“A bit dated, but good location”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I had been in downtown LA for business, and took a side trip to go sea kayaking in the Channel Islands. Looked for a place to stay in the vicinity, and the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach was the only one I could find with direct access to the beach. Being a Hilton Honors member, I didn't mind it. The rooms were a little dated in appearance, but the grounds were beautiful. I decided to splurge on an oceanview room, and was glad I did. Granted, we kind of had an angled view of the ocean, but more importantly, it was far enough from the pool area that I was able to have some peace and quiet. The hotel was full for the weekend, with all the kids running around, I was glad I was a bit farther removed (Building 8). I had booked a package with self-parking and internet, but didn't remember that it was for self-parking, so I got the valet parking. Luckily, they adjusted my final bill, but that was confusing. Also, breakfast was not available until 7 am, so the one morning I was counting on getting a substantial breakfast (the day of our sea kayaking adventure), we did not end up with any breakfast because we had to be at the harbor by 7. Thank goodness I had gotten some food at the grocery store! Breakfast on Sunday morning took over an hour because there was ONE person doing the omelets. I really take my hat off to him - he was working HARD, and still managed to smile and be courteous! I LOVE that they served Guava-Orange-Passionfruit juice in the morning - that was a true treat!! Also glad there was a second, more secluded hot tub that we were able to enjoy. I could have used at least 2 more days here to truly relax, and hope that I will get a chance to get back to the area again - really enjoyed the quietude of the Oxnard-Ventura area.

Room Tip: Building 8 is away from the main swimming pool and a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We have recently undergone a major renovation of our guest suites, so we hope you will have an opportunity to return again to enjoy our lovely property. We are quite fortunate to be located directly on the beach and I am pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of the many water activities that are available to our guests. We do hope that you will visit us again!

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I really love this particular Embassy Suites. The property is absolutely gorgeous and is wonderfully ,maintained. The staff is very helpful and accommodating.

The rooms are very comfortable, spacious, and clean

The only check I have about his place is the breakfast/happy hour area. I have stayed at dozens of ESs, but this particular dining area was kind of grimy (ie., sticky floors, messy counters, etc.). They really just need someone who maintains the cleanliness and organization of their breakfast area, not just collect dishes.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you for your nice comments about our resort – we are very proud of our property and our staff! I am passing your comments regarding the breakfast/happy hour to our management team for review. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

WOW! We just had the most amazing 2 days at this resort. Room 8303 is where all the picturess are from. I would actually try for 8301 or 7301 next time for a straight on view of ocean, but our stay was perfect. Park your self for 15 bucks/day and the underground parking goes all around the resort, so you can park under your buliding. Front desk was welcoming and accomidating. I went for an on line deal of the 2 queen suite and was not dissapointed. You walk into the living room,/bar area and the first of 2 (shower, sink and toilet) bathrooms, YES, 2 bathrooms, HOW COOL and how great with 4 people. living room has a TV and pull out couch with plenty of extra seating. There is a desk that rools and can be used as a dining table. Bedroom has 2 quees beds, plenty of closet and storage and 2 sink vanity. Tub/shower and toilet. Big soft fluffy towels. both the living room and bedroom have sliding doors that go a large open patio with outstanding views of the ocean and beach. This resort is right on the beach, it's the bike path and sand between you and the blue ocean. We roamed for beach glass and cool rocks. Kite fliers were out both days. Day 1 was dissapointedly overcast but day 2 was perfect.
We brought our own candle and ate ordered pizza on the balcony at night. 2 gals went to the bar and enjoyed the band. They had a managers drink and snack get together at 5-7 and free breakfast in the morning. Then back to the beach. To tell the truth we spent most of the time on the balcony people and ocean watching as boats and bords float by. DO NOT leave food out and walk away anywhere on the grounds. It will bwe covered with birds (mainly seagulls) within a few minutes.
Everything was perfect this weekend, from the staff to location to how easy and quick everything was. Can't wait to go back, already trying to figure out a date.

Oh yea, they have a pool, tennis and 2 jacuzzis. I found this place because a friend was married there, it's a hidden gem. Paradise.

It's family friendly but we seemed to be in a adult only area, which was cool, Lot's of couples and families at the pool area.

2 things to mention that were not perfect but I understand they have to be that way, the pull out bed not uber comfy for an adult and you can peep into your neighbours bedroom easily over the end of the balcony wall. This has to be or your view would be obstructed. Our neighbours were cool and we all chatted a bit.

Sleeping was so nice with the ocean air and the sounds. Take a jacket or sweater for the evenings and mornings.

Room Tip: ocean front, level one looks amazing, we had top floor and it was amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your wonderful review! We do pride ourselves on the service we provide to our guests and our unique room configuration and wonderful seaside location. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed all of our amenities that we offer to our guests. Please do visit us again as it would be our pleasure to serve you!

Reviewed 18 September 2012

After having stayed at the Embassay Suites, Mandalay Bay in Oxnard a couple of years ago, I thought it’d be nice to go back when the Hilton properties were offering a special for the month of September. It was a pleasant experience the first time I was there for a family wedding, but this time, not so pleasant. When we arrived for check-in, we asked to see some of the rooms that were available. The front desk clerks were okay. We saw a room that did not meet up to our standards, for instance, right by elevator, vending machine, ice machine and the room had a very odd odor to it. So, we went back, told them we were not pleased with the room and asked to see another room. We were sent to room 2119. This room was not fit for a dog! It was right next to a stairway, the view out the window was to the conference center that appeared to be a loading dock for meetings as well as the main heating/a/c unit that had a horrible, loud drone. At this point, I had had enough of their nonsense and we tried for another room. This time we were told that 2119 was it, there were no other rooms available. Well, after storming out and leaving my significant to deal with all of it, they came up with a room that was close to perfect. We checked into room 4202. We had a nice view of the waterfalls and garden below. The room was located close to the stairs that lead down to the pool area and the Surf Room, as well as the gate out to the beach. The biggest drawbacks with this room were the a/c didn't work well and the lightening in the bathrooms was horrible....way to dark. If you want to put on make-up, bring a mirror and stay close to a window or the sliding door.
Some of the pluses of the property were the fully cooked breakfast, poolside food and drink service and the bar. A major drawback to the Surf Room that breakfast was served from was the fact the wrens were able to come in and out of the building. We found that rather unhealthy. We were told that they were working on this problem. Another issue, there were no mats by the doors. The fog had rolled in and made walking into the room dangerous. We watched guests slip as they entered the room.
They have a manager’s happy hour also. Alcohol flowed freely if you are a guest, the problem, stale chips with salsa, some sort of an Asian type crackers and popcorn. It would be wiser if they had served something a bit more substantial with all the alcohol, perhaps veggies, meatballs, cheese and crackers.
When we checked out, I spoke with the manager on duty, Matthew. He was appreciative of our concerns and did make up for our “not so pleasant” check in process. We also meet the GM, Lisa. She was concerned as to what our issues were and I reassured her that Matthew had taken very good care of us and that he would see to it that our concerns were addressed. Will I ever go back? I’m not sure. I would hope that if I do, our check in process would be much better and that the concerns we have from this visit would have been addressed and taken care of. If asked if I would recommend this to friends, I would have to say absolutely not. I do hope that Matthew and Lisa will address our issues and seek to remedy them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a patio of some sort and not overlooking the pool area.
2  Thank Dancingeyes
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

I do appreciate your feedback and I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet you during your visit. I can assure you that your concerns will be addressed as we take our guest comments very seriously. All of this information is being shared with our management team. We do hope you will reconsider visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the first time with my husband for our 20th anniversary and was impressed from the moment I entered the impressive lobby area. The front desk were so helpful (I want to make a special mention to the wonderful British lady who made us feel so welcome and even wished us a happy anniversary before we even told her!), the room was great, spacious and newly remodeled, and the grounds were beautiful. Being just steps from the beach we were able to take a romantic sunset stroll which was just awesome.

Breakfast was great, good selection and tasted good. The only thing I would say is that it was a real shame we didn't have wifi in our rooms. Other than that - we cant wait to return! Good job Embassy Suites!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments! I am so pleased that you decided to spend your 20th anniversary with us and that you found our property to be to your liking and our staff to be so accommodating – we are so proud of our team! We are working on an overhaul of our Internet service and we do hope you will return again!

Reviewed 14 September 2012

I have stayed at this property several times. I was lucky enough to have been beachfront the first two visits, but the heat didn't work, one time the room smelled like fish and Oxnard never seems to be warm. I was so uncomfortable that I ran the blow dryer attempting to get warm. HOWEVER - My last visit I remembered to mention the heat and they put me in a renovated room. It wasn't beachfront so I didn't have the fantastic views, but I was so thrilled. The room was so open! I actually sat on the sofa and relaxed, which I almost never do while on business. The remodel was worth it. The hotel had dance lessons in the bar when we were there and that was interesting to watch. The breakfast area has a wonderful selection to start your day off right. The grounds are very resort-like, with pools and hot tubs around. For my business, it is a little farther out, but I now consider it worth it after the renovations. Otherwise, I was going to switch hotels. So I was comfortable, warm, nice room and the grounds pretty. Even though I rarely get to use the amenities, I like them in case I do get the opportunity. Good Job Embassy Suites!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest suites during your last visit and found our rooms to be quite comfortable. We hope you will visit us again and enjoy the many amenities that we offer to our guests.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've stayed at this hotel before and found it outdated. But now with the wonderful remodel, the hotel is excellent.The rooms are wonderful with comfy beds, flat screen tv's, 2 bathrooms. The location couldn't be better right on the beach.
The front desk was very accommodating. The grounds were lovely. The pool was clean. The manager's reception was fine. I would recommend that the breakfast omelets be cooked longer.
Staying during the week is definitely quieter.
But during the week, I don't see the need for a parking fee, when there are so many available spaces to park.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent visit! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our newly renovated spacious suites. We have an excellent team and I am so glad that you found our staff to be helpful and accommodating to you during your stay. Please visit us again!

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Ventura Beach Marriott
Ventura Beach Marriott
#5 of 23 in Ventura
Wyndham Garden Ventura Pierpont Inn

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!