“A delicious hidden secret”
Review of Golden Chicken Inn

Golden Chicken Inn
Ranked #94 of 305 Restaurants in Oxnard
Sonoma, California, United States
“A delicious hidden secret”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have frequented this restaurant upstairs above the Mona Lisa bar since I was a baby as my father did before me. It has been a fixture in Oxnard for many years. However being upstairs has probably limited the number of customers over the years. Still on a sunday night you can barely get a table for all the families enjoying themselves there. I always feel like I am in a Charlie Chan movie when I go there. (I know that's not very PC) The private booths, the cashier's cage even the wall decorations are evocative of that era. Someone said it's not fancy. They are so right, but it is clean, just old. The big draw is the food. It is true Cantonese food which is very hard to find these days. No gluppy sauces, everything FRESH and HANDMADE. The vegetable are always crunchy Many savory dishes with a pleasing balance between meats and vegetables. My family favorite is the BBQ pork chow mien with black mushrooms and water chestnuts. I hesitate to talk about it too much because for us it's like the holy grail of Chinese food and unrepeatable anywhere. Though most of my siblings live quite a distance from the Golden Chicken Inn we always pack a two day supply in a cooler and bring it home. It is the food I would choose for my last meal. No bar, but beer is available. Very inexpensive.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Pam G

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Chinese Food in Oxnard”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Been coming here here since I was a little girl and still love this place. Best chinese food and very affordable. The location is on corner of Oxnard Blvd and 7th Street and even though parking is hard to find, you need to come in and check out the old chinese authenticy this place has and also to try the great food here. The owners are really wonderful people. Always nice, friendly, happy, smiling and working non stop at helping the customers. LOVE...LOVE this place!!! If you lived in Oxnard all your life and have not tried this place, you need to. If you are passing through Oxnard and looking for authentic Chinese food, you need to try this place. I'm highly recommending it.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank shirley s
Oxnard, California
“Authentic”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This place takes you to time past. It is not fancy. It has good Chinese food. Excellent family plates.

Visited April 2014
Tehachapi, California
“Under rated”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This Chinese restaurant has been here a long time. Operated by Chinese husband and wife who know food. Consistently great. Try the Pork foo young, or shrimp chow mein- D-licious. Upstairs in an old neighborhood, parking is limited, so park a half block north. There are separate booths that are private. Service and quality of food are great. Not expensive at all. If you are near Oxnard or if you have to drive out of your way, come here. It is GOOD. 6 people can eat here for $60. and you can get a variety and share. I always start with a large bowl of egg drop soup. If you ask Chin- she will give you the Chinese chili sauce. Everything is made FRESH. Closed Mondays.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Frank S

Been to Golden Chicken Inn? Share your experiences!