“Woolworth Oxnard? Who'd a thunk it?!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Woolworth Building

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Woolworth Oxnard? Who'd a thunk it?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

So as we got lost and ended up in this cool little downtown area, we realized we were in Oxnard... not Oxnard by the onion fields, but Oxnard closer to the beach. As we walked to a little store, we were awe struck by what we saw, the beautiful Woolworth building across the street! My jaw dropped as it took me back in time to a place where people actually cared about your business, a place that sold quality items... anyways, I snapped a picture and checked it off my list as places to see before I die. I wish we would have crossed the street and actually entered it as I hear it has a little museum and the lunch counter...DARN!!! Well, its not too far from Simi, so I think we will definitely head on back. I also recommend you check out the 1930's fully working United States Post Office across the street, the lobby is beautiful and has the original P.O Boxes that you can still rent. Will definitely head on back and walk around a little more, it really is a cool little place to visit.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank medranofamily

Escondido
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“A step back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

the Woolworth Museum 401 S A Street. The lunch counter is still going strong in this historical 2 story building. We did not eat here, but did spend 30 minutes in the lobby checking out the history of Woolworth and viewing some of the “artifacts” left behind. There is a photo booth, stamp vending machine, a ballpoint pen vending machine, some games, a couple TV’s, soda machine, and a movie discussing some of the family history. A few pictures and write-up top off the exhibits. While this building is only 2 stories, the Woolworth office was the tallest building in the US in 1913. This 5 and 10 cent store offered a full meal for 25 cents (menu posted). In 1997 Woolworth closed its remaining 400 stores after losing $37 million the previous year, ending 117 years in business.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank ranles76
carlsbad ca
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“great effort to preserve something from a bygone era”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

while it's not worth a specific drive to (in my opinion of course) it is worth a short little visit if you are in the downtown area. being old enough to remember Woolworth stores probably helps enjoy the little 'museum' much more.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank ndepndant
Edison, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“just a few pictures and memoribilia”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

nice store with soda fountain. But "museumj" is just a few pictures and some memoribilia about Woolworth. Cute for about 5 minutes stop,.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Steve P
mass
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Made our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2007

While staying on the shore in Oxnard, we ventured downtown to South Avenue A, and found this real gem. Woolworth's is housed in the location of the oroginal Woolworth's department store. Borrowing on the 50's-60's theme, the Formica tables, booth and lunch counter-top seating, are indeed reminiscent of the old stores' set up. But there the similarities end, While I may have eaten a egg salad sandwich or two at the old Woolworth's as a kid, I never remember food as wonderful as is served in this eclectic deli-styled eatery. While we were checking out the menu, Will, the chef, brought out a deletable sampling of some of their offerings: a curried chicken salad, portobella soup, fresh tuna salad, pastrami, and cold slaw. I have to say, they know what they're doing offering these freebies, because every offering was exceptional, especially, believe it or not, the cold slaw. Never had my family and I tasted slaw like this. My husband never usually touches the stuff, and vegetables in general, are avoided by my son. Both went wild for it. This slaw was sweet, and seasoned with a light rice vinegar, caramelized walnuts, and dried cranberries. Such an original and delicious variation! I could rave on about each individual dish--I liked the curried chicken salad (served on a wonderful egg bread) so much, I ordered it again the next day. The special touches and the friendliness of the staff were delightful. Just when we thought we couldn't eat another bite, we were given an amazing fruit salad and a warm bread pudding that is not to be believed. Oh, and the prices... without a doubt, the best value for money you can find. For under $30.00, the 3 of us were happily stuffed. When you're done eating, you can then enjoy all the marvelous 50's memorabilia. You can even play great old arcade games for 5 cents!We'll be returning to California in about a year, and this is one stop we'll be sure to make again.

17 Thank carrieaud