“Consistently good”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
“Consistently good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I live in Orinda and eat at Shelby's several times a year. I must say the food is consistently good and the staff is super friendly. It's not an adventurous theme restaurant, and I find it hard to pigeon hole their eclectic menu. Californian? Some Greek? A bit of Italian? A touch of Asia?

They offer an excellent, inventive variety of soups, sandwiches and entrees. The vegetables are very fresh and the Niman Ranch burger is excellent, large and reasonably priced. For lunch last week, I shared a delicious fried brie appetizer and had a soup and sandwich combo--yummy lentil and bacon soup, Napa Melt sandwich (chicken salad with cranberries, swiss cheese), shoestring fries. Excellent. My luncheon host had the grilled chicken and mango salad, which my wife thinks is superb. And I love their free cheese bread twists. While I usually ask for lemon to put in my water at every restaurant, Shelby's puts fresh lemon and orange in their water pitchers as standard procedure, which I appreciate.

I was particularly pleased that while the service was very attentive, we were not rushed at all as we were having a long business discussion. However, it was not that crowded at our weekday lunch. But even at dinner, the restaurant is often busy but not packed.

There is validated 3 hour parking for the Orinda Theatre garage below. And it is a very short walk from the BART station, which was convenient for my host who came in from San Francisco. It's no surprise that Shelby's has prospered for years while many of the other restaurants in Theatre Square seem to come and go.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank castriker888

“Best burger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I try to get here weekly, & usually order their burger, which is so juicy and delicious. On warm nights, almost all the customers sit outdoors, which is very pleasant and relaxing. Service is excellent.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank ankplasma
Pleasant Hill, California
“Great Restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I'd have to say this restuarant is GREAT! The ambiance is great, the waiters and management is great and most of all the FOOD is great!!!! I enjoy eating here so much I have my friends and family coming now. The Grilled Chicken Cesar Salad and Mango Salad taste wonderful. Please when you go try the sweet potato chips with the dipping sauce, very addicting and super good.

Orinda, California
“I really like this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Seasonal, fresh and tastefully done food. I am always pleased. They have nice friendly and attentive staff. sometimes the service is a little slow, but I prefer not to be rushed when I am having a meal.

Visited March 2012
Orinda, California
“Shelby's at Theatre Square, Orinda, CA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My wife and I are Orinda residents and have eaten at Shelby's several times in the past year or so. I highly recommend this restaurant! Located in Theatre Square in the "crossroads" section of downtown Orinda, by the Orinda Theatre, the food and service have been outstanding. There is another restaurant that opened recently just across the walkway in the square and it seems to draw all the crowds and the wait times. When my wife and I couldn't get in there one night we decided to walk the 20 feet to Shelby's, which had no waiting at all, and we were greatly rewarded for making that choice. The service couldn't have been better, and the food was delicious and presented beautifully. I think we've been there at least three times since then and our experience has always been very positive. This is a top notch restaurant in Orinda. Well worth the visit!!

• Visited March 2012