“I should have listened to reviews”

Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
consum1
“I should have listened to reviews”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently stayed at this location for business. Not only is it old, but it is not clean which other recent reviews, have stated. There was hair in my bed when I turned it down to enter it. There were spiders in my bed and it is just old, old furniture, dirty walls...dark. All the 2nd floor rooms are Chalet type rooms. They are dark. If you open curtains you are most likely looking directly into another room. Not my cup tea. I should have stayed at the Courtyard. I normally don't stay at these older Residence Inn's, but in all fairness I stayed in this style of a Residence Inn in Tewksbury MA and it was very nice and clean. So just because it is old does not mean it cannot be clean. This hotel just was not maintained over time and now it is just not up to par. I am not use to seeing dirty walls in Marriott properties. It is currently under renovations but renovations will not help if they don't get a better cleaning staff. Location is great, close to fwy and shopping.

Room Tip: I don't suggest this Hotel.
Green Features: As most Marriott properties they advertise ECO. Which is basically using your towel more than once. I did not notice anything else, but I was not really paying attention to that.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank consum1
RInn_River_Ridge, General Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thanks for your feedback. Yes our hotel continues to improve/renovate each passing day. Now 90% of our furniture is new in the last 4 years. In the next month our public restrooms, lobby ceiling tiles, fitness suite and our laundry rooms will be completely renovated. All our suites are now getting new carpet and beautiful new sofa sleepers. As far as cleanliness-- our last 4 reviews on this site-- two of them mentioned how clean our hotel was during their stay. I do wish you had brought these concerns to my attention while here, but do sincerely hope that you will consider us on your next trip to Ventura County.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband, baby, parents and I stayed in one of the biggest rooms (1 bedroom with loft - sleeps 6). There was a living area and full kitchen which was great for all of us to spend time together. We saved money too since we could make our own food. I gave it an average rating because there were a couple things I didn't like: slightly clogged bath tub, not enough grills available (multiple families were huddled around one shared grill - by the pool - cooking food over the only burner on it that worked), and the breakfast was just okay. They have a lot of pack-n-plays available, which was a nice convenience for us, but they didn't provide a sheet that fit the mattress.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We were given a room on an upper level in the middle of the complex. There was a huge convention going on but other than at breakfast there was no other noise I could complain about. We were above the laundry room which was very convenient for us and it proved the room was sound-proofed so well that we didn't hear any machine noise. The King Studio was clean and large. Nothing was old or run-down at all. The pool was fun and the spa was relaxing. Breakfast was hectic but the options were good. Staff service when checking in and out was excellent.

• Stayed May 2014
Orange, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had a wonderful experience at this hotel with my family. The price for our rooms was very reasonable and the rooms themselves were spacious, clean and very inviting. The staff at the front desk were friendly and we honestly had no issues with our stay. I would definitely stay here when visiting Ventura again and I would suggest this place to my friends.

Room Tip: Having a fireplace in the room was very cozy!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa D
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here using our Marriott Rewards points. We arrived in LA in the evening and needed a nice place to stay in between LA and Santa Barbara. This hotel was a treat to find. The front desk staff were very accommodating and friendly. It is true that rooms seem older, but they are currently undergoing renovations and the new room furnishings look to be very nice. Our room overlooked the tennis courts, which tended to be a bit noisy as there just happened to be a tennis tournament going on during our stay. The pools were both very nice and well kept. The breakfast room was large, and had a lovely view out onto the golf course. Breakfast selections were satisfying and tasty, and well stocked. This hotel was a hidden gem on our vacation and it will only get better after the improvements. We had a great time and will definitely return if in the area again.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, ask to be away from the tennis courts.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EmEJohnson
West Haven, CT
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a great place to stay for a few days on a California adventure. You can explore lots in this area of California and come back to a great hotel. It's quite large - 225 rooms. The pools (2) are a bit small, but clean and quiet. Lovely golf course next door.

Breakfast was great as was the typical afternoon selections.

Rooms were in process of upgrade and renovations. The place is getting a refresh. Lobby was really comfortable and conducive to work if needed.

Staff very friendly.

I will come back here.

• Stayed April 2014
Seal Beach, California
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I were able to finally get away (we take care of his mother with dementia and his sister was out visiting). So ALONE time is very important. I set up the reservations for the Romance package - which included a choice of champagne or sparkling cider, a room with a fireplace, strawberries with chocolate and roses. We show up - the room isn't even ready. I asked if I could get sparkling cider and they said to choose something from the refrigerator (like a soda or something). We get to our room - strawberries were in the fridge, No roses, and they show up with the champagne (we don't drink), We asked them to move us to a room with a fireplace, but they didn't let us know that that room only had queen beds. No roses. It's was like they hadn't done this before. Thank God we weren't on our honeymoon as that would have been the ultimate fail.

So - Don't do the Romance package with them. While I appreciate what they did, I'm still kind of upset every time I think of it. Otherwise the hotel is fine. Too busy for breakfast but otherwise fine. BTW - this happened in March 2014 and the Romance package is not on the website as of now.

Room Tip: Be aware that the suites only have queen beds. No fireplaces in rooms that are not suites (which ar...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Volvogoddess
RInn_Gst_Srv_Mana, Manager at Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Greetings Valued Guest!

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns in regards to your stay that occurred during your March visit. We apologize we were not ready for your arrival. We go thru great measures to make sure all of the packages that we offer are ready and can be executed properly. Our Romance Package at its best was prime for a romantic getaway with all of the amenities included along with the scenic golf course view. We are currently undergoing renovation which includes all of the interior of our suites and exterior of the buildings. We would like a chance to correct this issue with you and invite you back to stay.

Please contact me off-line directly to discuss further.

Kindest Regards