“Ocean View with Hot Tub on the Balcony”

Channel Island Shores
Reviewed 18 March 2012

If I have to complain, the only thing will be that it was VERY hard to find, especially in the dark. We were going around the place a couple times with no idea that we were there. However, the unit was great! The queen bed was comfortable, the living room was OK size with a pull-out sofa. The kitchen had everything with an ocean view from the window. There was a bay view window in the dining room with a lot of pillows. Nice to sit there and read. The hot tub was also awsome on the big size balcony.

Fifty feet away, there is the beach. It was great walking on the beach. Surprisingly, there weren't many people there, even though it was a long holiday weekend.

It was a much needed relaxing long weekend for us! :)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank floatingsoul

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Not sure how I came across this timeshare-vacation rental TripAdvisor lists as a hotel, but sure glad we did! We stayed here three nights and it cost less than the hotels we were considering. Ours was a one-bedroom unit without ocean view. Next time we'll check out an ocean view unit, hopefully.
PROS: There was a feeling of general care by the staff, from registration, to maintenance, to housekeeping. Very clean. Well-equipped newer kitchen, real hangers in closets (hate those ones you can't move), close to beach, comfortable bed and living room furniture, free laundry room (very clean), free internet. No pressure or even a mention of attending a timeshare sales session like we had to fight off at Diamond Resorts in Sedona.
CONS (more like suggestions): 1. Icky dated oak toilet seat on older style toilet (not elongated), but I've a feeling the bathroom is on the list for updates since the kitchen seemed recently updated. Please, even just that toilet seat? 2. Bedspread on bed -- never like those since it's impossible to tell if they're clean -- and they touch the pillow cases we sleep on, although this bedspread looked very clean. Perhaps duvets will be considered in next upgrades. 3. We didn't try the hot tub after reading negative reviews, but I usually shy away from those anyway. 4. Small TV's, especially the bedroom one (which we always love to use on vacation since we don't have that at home) -- I'm sure the screen was less than 25" and was about 10-12 feet away from the head of the bed. 5. Our bedroom was fairly noisy with the window open since it overlooked tons of hot tubs churning away, and the people in them.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This was a great place just feet from the beach. Our "condo" had a master bedroom and a loft with a queen bed. It was well equipped, quiet and relaxing. The private jacuzzi on the patio was a plus. We were there in December and weren't sure how the weather would be but it was perfect. As past Californians we were hesitant to spend a vacation in Oxnard, but it has definitely grown up and we would go back to Channel Islands Shores in a heartbeat. The inside is a little "tired" and in need of updating, but that's secondary to us. It was clean and everyone was very nice.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank grammajamma
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My wife and i spend a week with my kids and had such a good time that we are planing coming back. Tina was really nice. She was all smiles. we arrive early and our room was ready. Checking in was really easy. My kids enjoy the beach and the playground.Our hot tub was nice and clean.Enjoy walking on the beach with my wife.We really had a good time. Can't wait to come back next year.

Room Tip: Beach really close to our room.kids enjoy playing at the beach and playground
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ana L
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I have developed a very nasty rash that has been confirmed as being 'hot tub rash'. After each time I got in the hot tub I took a shower immediately afterwards but I still contacted this rash, and it looks my six year old son has it also. This rash lasts for 7-10 itchy days and then I will have scars for several months.

We were not impressed by the maid service either. They took out the trash and gave us a pile of clean towels and that was it.

Room Tip: Do not use the hot tub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank RTR32511
Reviewed 8 September 2011

My parents travelled here with my kids for a week. They had a good time since my kids are 2 and 3 and had a blast playing in the sand and in the mini playground equipment and swings. The proximity to the beach is a huge plus, which is why I'm giving a rating of two. The issue is that each of the rooms have a hot tub on the deck or balcony. Great, right? Well, not if they're not clean and poorly maintained. My kids came home with rashes called Hot Tub Folliculitis, basically and bacterial infection of their hair follicles caused by the dirty hot tub (probably improper filtration system or not enough chlorine). I'll admit this could happen to anyone, but what really gets to me is that when I called the management to let them know, so that they could prevent this from happening to anyone else, the person who answered was very nonchalant, didn't ask any questions, just asked for the room number and said they'd tell the manager. No "sorry that this happened to you" or "thank you for letting us know." Extremely poor customer service in my opinion...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank BuddyMax
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We arrived on a Friday the 13th which was our lucky day! We had arrived early but our unit was ready in 20 minutes.The check in went smoothly. The staff was very helpful. Tina was wonderful and was extremely helpful! The units were fine. We had our own hot tub outside in our private patio. The washer and dyer was a plus. Daily towel exchange and trash removal. We loved the location as it was in a residential area. We enjoy walking and this was perfect for us. There a beautiful park and the marinas are near by. There are several great resturants in the area. Mrs Olsen for breakfast is a must. Sea Feash Channel Islands and the Italian Job, both on the marinas are worth the trip there.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank morty725
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme

Been to Channel Island Shores? Share your experiences!