“Peaceful getaway.”

Centrella Inn
Montara, California
“Peaceful getaway.”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The staff, food, location, and ambiance of the Centrella Inn is superb. You can step right out the door and are just a block away from Lover's Point and miles of hiking, biking, or running trails along the gorgeous Monterey Bay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
One of the greatest things about the Centrella is our location. Just steps from the beach at Lovers Point and a great running trail. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was our first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast and we enjoyed very much. The location was only a few blocks from the ocean and walking distance from Monterrey Wharf. The Inn Keeper was so sweet and really made us feel at home. We woke up each morning to freshly baked quiches and fresh squeezed orange juice, plus tea and cookies every night. I was in room 21 with my hubbie and it had the perfect size for us. The front porch was so beautiful and charming with chairs and the flourish garden had tables and a hammock. I would absolutely recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone visiting Pacific Grove. We had a great time and look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you!

I know we are a long way from home for you, but if you are ever in our neighborhood, please make the Centrella you home away from home.
Derbyshire
Reviewed 18 August 2013

A really nice historic place...great location, lovely garden, hot and cold drinks available 24/7 and breakfast was yummy! Loved the clawfoot bath and our room was comfy and spacious! We received a warm welcome from Kent and all the other staff were great too. The breakfast room got a little crowded with some waiting time but apart from that it was all lovely!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
I love that you had a wonderful time with us at the Centrella Inn. Please come and see us again soon.
The Moon
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Unfortunately although the service was fantastic, the location was excellent and the staff (special mention to Kent ) were incredibly helpful...I did not get much rest..at all!! We kindly requested a quiet room, were given 108, very small, by the stair case and above the reception/breakfast/ social room. I could hear people talking, banging things and going to the bathroom through the walls. All night there were noises and heavy banging...My husband needed earplugs. I don't understand why! Then the breakfast noise and smell in the room at seven in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank shut_up_donny
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Kent is one of our newer employees but you can tell he loves what he does and where he lives. He is a joy to be around. Normally the rooms that are on the garden side of the house are the quieter rooms. I am sorry you didn't find that to be so during your stay. One of the blessings and curses of staying in a home built in 1889 is the lack of modern insulation. The cottages we have in our gardens and our Lovers lofts on the 3rd floor provide much more peace and quiet and sound like they would have been a better fit during your stay.
Pine Mountain Club, California
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The upstairs room worked out - the better to view the gardens and courtyard and see the great, large tree! The breakfast was very nice (included) and wine and snacks in the afternoon most thoughtful. It is in a super location, near many stores, a museum, and restaurants.

Room Tip: The upstairs room worked out - the better to look over the garden and courtyard with a view of the g...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your kind words. The upper rooms do provide a view of our gardens as well as the historic home surrounding our house. We hope to have you stay with us again.
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Based on our experience last week, most of the YELP reviews were pretty spot-on, so I'll just chime in with a few highlights and suggestions from our experience.

We purchased a two-night stay through Living Social. As soon as I made the purchase for our selected dates, I called the Centralla directly and was impressed by the welcoming and professional nature of the young woman who answered the phone. I was pleasantly surprised when she asked me if I would like to book a room right away, as I know with some Living Social deals you take what is available the day of arrival, but I asked for a "quiet" room. She recommended room #7 with a claw-foot tub, as it was off of the garden, and I was glad to have the arrangements made.

When we arrived for our reservation the following week, I was a little surprised to learn that the room had been changed to one right off of the lobby, but didn't ask about the change. (There is something about bed and breakfasts that seems more personal, almost like going into someone's home, so it feels impolite for me to ask questions that I would easily pose in a hotel.)

Our room was small, but charming, and I appreciated having a stand-up shower. I had mentioned it was our anniversary, and they had decorated the bed with hearts, candles, and a heart-shaped balloon, which I thought was very thoughtful. Our biggest concern was noise from the lobby, but that proved to be a non-issue. The other guests were extremely considerate, which is critical in an older building without sound-insulation. It really was like being a guest in someone's home. We were careful to keep our voices down, close doors quietly and carefully, and were happy that our fellow guests did the same.

That being said, we did have some difficulty sleeping in the morning, as the noise from the street traffic could be quite loud. And while sea gulls don't bother me at all (after all we are near the ocean!), there was another critter/bird/alarm clock? (loud, low-pitched mechanical sounding voice) that woke us up at sunrise each morning.

Having a made to order breakfast was a real bonus, as it saves all of the time and expense of eating breakfast out each morning. We particularly enjoyed the fresh cut fruit and home-made scones, and the coffee was delicious! One morning we tried the omelets, the next the quiche (really more of a frittata, as it was crustless). Both of these were served with potatoes. The flavor of the frittata and potatoes was quite good, but to our tastes could have used half of the amount of salt. We would much rather add salt in ourselves, as it can't be taken out.

The evening happy hour was delightful, with wine, crackers, olives, and a delicious cream-cheese vegetable spread. Evening chocolate-chip cookies and always available ice water, tea, and coffee were greatly appreciated. The bottle of wine for a YELP-check in was a wonderful bonus.

A strong wi-fi system made it easy for us to plan our days and meals. Honestly, I was glad there wasn't a TV in the rooms, as the walls are just too thin for any kind of private entertainment. The location of the inn can't be beat, as it is within easy walking distance of Lover's Point and several excellent restaurants on Lighthouse Ave.

By far, the best aspect of our stay, however, was the graciousness of the staff. We had a lot of opportunity to observe Danielle's people-skills both at the desk and over the phone during our first day, and she is just the kind of person you would want representing your business - the epitome of warm professionalism.

The other two women we met were equally gracious and kind, and because of their hospitality, we look forward to returning to the Centralla.

Room Tip: Upstairs might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jgotteach
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
I appreciate you taking time to say such wonderful things about our staff and bed and breakfast. I was disappointed to read that we had moved your room, and I will take extra measures to insure that type of issue does not happen again. I will have to investigate the noise you were experiencing each morning. That is a new one for me. Usually it just the gulls we get complaints about. I hope to have you stay with us again soon.
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My husband and I happened on this bed and breakfast several years ago and were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. I returned this last week and was disappointed. The hotel seems to be a little worn around the edges. The shower ran all over the floor, the furniture was shabby, and over all it wasn't what I remembered. The staff was friendly, the location is good if you don't want to the hustle of downtown Monterey, and the grounds were lovely, but overall the place is a little "sad". I don't think I will be back

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MH1948
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. They do everything they can to make your experience at the Centrella Inn comfortable. We will be replacing all the beds within the next month. We are also in the process of renovating our bathrooms and replacing old fixtures with a bit more modern fixtures, while not taking away from the feel of our wonderful home built in 1889. I do hope you will give us an opportunity to show you that we heard your concerns and are making changes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Martine Inn
Martine Inn
#2 of 8 in Pacific Grove

Been to Centrella Inn? Share your experiences!