.

The high point was my grilled chicken burger which actually was quite good. It ought to be for $10!

We really *wanted* to like this place as we try to support small businesses, but with our total lunch cost at a bit over $30 for so-so food, we sadly won't stop by again.

1  Thank half-Brit
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We were touring the Redwoods National & State Parks and thought we'd stop at the Snack Shack for lunch based on the high TA reviews. Hubby and I both had a cheeseburger. Even though this is basically a fast food joint, the burgers took a LONG time to come to the window. There were some people in front of us, but they were served, had lunch and gone before our food came out.

I was also surprised that a cheeseburger and fries cost $8.25. We're not from California, so maybe this is a good price, but it seemed expensive for pretty much the same thing I can get at McDonald's or Burger King. Except it is a 6oz patty. All cooked to medium well. Not my preference, but at least it was cooked as advertized. There's no place to sit but outside.

I liked my burger OK, but hubby wasn't as impressed. He rated his a C-. The ingredients were usual (lettuce, onion, tomato) and fresh. The fries were adequate, but I think they need to change the frying oil more often.

The owners are friendly, she in front and him at the grill. The soft drinks are in cans (reasonable at $1.70), but no free refills.

The food is adequate, but I was expecting so much more based on previous reviews. In the future, I'd probably eat in Crescent City before driving down to the park.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

The mex bacon cheeseburger was great and the fries better than most with the onion rings the only complaint. The half and half shake was superb. Outdoor dining in a town hopefully on it's way back.