“A glimpse back in time”
Review of Martine Inn

Martine Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Some old-timey hotels feel kitschy but this one is perfect. The detail in each room is remarkable and it feels like you are staying in someone's family house rather than an impersonal hotel. The snacks,mtea available, and amazing breakfast really are something to write home about. I frequent b&b's and can safely say this is near my favorite.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We booked this hotel based on location and price. We are not really into the whole victorian B&B thing but it had good reviews from others and it was under $300 unlike 90% of the other places I had called. The woman who answered was extremely friendly and thankfully they had a room available for us on short notice. And it had a fireplace! Score!! As for location it is just a few blocks from the Monterey Bay Aquarium & Cannery Row which is where we knew we would be spending Saturday evening.

The young man who checked us in was beyond friendly and informative. He definitely would get 5 stars, as would the "happy hour" food. They tell you that you get wine & hod d'oeuvres in the afternoon but this far exceeded my expectations! They had sodas and waters (which was nice because I didn't feel like wine at that time) as well as red & white wine and an extensive food display. Honestly, if we hadn't planned to go out that night we could have made it our dinner, it was THAT good and filling! They also have a permanent coffee station in the foyer as well as a delicious plate of soft brownies... omg heaven!

The room was fine. Like I said, I am not crazy about period furnishings but I did peek my head in a few other rooms that were open and I liked ours the best, so that was a score! We had a clawfoot tub which again, period piece, but highly annoying. I almost fell getting INTO it! And there was nowhere to set my toiletries in there. Oh and the shower was only separated from the main space by a curtain. Which is fine but the toilet room had a glass door. So curtain open + glass door = boyfriend seeing me go to the bathroom. Some people are fine with that, but it's not our cup of tea so I got a "Hey hon.... I can see you!" and me hopping up and closing the curtain. Also, the ugliest sink I have ever seen in my life. I will definitely be posting pictures!!

The bed was fine, pillows were a bit hard, but the stay was nice. It was very quiet which was very nice. Although if you are a person who intends to sleep in past 10am, this is not the hotel for you!!! You can head the vaccuums going at that time much more clearly than at a big box hotel. Our room was pleasantly sunny in the afternoon and it was cozy overnight which was great.

Breakfast in the sitting room was wonderful... except the entree! Omg. I was so looking forward to it. I opened the door to a newspaper, brought it down to a gorgeous ocean view in the common room, was greeted and treated to coffee & OJ and when my breakfast was brought to me it was so beautiful I didn't want to eat it! Honestly I took a few pictures of it. Kudos to the chef on presentation. HOWEVER: while the sausage and berries were delicious, the blueberry french toast was almost like a congealed bread pudding wrapped in a crepe. It was just really weird and not so tasty. Such a let down :(

Checkout was at noon which is nice, and upon checking out we were shocked when we got a goodie bag including two bottles of water and some banana bread. Such a sweet gesture!

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and we would possibly stay again depending on the circumstances.

Room Tip: Choose the Parke Room!! It is top floor with a fireplace AND a spectacular ocean view! We stayed in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Charming historic Inn with an awesome view of the ocean. Great stop as we were drivimg down the coast. Wine and hor's d'overes in the evening and a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The inn has cool antiques, a classic car collection, pool table, game room, garden grotto plus ocean front views. Our room had a fireplace and claw foot tub cannopy bed and huge windows also covered parking and we enjoyed the place..folks were nice. No loud crowds, elevators or buses here.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Excellent staff, location...superior service both in check in and while visiting, rooms spotless, well worth the money compared with other Bed & Breakfast Inns...close to everything...attention to all details...cannot wit to return!

Room Tip: Mahogany room is private, with fireplace and lots of antiques...just a high quality location
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I booked a stay at this hotel through Expedia, but we had to cancel. Even though the cancelation policy on Expedia clearly stated "•Cxl by 3PM, 1 day before arrival, penalty 10USD" the extremely rude manager at the hotel refused to refund our money. He told me "It's your problem!"

Don't even consider letting these thieves have any of your money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott I
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

It was unfortunate that you decided to cancel your reservation the day before check-in when we have a three day cancellation policy, and have had that policy for 28 years. Third party booking engines routinely tell guests inaccurate information. We are on the phone with them regularly to point this out, yet the problems continue to exist. It's time for the traveling public and the hotel operators to hold the third party agencies responsible for their inaccuracies. In the meantime, it is advisable to always check with the hotel regarding their cancellation policies. You chose to hang up the phone while this was being explained to you.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The other reviews peg the place pretty well. Breakfast is served in a beautiful setting, be sure to get there early so you can get an unobstructed view of the ocean. The rooms are beautifully decorated with high end antiques, as the owner is apparently a passionate collector. There's a nice pool table and a comfortable sitting room. There is a side exit that is a little handier than the main door, good to know when parking becomes tight, which it will. If parking on Ocean View is booked, there is usually plenty available on Central Avenue. Very convenient to PG.

Room Tip: really not a bad room. some of them face a courtyard and some have ocean views. make sure you ask wh...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Seven Gables Inn
Seven Gables Inn
#1 of 8 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!