“Pretty good hotel, needs update”

Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here for a week for work, and this is a pretty good hotel. The rooms that I saw were all in need of updates, but it did look like work was being done on some of the rooms, so that was good. For instance, in my room, a few of the plugs didn't work at all and the floor by the door was sticky. In a co-workers room, the AC didn't work, and the room was about 90 degrees when we got back from meetings in the afternoon (they did move him to another room). The hotel is not walk-able to anything, but they do have a free shuttle that will take you to a lot of places close by. The breakfast each morning was great, a lot of variety to choose from. The dinner receptions are a nice touch, I think they do them Monday through Thursday, and we would always see what they had before deciding whether to eat out or not. 3 nights out of 5, we ended up eating for free at the hotel. Free beer and wine too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
RInn_Gst_Srv_Mana, Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Greetings Valued Guest!

We are so glad you enjoyed your accommodations here at the Residence Inn by Marriott Oxnard. As you had mentioned, some of our rooms do need to be updated, we have just completed the exterior portion of our renovation and by this years end we will have completed the inside renovation. The interior renovation will be equipped with new furnishings, soft goods, carpets and décor. We invite you to come back and judge us on how well we did. Thank you for your feedback and we wish to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

It's been a couple of years since I was last here, but to this day this hotel infuriates me.

We made our reservation here three months in advance. The night we got there they said they had no room big enough for us because a NFL team was in town. My dad slept ON THE FLOOR of our hotel room. I made a complaint on their website but they didn't care enough to respond.

They should not have let us reserve a room if they weren't going to be able to accommodate us.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank melisssaaaiyo
RInn_Gst_Srv_Mana, Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Greetings Valued Guest!
Our sincerest apologies in regards to your stay a couple of years back. During our summer months our hotel does become a bit constrained in regards to availability of certain room types. Without any prior knowledge of the history of the reservation details, I’m not certain if I am correct or not, however, if your reservation was for a larger suite and we gave you was a smaller suite there had to have been a very good explanation and reasoning as to why we could not honor your guaranteed reservation. We take great measures to always guarantee our guests the reservation they are booked for, even going so far as to paying for a room elsewhere if we cannot accommodate our guests here. I apologize we did not attempt to reach out to you in regards to your feedback prior. Marriott upholds us to a high standard in giving all of our guests the best service and guest satisfaction. Please contact me directly so we may try to resolve this issue.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

we booked a last minute stay due to change of plance and found this property to be a good one, the rooms were nice and large, we did not run into any cleaning issues like some other reviewers had this is a nice apartment style hotel on the edge of a gold course beautiful setting

my only complaint would be the front dest, asked him for suggestions for a good restaurant in the area he gave me two options, even printed out instructions on how to get there, alas, both were closed, one has been closed for at least 6 months, the other for about two months.

The reason i ask the locals is to get some updated information would have preferred him to say i don't know instead of wasting my time driving around.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel probably deserves more of a 2.5 as my experience here has been just slightly below average. As previous reviews state, the rooms are large but not the cleanest. I should also point out that all the service people are amazingly friendly. (People in the Oxnard/Ventura area are really friendly in general.) My main gripes with the hotel revolve around the lack of any recognition for being an Elite member and the mediocre management. I have been on a business project in Ventura over the past year, so I have stayed at all three of the Marriott hotels in the area. Both the Oxnard Courtyard and Ventura Marriott locations really go out of their way to show their loyal customers love. At the Marriott, you gain access to their concierge lounge and you receive a door-to-door snack service. At the Courtyard, you will often get free vouchers to their bistro. During my most recent (and my last) stay at the Residence Inn, there was a mix-up regarding the corporate code I used to book my room. My current project featured a large team with several global companies, so when my own company's code was exhausted, I decided to use one of our partner's codes. Long story short, management didn't accept the code since I was not an official employee. And they didn't even apologize for the inconvenience. Comparatively, when I did the same thing at the Courtyard, they were extremely accommodating. Sticking strictly to the rules is respectable, but is it really worth losing a customer over? Especially, when that customer has been a loyal Marriott member for the past few years and will need a weekly hotel in the Oxnard/Ventura area for the foreseeable future?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Koreatown
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our family stayed here on our trip up the California Coast. The large room with a full-sized kitchen added to our comfort. Our room was very clean and nicely furnished. Our grandchildren checked out a basketball from the lobby and played a game while we prepared to leave for dinner. The breakfast is a wonderful treat with a choice of many hot selections.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Ive stayed here a few times when I visit Oxnard. I love the apartment-style complex and the large rooms with full kitchens. The lobby is nice and recently remodeled and so it the kitchen dining area with a great breakfast included!
My problems with this place are that it consistently does not meet my high standards for cleanliness. I admit I'm picky and do take clorox wipes with me when I travel, just in case. Its the attention to detail that lacks at this place. The carpets, the stained mattress pad, the toilet with yellow pee around the base, the grout, the nooks and crannies that are frequently missed over and over when cleaning quickly and not thoroughly. It just makes it a 3 star, not a 4 or a 5. I hope that they can redo the rooms soon--maybe something other than carpet, even. I'll attach some pics of the icky stuff I decided to photograph.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2468ltx
RInn_Gst_Srv_Mana, Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoy our spacious suites and daily full breakfast buffet. We are sorry to hear that our suites did not meet your cleanliness standards. I assure you the information you shared with us here does not meet our standards as well. Had this been brought to our attention during your stay we would have moved you to a new room immediately. Your observations have been brought to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper and she is reviewing our procedures for cleaning our suites with her team. What you experienced is not up to our standards what so ever.
I am pleased to inform you that we are currently in renovation. All of our 252 suites will be renovated. We will be replacing all the mattress and carpet. In addition we are painting all rooms, adding modern décor, new sofa sleepers and updating the bathrooms as well. In the next few weeks we will complete the painting of all the exterior buildings and repaving our parking lot as well. We hope to welcome you back so you can enjoy a newly renovated suite. When planning your next visit to our property please contact us directly so we may assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on trip from LAX to SFO. Hotel was made up of a number of chalets spread across a whole area next to a golf course. Check in was smooth but our preferred room was not ready so stayed at a ground floor room.

Room is a suite with full kitchen facilities and fireplace. However, it feels dated with old furnishings. Hotel provided an evening reception during weekdays but we did not join. Breakfast spread was adequate for a nice meal.

Hotel is located in a nice cosy neighborhood and about 10 minutes drive to the Camarillo Premium Outlets. There are also the popular restaurants around the vicinity but you definitely need a car to drive around.

We did not make use of the laundry facilities which are situated at two of the chalets. One has to go into the open if the laundry facilities are not at your chalets. Worse if it is cold at night.

Overall ok if it's just for a 1 night stay. Golfers will like it here if they are here just for the golf course and some dining options nearby.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
RInn_River_Ridge, General Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

I appreciate your business and the time you took to write this review. In response to your 'dated' comments I am happy to report that we are in full renovation mode. Our pools, tennis courts (lighted), exterior paint, staircases, lobby, meeting space, patios are all brand new! As of this week we will start the interior portion of renovation with new mattresses, sofa sleeper, carpet, desk chairs, paint, fitness center and more. In two weeks our parking lot and ramps will be resurfaced as well. By the end of this year-- we will be a 'New' R.Inn/Marriott hotel with 36 holes of golf, 5 lighted tennis courts, 2 pools, 3 spas and meeting space for up to 400 guests. AND we will be value priced when compared to LA or Santa Barbara-- come and stay and let us know your thoughts!