“Service with a smile”

Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Excellent location with outstanding staff who are well trained and customer service oriented. Lupe, who checked us in and out personified "service with a smile." She checked in my family and was very nice and helpful. She was kind to my wife and two young daughters while providing outstanding customer service. As a result, We are returning for a stay this month and will utilize this hotel as one of our main destinations in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
kevin l, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Sorry for responding so late to your review - and thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback. Yes, I did read your review shortly after it was submitted and did reward Lupe with a nice "thank you" card and gratuity ... Lupe is one of our newest Team Members and although a little soft spoken and shy, she is really warming up to our Hamptonality credo. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I checked in late. Found the room hot. After the air ran for an hour. The room was still hot. I had to open the door to the harbor to cool the room. I would have expected a partial return of the cost of the room but got none. Just I am very sorry.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Tara D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Michael B

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry your AC did not work and that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I apologize again for the hassle you went through in regards to the AC unit and our staff not meeting your expectations. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Please let me know when you are in the area again and I would be honored to assist with your reservations. Thank you once again for your comments.

Tara Darling
Front Office Manager
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
tara.darling@hilton.com

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The staff were consistently top-notch. Everyone I met went out of their way to make every interaction positive. The hotel and rooms are super clean and comfortable. The rooms have quality linens and pillows and are nicely appointed. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Harbor view was lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I came across this hotel by accident and noticed it is rated as a 2.5 star hotel. I browsed through the pictures of the hotel & the rooms and it sure didn't look like a 2.5 star hotel--it looked like at least a 3 star hotel. Now that I actually stayed here, I can say it definitely has to be a 3 star hotel. The room is quite nice & clean and the bed was super comfortable. It had nice linens, duvet & pillows. The bathroom was super clean, quality towels & great water pressure in the shower. Also great toiletries--Neutrogena shampoo, conditioner & lotion. I love Neutrogena! The breakfast was fabulous! Eggs, potatos, sausage, waffles, assorted breads & pastries, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee & juice. The staff were very helpful & friendly. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a decent hotel but I have stayed at much better Hampton Inns. Breakfast comes standard as with other Hamptons and the employees in the breakfast area couldn't be nicer. Parking is free and you can walk to the beach but it would be at least 15 minutes. We just drove and there is free parking all along the beach nearby and the beach is not at all crowded. Hotel doesn't have towels you can take to the beach so bring your own if you can. We had no problem with the elevators, unlike other reviews and we were on the third floor. They had beach cruisers you could rent albeit a little pricey. Weather here a little cooler than further south down the coast but still pleasant most of the year. Lots to do in the area. But agree with others that the abandoned hotel next door gives an odd feel.

Bed was too soft and feather pillows were very flat so I did not sleep well here.

Where I had issues with this property were the front desk and other employees who made the stay less pleasant than it should have been. I found them to be very matter of fact and not very into customer service for most of my interactions. Like another review, I used points and got a parking lot view. AC was off when we got to the room and the AC Unit was tucked behind the desk so it was difficult to see the controls. I called down to the front desk but she said she didn't know how they worked. I finally found the switches after crawling under the desk and putting more light on the unit. Not located in the most ideal spot, but the benefit is that it doesn't blow across the bed all night. I had tried to get foam pillows and the security guy brought me feather pillows with no pillow cases. I explained to him that I needed foam pillows and that pillow cases would be nice as well. He came back a bit later with more feather pillows and pillow cases not on the pillows. I don't know why this guy was doing guest requests as he was dressed like a security guard and didn't realize what a foam pillow was or how to put a pillow case on a pillow. I had to go to my car later so I explained the situation to the front desk clerk and asked her if it was possible to get a foam pillow and she told me she could call the security guy to bring me pillows but I again explained the situation to her and just said never mind. Had to request extra towels each night even though we had 4 guests. As I find is the key to customer service at most hotels is whether or not they ask at checkout about your stay. If they don't it either means they don't care, or don't want to hear any more guest complaints. At this property they did not ask.

We tried to stay at the Embassy Suites where we have stayed before but unfortunately they were sold out. That hotel is right on the beach and a better experience.

Room Tip: Harbor View for sure.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I love to open my patio door for the nice cool breeze that comes into our room, but on my last visit to this hotel I had to report that two different rooms were out on the patio smoking. I didn't have fresh air in my room, but smoke! I reported this to the front desk and they were great about taking care of the problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel last Sunday. I redeemed 30,000 points of Hilton Honors to get a free room. First of all, for those points, they give you the worst possible room as opposed to the Hyatt or Marriott where I'm also a member. Upon check-in, we asked Cliff at front desk about upgrading to a marina view room. The first quote from Cliff was $10, but upon learning that we used points to book the room, the upgrade fee increased to $30. (You would think there are benefits to being a Hilton Honors card member.) We decided to first look at the room we initially booked, which Veronica at the front desk described as having "pool view." Well, it actually was facing the parking lot, with the pool towards the left so it should aptly be called "parking lot view." We opted for the marina room upgrade but were told the only 1 left was on the first floor and handcap accessible. Veronica lowered the upgrade fee to $20, so apparently it's negotiable. We said OK, but shortly after, we noticed the A/C wasn't working. Veronica said there was nothing she could do as it was a weekend. We would've stayed in the room as we had already settle in, but asked if they could waive the upgrade fee since the A/C wasn't working and it is mid-July after all. She refused and basically gave us the choice to go back to the parking lot view room or pay the upgrade fee for a room with no A/C. We opted to go back to the parking lot view room and were very dismayed that we had to pack up again. That $10, $20 or $30 upgrade fee must mean the world to them that they'd rather have customers that are unhappy. So we went through this whole check-in process of going back and forth to the lobby and moving from one room to another (from the third floor to the first and then back to the third floor again) while carrying our luggages and having a 7 year old and a toddler in tow.
Needless to say, we are never, ever going back to this Hampton Inn. Not only is the customer service unbelievably horrible, the location right next to a closed/abandoned hotel makes one feel uneasy. The marina is nice to look at, but the hotel next door is quite creepy.

4  Thank MommyGidge
kevin l, General Manager at Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. As a valued Hilton Honors member you are entitled to an upgrade when available.I did notice your comments in regards to the hotel next door to us, we are happy to report that this property is in the planning stages and will soon be rebuilt.
I apologize again for the hassle you went through to receive a room that met your satisfaction. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.

As a valued Hilton Honors member I have credited back your points to your account, due to the unsatisfactory you experienced while staying with us, your points will be credited to your account today and should reappear on your account in two to three weeks. I hope that you will stay with us again and allow us to show you our true hamptonality. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or if you would like to make a reservation. I will be happy to assist you in any way.

Kind Regards,
Kevin Libera

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Best Western Oxnard Inn
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 23 in Ventura

Been to Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor? Share your experiences!