“Casino with everything” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Oroville
Chico, California
“Casino with everything”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed at Gold Country several times. The rooms are always very clean and the bathrooms are huge. We love the views from our rooms. Either the foothills or the parking lot are nice at night. We sometimes like to people watch so, we get a room over the parking area. If we want solitude we book one looking out over the foothills. Open the drapes at night pull up the loveseat and relax. If we stay on a Friday or Saturday night we go down to the Spirits Lounge and dance to some good live music. The venue changes every week. We usually get room service early so, we can be pampered. Good food. We love the pot roast. Plus the rolls are to die for. Service is always great. Only negative thing is we don't smoke so, we have to take a shower before bed. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you stay on New Years Eve and want to sleep don't get a room over the balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krista h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hilmar, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I really liked this hotel and would stay there again. My family stayed in a standard room with two queen beds on the 5th floor. My initial impression of the room was that it smelled clean and was very spacious. The room was larger that the standard rooms at most hotels in California; we even had enough room for two additional cots for the kids. The bathroom was extremely large for a standard room; a large stand alone shower, two people could share the bathtub and I believe they could have fit an entire bed in the bathroom...it's that large. We were able to sleep well, the beds were comfortable and we heard no noise from other guests.

We ate at the buffet twice. For breakfast and lunch. Food is prepared in small batches and is fresh. The cooks are friendly and attentive. However, it can be difficult to get the wait staffs' attention even during off-peak times.

I disagree with the posts that say the casino and hotel are outdated and worn. I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of the hotel and the buffet restaurant. I have not stayed at the other casino/hotel in Oroville, so I cannot compare the two. I can compare it to other casino/hotels in the Sierra Nevada mountains and for the price it is superior. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank WendyJeepchick
Lakeport, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I were excited to visit our family in Oroville for my birthday this year. I called ahead to obtain a quote for a nice room with a king-sized bed. I was quoted a $79.00 price for a room and buffet breakfast. I was excited to know we would have a nice stay at a very reasonable rate. When we got to the reservation desk, I was told that the price for the room and breakfast was not as I understood it to be. After talking with the manager and explaining that I was sure I had been quoted this on the phone, the manager VERY graciously offered us the room and buffet at the $79.00 price and told the reservation clerk to be sure and give us a room with a balcony. We thanked him for understanding. He left. I then asked the clerk on which floor the pool was located. When she stated they didn't have a pool, we all realized that I had mixed up the casinos. We were not at the one I had called! I was so embarrassed, but was so grateful that the Gold Country Casino insisted that we stay and have a great time. WE DID!!! We ended up taking our grandchildren to the on-site bowling alley and had a wonderful time. Later, we had a wonderful prime rib dinner at the 6th floor steakhouse. The food, service and especially the crab cakes were amazing!
The room was nice, clean, and I had lots of pillows. Most impressive of all was the hospitality displayed by the Hospitality Director. Thank you for a great time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ktip5691
SF Bay Area, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Hotel:
At first I thought the room rate was a little pricey. Later I realized the rate they quote you is actually the rate you pay. There is no hotel taxes or other fees added on.

My room on the 6th floor was very nice. It was very clean. The bathroom was huge. There was a small refrigerator in the room. A couple of things may have been a little outdated looking like the window coverings and the bedspread, but everything was clean and in working order. All of the hotel employees were polite and professional.

I only ate at the 24 Hour Cafe. The food was average or good. The Steakhouse menu looked great, but I never ate there.

Casino:
The casino was good. I played mostly video poker and blackjack. The video poker payouts aren't as good as you can find in Reno. My only disappointment was that there is no cigar or pipe smoking in the casino, but they allow cigarette smoking. I was looking forward to sitting at the bar, playing video poker and enjoying a cigar with a drink.

By using their Player's Club Card, you get some cash back from slot and video poker play. You also get some cash comps from playing blackjack that you can put toward the hotel room or restaurants.

I will go back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jpmurff
Pahoa, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I came here to visit my Father, who lives in Oroville. We have a history of not getting along very well, but still I make the effort once a year to fly from my home in Hawaii to visit him. I always stay at a motel or hotel as a neutral spot, in case the visit goes wrong. This year it went very wrong. On the first day, we were in a major fight, and I was now looking at 4 nights/5 days with nothing to do.
I chose the right hotel!! I'm not a gambler (was in casino industry for 27 years), but lavished in the Gold Country's resort. The room was fit for a king. The restaurants were amazing. The prices were very low. The staff made me feel like family. I was on the 5th floor. Treated like a king in every way. HUGE sunken bathtub, with rubber duckie included! Eat in the steakhouse!! AWESOME! Buffet was wonderful, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper level for a better view, and more quiet, away from the casino. My no-smok...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank banyannook
Paradise, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We recently had a great time visiting this local casino/hotel. Both my wife and I were surprised at the luxury of the room and the fine dinner house. While we basiclly broke even at the casino we had a wonderful time at dinner, and we felt very safe and relaxed in our large suite on the 6th floor.

We purchased a special "all in one" package for $160.00. This special included the king jacuzzi suite, a bottle of wine, a five course meal, and $20.00 in vouchers to get us started in the casino. The staff even brought us cookies and milk just after arrival, as this special was called the "broken resolutions special."

We'd requested a king jaquzzi suite on the sixth floor for the view, and they didn't disappoint. It was great because the windows in the room were from celing to floor, with a great view. The bathroom was huge with both the jacuzzi tub and a seperate shower, his and her sinks, and an even more private room for the toilet. There were also his and her robes ready and waiting after getting out of the jacuzzi tub. Matter a fact, there was even a little rubber duck sitting on the edge of the tub. What a touch!

If you're looking to get away from reality and do something completely differant, casino resorts may be one way to go. We had a wonderful time and felt relaxed both during and after our stay.

Happy traveling!

Room Tip: Gold Country Casino has many types of rooms, from standard queen to luxury king jaquzzi suites, and...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FishinOregon
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Parking was easy, up front. Hotel receptionist was friendly and fast. Gave us top room with a view (not much views here tho). Room was big and clean, nice big windows. Bathroom is as big as bedroom, very nice. The bed was a little over used, a slight valley in the middle. Not flat and firm. The heater worked great. Very convenient for playing in casino. Bathroom could use more than two towels, min of 3 is suggested. The casino luck was so-so and the buffet was decent, good service.

Room Tip: Rooms were $135 on weekends and $80 on Sunday - Thursday. $135 is a bit steep for this room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeep_Rick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oroville
The Lodge at Feather Falls Casino
Days Inn Oroville
Days Inn Oroville
#8 of 11 in Oroville
Quality Inn, Near Chico State

Been to Gold Country Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!