“Excellent stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Essex, UK
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We spent three nights when in the area for the Laguna Seca races. Our room (malarin) was very comfortable with partial view of the ocean. We could hear the ocean waves especially the last day as the ocean was rougher. The breakfast was spectacularly delicious and the service perfect. We loved the late afternoon entrees, perfect after a full drive there or a full day out. It is located only about ten minutes walk from Cannery rows where there are plenty of restaurants and some shops and obviously the aquarium. Ver quite in the evening. There is always tea and coffee available as well as fruit. We would recommend it for sure and we would like to return now!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you very much for your review of the Martine Inn. Because of my interest in MG's we are major supporters of Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca and enjoy having race fans as our guests. Our quiet location and Cannery Row nearby gives our guests lots of options of things to see and do.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2013

What a beautiful stay! We were greeted with warmth and care after a long drive. We got in quite late and were welcomed and shown to our room with pure courtesy. But first we enjoyed several of their freshly baked macaroons that were waiting for us in the lobby. Knowing that it was our honeymoon and being that they happened to have a better room available, they surprised gifted us an upgrade! The room was beautiful, clean and welcoming with a perfectly romantic fireplace. We toasted to the rest of our lives with the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries that were waiting for us. Moments such as this last a lifetime!

The breakfast dining experience was lovely with food done to perfection. The view overlooking the ocean left us feeling relaxed and grateful. Grateful for the experience and such personalized care.

A big thank you to the whole Martine family for helping our honeymoon be the experience of a lifetime.

Jason & Miranda

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
It gives us great pleasure to assist guests at special times in their lives.. The macaroons are one of my favorates also. We appreciate you taking the time to review the Martine Inn.
garden city
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Monterey Peninsula was the last stop of our 3 wk vacation to Northern California. I brought my parents (both in their late 70's) and my 5 year old son from Singapore, to celebrate their wedding anniversary. The reason why I chose this Inn was because they accepted kids, unlike Post Ranch Inn and Seven Gables which I have stayed before and loved, unfortunately have a no-child policy.

Given that we would be travelling with some big suitcases, I called before booking to enquire if there would be someone to help with the luggage knowing that it is a B&B. The lady on the phone said yes it would not be a problem, and hence I booked and paid for in advance for 2 rooms for 2 nights. In the event she had said no, we could easily have booked one of the full service hotels in Monterey where there would be porters to help.

When we got there, the lady who checked us in (I believe was the same one whom i spoke to on the phone) told me the two male helpers have just quit last wk, hence she and another intern would be helping us with the bags to the 2nd floor. The rooms were comfortable, clean and well appointed, and the Parke room which i booked my parents in, had a great view of the ocean.

Breakfast was nothing outstanding, just some cut fruits, and eggs with toast. hardly a gourmet experience for the price we were paying (about $400 per room). I had expected something more decadent. The first morning, when I asked Anne the owner, if she could fix the heater in my room as it was blowing straight at our faces even when on low power. Her response was curt and unapologetic, and she started walking away before I could finish my sentence. Anyway, she did get us a small portable heater in the room that night, which sufficed. Also, the Free wifi in the Inn was not working that morning, and neither was the internet on the computer in the common room. When I brought it to the owners' attention, instead of trying to fix it, they blamed it on my iPhone. Basically, if you are looking for any kind of hospitality or warmth which a B&B should have, there is none here at the martine inn.

The shock came the next morning as we were about to check out. We have had all our bags packed, and I asked Anne politely if someone could help us bring the luggage down to load into the car. Her reply was "this is a B&B and we do not offer any help with luggage". When i told her i had called to clarify the luggage situation before booking, she yelled in a condescending and intimidating manner that there was no way anyone could have told me there was help with luggage ever, and it was my own problem! She then walked away swearing loudly under her breath. There was a young couple at the breakfast area, and they looked at me in disbelief. They were kind enough to offer their help with the luggage which of course i declined. I was so indignant, I have never been shouted at in such a rude manner before, and even worse, pay to be insulted.

By then Mr Don [--] (her husband?) emerged and said never mind what happened, he would try to get me some help. He subsequently went into the kitchen and asked the chef to help with our luggage. The poor chef kept apologizing to us profusely for what happened. I am sure he was used to the temper flares from his lady boss. I was so shell-shocked I didnt know what to say. However I did tell Anne that if she was so unhappy running the B&B, she really should not be in the hospitality business. It was regretful that our beautiful trip to the USA had to end this way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tallulahsoq
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
I guess after 30 years in the hospitality business one can expect a demanding, arrogant, inconsiderate guest to arrive and offend every member of your staff. This guest insisted that she was told we had “two porters” on staff. Nobody ever told her that. Nobody told her the two porters had just quit because nobody had just quit. But, the ladies did help her with her bags on arrival, and Anne did ask the chef to assist her at check-out.
This guest had been told we do not have Room Service, yet very early the following morning she called the front desk, requested Room Service, and insisted she did “not want to get out of bed for two cups of hot water.”
Throughout her stay she had to be reminded that she could not leave her son unattended. Four times in one breakfast seating she was told again, yet no change had been made.
Breakfast has a different, significant entrée prepared every morning in our kitchen. If you ask for eggs and toast, you will receive eggs and toast, instead of or in addition to the special treat the chef has prepared. That is your choice.
The heat in her room works extremely well. She requested a portable heater which was immediately provided but declined to receive further instruction on her in-room thermostat.
Our chef has been here for 26 years and said he has never been treated so poorly in his career. As a chess master, he volunteers at jails, inner city high schools and boys and girls clubs to teach the game.
Anne has been here for 12 years, is a Rotary Paul Harris Fellow, volunteers every month for various charities including cooking and feeding the poor and hungry. She was truly taken aback by the attitude of this guest. I, Don Martine, am a former Citizen of the Year and Council person for the City of Pacific Grove. I am the founding President of CABBI, and a member of the CHL&A Hall of Fame. We care about every human being at the Inn and in our community and treat them and ourselves with care, thought and dignity. I stepped in as this guest was checking out, removed her as quickly as possible in an effort to prevent further embarrassment to my staff and other guests.
Folsom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I love visiting the Martine Inn. Located about a block and a half away from the Monterey Aquarium. This gorgeous bed and breakfast is quiet, friendly and is a truly peaceful place. The rooms are all gorgeous and reasonably priced. We've found specials online that can't be beat. During our stay we've had a late arrival and we contacted the B&B to get the security code as well as have our key ready and instructions for our room. That was our first stay and it was a very simple process. The rooms do not include TVs and the Inn can be easily booked up. Make sure that you abide by the occupancy guidelines and respect the people staying there. The Martine Inn serves a wonderful 5 star breakfast as well as has a wine and appetizer setting at night. The perfect combo for your stay in the area. We love seeing the Harbor Seal Sanctuary located across the sea and walking up along the road from Cannery Row up to Lovers' Point. Some bathrooms are smaller than others so be aware of this when making your reservations.
Finally, at the end of our stay, our host/hostess supplies us with a wonderful traveling treat with banana bread, fruit and water. Such a nice touch.

Room Tip: Consider the size bathroom you need.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam W
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
After 30 years of running the Martine Inn it is nice to know that we are still creating a romantic and relaxing experience for our guests. We need to treat you well so you want to come back. Thank you for taking the time to review us.
Roseville, California
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I spent our 40th wedding anniversary in the Martine Inn in Pacific Grove, CA. The owners Mr and Mrs. Martine made it so special for us. The room was wonderful and when we were taken to our room there was a bottle of Sparkling Wine and chocolate dipped strew berries. Every morning we had a wonderful full breakfast. Fruit, cookies, coffee and tea available all day. They also served at 5-7 pm a very nice snack with wine, water, soda plus coffee and tea. Their staff was there to help us and make us feel at home. I would highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to all who want to be pampered. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Martine

Room Tip: All Room are wonderful they have some facing a garden which we liked. Some also face the ocean view...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
We are always pleased when someone selects the Martine Inn for a special occasion. It also places an obligation on us to create a special experience for this special occasion. We enjoy this challenge and are happy to hear that you were pleased.
Fresno, California, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My experience was horrid and offensive. The following is a letter I have wrote to them:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter with the clear intention of having my voice heard regarding the poor treatment I received upon visiting your facility. On 8/24/2013, I had reservations at your Pacific Grove location. I had requested the reservations online and had paid in full the amount of $369, plus tax to stay at your facility. Without realizing it, the reservation I had made stated that it was only a 2 person maximum occupancy. I did not think of the mistake as the ad description stated that it was King room and in fact, offered the opportunity to use a futon bed. I did not realize the mistake until I arrived, talked to your "hostess", and informed her that I was ready to check in and had 3 other adults that would be checking in with me. I use the word "hostess" very loosely as your staff member did not at any point in time make me feel welcome, nor was she pleasant during any point in time. In fact, she seemed irritated at checking in multiple guests at the same time. However, that sort of behavior could have been forgotten and overlooked if your hostess had not continued to deeply offend and upset me. Upon learning (by my own disclosure) that I had arrived with 3 other guests, your hostess informed me that I would not be able to stay at your facility as it was beyond the rules. Additionally, your hostess continued to insinuate that a larger party would probably be arriving with us and that behavior was not tolerated at the facility. In my car, I had my 69 year old aunt, my 59 year old mother, and my 45 year old aunt. I can clearly tell you that our intent was not to "party" at your facility. In fact this weekend was a bonding time with the family that unfortunately we do not always have luxury of doing very often. I offered to pay whatever extra amount was required to have us all share this room. My intent was never to over-ride your rules. Your hostess only attempt at "helping" was by stating that 2 of the members in our party should "go stay somewhere else", and by stating that she would see if her boss would help, but she stated she did not think her boss would allow this and would probably not answer the the phone call. She left for 2 minutes, closed her door, and said no, she could not help me. I then requested a refund so that we could stay somewhere else. She rejected that request and stated that the hotel would be losing money on that room. This woman never apologized nor made the situation any better. In fact she saw me walk away in tears as all I wanted was the opportunity to offer my family a nice quiet weekend by the ocean. It took all my restraint not to take this sadness to my family as I did not wish to ruin this weekend they were deeply looking forward to. I feel offended and discriminated against. I work hard for my money and felt that even if the refund was not a possibility, which I would still like, proper treatment and common decency by your staff member should have been required. I would appreciate that action be taken in regard to this situation. If not, I intend to contact the local newspaper and see what other avenues I could address my concerns.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Alicia F
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
We immediately responded to your letter as follows: It must have been very upsetting to arrive and find you could not be accommodated at the Martine Inn. We have only one room that will accommodate 4 people and that is our Family Suite. You booked a room with one king bed and an occupancy for only 2 people. The printed copy of your booking from booking.com states "ALICIA FIGUEROA 1 room-2guests-USD 369".
Unfortunately we were sold out and could not provide you with another room for the remaining members of your family. We have worked with Booking.com to make room occupancy as clear as possible. No one here feels you were going to use the room to party; the fire department sets maximum occupancy based upon size and location of the rooms. We have a 72 hour cancellation policy. We offered to call other hospitality facilities to see if we could find you proper accommodations and you declined. We attempted to resell the room for you so we could refund your payment but were unable to do so. We try to treat our guests with courtesy and respect and I apologize if you feel we failed in treating you that way.
Okehampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had a really lovely time at The Martine Inn, even though the five of us were only there for one night, we felt extremely welcome and very comfortable. I often struggle to find good sized family rooms, 2 children seems to be the norm for a family, and our youngest usually ends up on a sofa or camp bed. The family suite here was HUGE, with very comfy beds and two TV's which the kids thought was amazing! The decor throughout the hotel was pure Victoriana, which can be stuffy but was actually done really well here with many antiques from the period.
The staff were very friendly and polite, especially when we were rather late arriving - the manager waited for us and still did the full tour even though it was 10pm.
The breakfast was very good although maybe a little fancy for the kids. I loved all the silver tableware.
The highlight was seeing a school of dolphins swimming across the bay while we had breakfast!
The owner has an impressive collection of restored MG classic cars which he's happy for you to look at - this was the highlight for my husband thought.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, excellent accommodation and reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for choosing the Martine Inn for your stay on the Monterey Peninsula. We try to create a memorable experience and the dolphins in the bay at breakfast certainly add to whatever we can do for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,951 reviews
Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!