“Beautiful and relaxing”

“Beautiful and relaxing”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This resort has such beautiful views, so close to a quiet, peaceful beach and just minutes from the harbor. I got to enjoy the jacuzzi tub on the balcony of my room while sipping wine and listening to the waves crash under the stars. Doesn't get much better than that. Aside from that, the rooms are spacious, had a washer/dryer and are very clean. The staff is so wonderful and obviously genuinely care about the resort and the guests. I'll be back next month!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank AmandaNixole
Jmores01, General Manager at Channel Island Shores, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Hi AmandaNixole,
We're so glad we could welcome you to beautiful Channel Island Shores. There's tons of peace and quiet to be enjoyed, as well as relaxing in the jacuzzi. We are looking forward to your return next month. See you then!

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My husband, daughter and I spent a delightful weekend recently at your resort. I have relatives in Santa Barbara and Goleta and have driven from San Diego north to visit them many times. Besides a quick exit on Rose for Costco, I had never spent any time in Oxnard. From the minute we pulled up to the Channel Island Shores, we were in love.
The rooms were ridiculously spacious and clean. We had two bedrooms upstairs each with their own ensuite. The kitchen was generously sized and well stocked. The hot tub was a wonderful touch and we did enjoy using it!
The front office staff gave us a tip on a restaurant that we visited for Saturday morning breakfast. The food was delicious with generous portions and excellent service.
The beach was pristine and not at all crowded and parking was painless and well thought out.
All in all, a wonderful experience. You'll be seeing us again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindee S
Jmores01, General Manager at Channel Island Shores, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Hi Cindee S,
We're delighted to have hosted you and your family at Channel Island Shores while visiting your relatives. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and relaxing in the hot tub. Our staff is always ready to give our guests helpful tips on restaurants and shops to visit. We're happy you had a great time and look forward to your return!

Kind Regards,
Jennifer Brown
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Very close to a lightly used beach that has beautiful views and surfing waves, with lots of sand and a childrens play area.
This is a timeshare complex, so all units are condos, but well appointed and comfortable with lots of free parking, even covered if preferred. We love it!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 1 bdrm upstairs unit that faced the beach and had ocean views, including from our hot...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Tucson
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was an RCI timeshare exchange for us and, to be honest, we were a little reluctant to try Oxnard. What could it possibly have to offer? As it turns out, plenty! This is a small complex, the inventory shows 25 total units in 5 buildings and it is located steps from the beach. This part of Oxnard is on the Channel Island Beach front, a point that juts out into the ocean a bit. Building #5 has some peek-a-boo views of the beach from the upper floors (we stayed in building #5 and got a kitchen window peek).

The amenities include: free internet (decent speed), a free washer and dryer in each building (bring your own detergent as you cannot buy it in a coin-op on-site machine), 6' square nice fiberglass spa on your deck (each unit has their own), and a fully equipped kitchen. Note: bring your own shampoo as this is not an amenity that is provided (the shower dispenser holds shower gel, not shampoo). The bedroom is generously sized and holds a king-size bed. The bathroom counters have a retro, fun small tile (think Craftsman influence) and easily holds all the supplies needed. Nice propane bbq on your deck, too. Lighter for the BBQ is in the lower kitchen drawer).

You can easily walk to the harbor (1 and 1/3 miles) and there are so very many activities to explore there. Go to www.marineemporiumlanding.com for an index of all the businesses. You can find out about the super Farmer's Market on Sundays 10 a.m. to 2 p..m. (fresh fish from boats available too) and you can also explore the water activities by going to the websites listed at the Marine Emporium Landing website.

There's a cute little beach park grouping of play equipment just out the door and by the beach and a much bigger play equipment choice at the huge Oxnard Park located between this timeshare and the Embassy Suites compound (it is a biggie!), which you can walk by on your way to the harbor. So many fun things going on there: kites being flown, volleyball games in progress, many exercise classes in progress, you name it and you can probably find it here.

Negatives, there are a few. Building #5 backs on another complex's pool and you do hear the equipment run almost constantly and then there are the cheerful (but loud) children's voices up until 10 p.m.when the pool is supposed to close. Those little shrieking voices do carry! (Think nails on a blackboard). There is no fitness center and no pool (each unit has their own spa outside on the deck).

This complex looks like it may have been an apartment complex at one time and was converted to a timeshare condo. Given the generous size of the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and the number of closets, in our experience this is not something we usually found in our past timeshare exchanges. There is also assigned carport and parking spaces for each unit.

Very homey, free popcorn in the office, lots of books to take, games, movies, and brochures for local things to do. Include a trip to Ojai and to Camarillo Outlet Mall for a change of pace. This is not an easy place to find, the signage is almost non-existant. This development is smack-dab in the middle of a large condo community so looking for this needle in a haystack will be challenging.

Room Tip: Ask for another building besides building #5 as the pool and equipment for another complex is right...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank on_the_go_98765
PIVacations, Manager at Channel Island Shores, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you had such a pleasant stay here at Channel Island Shores. Next to the beach and nestled between two harbors, guests are often quite surprised at what a great find we are. I want to also like to thank you for the suggestion of the website. I believe that guests will find the site to be very informative. I would like to suggest to guests that they follow your advice and take the stroll down to the Oxnard harbor for the Farmer’s Market or to Mrs. Olson’s Coffee Hut for breakfast.

Hope you plan a return trip soon.

Scottsdale
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We just got back from a lovely week at CIS. We had a huge unit, kitchen well stocked, clean and modern. Our unit had two bedrooms each with California Kings, plus a hide a bed downstairs. There was plenty of free parking and we were very close to the beach. There is a large park nearby and after a few days of observing the area we felt fairly safe letting our kids scooter around. Our unit had a nice hot tub , washer/dryer and private grill. I do wish beach towels were included as we slightly suffered the whole week. We also think hooks out on the patio would help with drying our swimsuits and beach items. (It was a rough week of, Beach, Hot Tub, Beach, Hot Tub-poor me!) The office was very helpful to suggest great restaurants and activities. We loved Fisherman's Catch, the food was GREAT. Hook Burger was good as well. We also took a day cruise to Santa Cruz Island. Lot's of fun. There is alot to do in Oxnard when you do your reseach. The Harbor Farmer's Market was a great morning, live music, fresh seafood, tamales, produce and fish tacos. The Heritage Square Farmer's Market was not as good. Several parts of the town smell like strawberries- can't beat that. Life was good at at Channel Island Shores and we will return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ScottsdaleSlinky
, Manager at Channel Island Shores, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
ScottsdaleSlinky,
Very happy to hear you had a wonderful time here at Channel Island Shores. We seem to be California’s best kept secret. Ventura County is an amazing area. Lots of places to go and things to do. We have the Ventura County Fair “Rides, Ribbons & Rodeos” coming this August 1-12. Always a great time!

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to our shores.

Salton City
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stay at Channel Island Shores for a whole week each year--been doing this for the past three years and I've already booked for this November. At first, I didn't want to stay in Oxnard...mostly strawberry fields, I figured as a native So. CA resident living two hours south. However, I came to see it as an ideally quiet beach escape. It's set in a very residential area (Sonny and Cher had a home here not far to the north back in the day). I go in the fall when hardly anyone's on the beach. I love the little dunes a short walking distance away; they have clumps of some kind of tall beach grass that give it the look of a beach on the East Coast. If I had kids, I'd really love the huge park right next to the dunes and the basketball courts on the sand just a stone's throw away from the unit. I always take my bike because there's a wonderful trail along the beach. Don't miss the farmer's market; when I was there the live entertainment was wonderful.
Last year I took the boat at the Oxnard marina to Anacapa Island, just some 11 miles away. Oh, and that's what gave me a WOW experience the first time I came: the beach is just a half block away and that long Anacapa Island (it's actually three in one) is so looming right off the coast. It looks close enough to paddle to--first time I experienced that in So. CA. If you squint or use binoculars you can see its lighthouse on the south side--the last governmental lighthouse built in CA. It has a foghorn too, but you need to be near or on the island to hear it call out every ten seconds. It's a nice day trip there. From the marina you can get boats to other Channel Islands as well, "California's Galapagos." If you go island hopping, read the kids' book "Island of the Blue Dolphin" if you haven't already--btw, the Karana character is buried at Mission Santa Barbara where there is a plaque dedicated to her and for a buck in the Mission gift shop you can get the non-fictionalize story of that Native American woman who lived alone some 18 years on San Nicholas Island --fascinating!
After I relax a day or two, I then like going to Ventura, Santa Barbara, and especially Ojai--none more than an hour away, as I recall, and tons of things to do there--do your homework first.
Channel Island Shores isn't for high rollers who like lots of service, designer appointed bedding and furniture, and planned activities. Everything is pretty simple...reminds me so very much of my college days hanging out with pals at a rented beach pad. (Except CIS is pretty quiet:) When I leave out the front door I'm in a simple, but flowery or hedged yard, not in a long carpeted hallway lined with doors.
I'm trying to think of negatives...there was a big windstorm one night when the dunes practically moved onto the street and outside the next morning there was a layer of sand on everything within a whole block because there is no wall between the bike trail and beach--but I thought it was kind of cool. Yes, I too wish the TVs were bigger. I had a backyard with one unit that I wish showed a little more style in gardening--there are very low maintenance, yet attractive plants they could add to give it a nice, loving touch.
Some people adore huge beehive resorts like the Hilton or Marriott humming with a swarm of busy service personnel, but I like little places like this one because it feels like home.

Room Tip: Depends what you like...most of the biggest units are farthest from the beach. Even the "view...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Salton_Sea_Lass
PIVacations, Manager at Channel Island Shores, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We here at Channel Island Shores are very proud of our little “Jewel” of a resort. I’m glad you were able to discover and make use of some of the fantastic wonders located on our Golden Coast. The next time you visit we will be more than happy to assist you finding even more “Wow” experiences.

Chanel Island Shores
Southern California
Reviewed 18 March 2012

If I have to complain, the only thing will be that it was VERY hard to find, especially in the dark. We were going around the place a couple times with no idea that we were there. However, the unit was great! The queen bed was comfortable, the living room was OK size with a pull-out sofa. The kitchen had everything with an ocean view from the window. There was a bay view window in the dining room with a lot of pillows. Nice to sit there and read. The hot tub was also awsome on the big size balcony.

Fifty feet away, there is the beach. It was great walking on the beach. Surprisingly, there weren't many people there, even though it was a long holiday weekend.

It was a much needed relaxing long weekend for us! :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank floatingsoul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Holiday Inn Express Port Hueneme

Been to Channel Island Shores? Share your experiences!