We booked this hotel based on location and price. We are not really into the whole victorian B&B thing but it had good reviews from others and it was under $300 unlike 90% of the other places I had called. The woman who answered was extremely friendly and thankfully they had a room available for us on short notice. And it had a fireplace! Score!! As for location it is just a few blocks from the Monterey Bay Aquarium & Cannery Row which is where we knew we would be spending Saturday evening.
The young man who checked us in was beyond friendly and informative. He definitely would get 5 stars, as would the "happy hour" food. They tell you that you get wine & hod d'oeuvres in the afternoon but this far exceeded my expectations! They had sodas and waters (which was nice because I didn't feel like wine at that time) as well as red & white wine and an extensive food display. Honestly, if we hadn't planned to go out that night we could have made it our dinner, it was THAT good and filling! They also have a permanent coffee station in the foyer as well as a delicious plate of soft brownies... omg heaven!
The room was fine. Like I said, I am not crazy about period furnishings but I did peek my head in a few other rooms that were open and I liked ours the best, so that was a score! We had a clawfoot tub which again, period piece, but highly annoying. I almost fell getting INTO it! And there was nowhere to set my toiletries in there. Oh and the shower was only separated from the main space by a curtain. Which is fine but the toilet room had a glass door. So curtain open + glass door = boyfriend seeing me go to the bathroom. Some people are fine with that, but it's not our cup of tea so I got a "Hey hon.... I can see you!" and me hopping up and closing the curtain. Also, the ugliest sink I have ever seen in my life. I will definitely be posting pictures!!
The bed was fine, pillows were a bit hard, but the stay was nice. It was very quiet which was very nice. Although if you are a person who intends to sleep in past 10am, this is not the hotel for you!!! You can head the vaccuums going at that time much more clearly than at a big box hotel. Our room was pleasantly sunny in the afternoon and it was cozy overnight which was great.
Breakfast in the sitting room was wonderful... except the entree! Omg. I was so looking forward to it. I opened the door to a newspaper, brought it down to a gorgeous ocean view in the common room, was greeted and treated to coffee & OJ and when my breakfast was brought to me it was so beautiful I didn't want to eat it! Honestly I took a few pictures of it. Kudos to the chef on presentation. HOWEVER: while the sausage and berries were delicious, the blueberry french toast was almost like a congealed bread pudding wrapped in a crepe. It was just really weird and not so tasty. Such a let down :(
Checkout was at noon which is nice, and upon checking out we were shocked when we got a goodie bag including two bottles of water and some banana bread. Such a sweet gesture!
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and we would possibly stay again depending on the circumstances.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine walking out the front door of your beautifully appointed room and gazing at a beachfront paradise. Take a few steps and smell the ocean and hear the baby seals as they sun themselves. The Martine Inn, a Pacific Grove hotel, provides the perfect romantic getaway for people who love nature and beachfront activities. The Martine Inn overlooks Monterey Bay and provides pristine views of the coastline. The hotel features amenities including:- Romantic Ideal Location- Stroll to Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row- Complimentary Gourmet Breakfast- Complimentary Evening Wine & Hors d'oeuvres. Complimentaty Wi-Fi. Library, Conference Room, Game Room with Billiards and Ping Pong Tables. Vintage MG Car disply. Escape to the Martine Inn for an unparalleled experience! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Cancelon so you can book your Martine Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martine Hotel Pacific Grove
- Martine Inn Pacific Grove