“for women only”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nevada
“for women only”
Reviewed 15 September 2007

We stayed there for our honeymoon, at first they took us to our room on the second floor ( be prepared to carry your bags up LOTS of stairs- no elevator or porter service) after doing this you can skip the gym for a week. We got to the room and there were a dozen flies buzzing around ( oh no air conditioning either) I asked if they had screens for the windows? NO, at the rate they are charging you shouldnt have flies in your room buzzing you all night!

they moved us to a larger nicer room, no fireplace but it was more secluded. the room we were inn (the family suite) was like being in your grandmothers house, lots of flowery wallpaper/ lots of femine touches-nothing masculine here!- women love that-men hate it! If it wasnt paid for I would have walked out and gone to a hotel. I was not happy, this was our honeymoon and I was fit to be tied ! They had just finnished painting the hallway so the hall to the room stunk of paint. some of the windows in the room were painted shut, flies didnt seem to be a problem with this room.The hot tub area is inside and smelled of a ton of chlorine. They have one computer in the lobby which you can use to print out maps, boarding passes, ect. On the positive side, the hotel has a good view, but so do a lot of hotels and some better for less then half the cost.

The staff was freidly enought, they have a code for the door which they change everyday, so you better remember it if you want to get back in late at night! parking was no problem as they offer it below the hotel and on thier side street. The breakfast was not good. I am a vegitarian and they seem to think eggs are vegitarian? so it was granola for two days. I expected more. I have to preface this review by saying: I dont like B&B's. you never know what you are getting until you get there, with a hotel its somewhat standardized. I will go back to this area but I told my wife I wont stay at another B&B again! bottom line is it is too expensive for what you get.

• Liked — view of the ocean
  • Disliked — rooms are too flowery, too many steps to climb, breakfast is bad
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Alhambra, CA
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Stayed Monday and Tuesday evening as part of a trip up the coast. Wonderful ocean front location, walking distance to Cannery Row and Monterey Bay Aquarium. Had read generally positive reviews and was expecting an excellent experience at the Martine Inn.

Unfortunately, upon settling in our room, we found that the bathroom was not clean. There was noticeable and visible residue on the toilet and hair in the bathtub. Also, we found red stains on the bed sheets. Naturally, we wanted a clean bathroom and sheets. However, staff informed us that no cleaning staff was available until the next morning (we were a late check-in). So, at around 9:30pm, my girlfriend and I moved to another room for the night, with the understanding that we had to return to our original room the following evening.

We weren't keen on the idea of packing up, moving, and unpacking in the evening and then repacking, moving back, and unpacking the next day. But our replacement room was booked the next evening, so we had to move back. To management's credit, they provided complementary champaigne and chocolates for our trouble.

When we moved back the next day, the sheets and toilet were clean, but the bath tub still had body hair. At this point, we were getting angry and frustrated. Seeing this, a staffer (I don't know his name, he is tall with red hair) offered to upgrade us to a better room. We agreed and moved into a stunning room with a huge soaking tub, canopy bed, and ocean view, which turned out to be one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in. Very nice!

Although the breakfast is average, the dining area has a beautiful ocean view. It's easy to sit back and relax, staring out into the ocean and forgetting about your worries. Also, they have fruit, wine, cheese, and cold cuts available in the afternoon to the early evening. Tea and coffee are always available in the lobby area. Convenient.

So, to sum up, there were problems, but in the end, thanks to a understanding and helpful staff member, it turned out to be a pleasant and memorable stay.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Berkeley
Reviewed 29 August 2007

We go to the Monterey Penninsula quite regularly and have stayed at many places but this is a real find! The service was OUTSTANDING. Every staff member went out of their way to make us welcome and make sure our stay was enjoyable. We mentioned, as we were checking out, that the bathroom sink was a little slow and could use some draincleaner. "Oh please let us change your room immediately, we'll get someone on it right away." (Those are my bags on the floor, we had a wonderful time, but we need to go home now)
It's a B and B with a large dinning room facing Monterey Bay, field glasses are supplied. The breakfast was multi course, hot, first rate, and freshly prepared for each guest, and served on silver place settings. In the late afternoon wine and hot and cold appitizers were served. The staff will be happy to make reservations for you at local restaurants. Thoughout the day bottled water, fresh coffee, large bowls of fruit, hot cookies, and teas were setout for the guests to enjoy.
It was our anniversery weekend so champagne and chocolates were waiting for us in our room at no charge. Along with that the fireplace was setup and a supply of firewood ready. It does get cold in Monterey at night no matter what the season.
Their are no grounds to speak of but the interior public spaces are charming. The guest rooms are decorated in Victorian-era with 4 poster beds and claw foot bath tubs. Lots of antiques. Don Martine keeps part of his collection of vintage MGs on site, a sight to behold in itself.
The location is directly across the road from the Bay and walking trail. It is a very short drive to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and downtown Pacific Grove.
This will be a regular destination for us.

• Liked — Service, views, location, and breakfast
  • Disliked — Some night noise from other guests
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank oldjgw
California
Reviewed 14 August 2007

VINTAGE CAR RACE WEEK. AUGUST, 2007.
I contacted the Chamber of Commerce, for a Hotel referral,
and they gave me a list with this Hotel. Don Martine. The Martine Inn. I wanted to stay 3 nights, but was told that they had a 4 night minimum, so I told Patty, the Innkeeper to book me for Wed. Patty, tried to give me Sunday, which is when everyone leaves, and the rates should go down for $275. a night, but I told her I could not stay Sunday. 2 weeks later, I check my credit card, and the email they sent me, and they have charged me for an extra night. I call them and they refused to refund my credit card. I never signed a contract, either for 5 nights. I have called the Chamber of Commerce that referred me, and let them know that these people are thieves. STAY CLEAR OF THESE PEOPLE. GO CAMPING IF THEY ARE THE ONLY HOTEL IN TOWN. I am a filmaker, a world traveler, and this is the worst Hotel experience I have ever had.

BONNIE EMBER

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank filmexpeditions
san francisco
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Well stayed here about three years ago and loved it. Now this is our second time and loved our fantastic view of the ocean bay. To me this place is really comfortable and great to stay if you are in a romantic getaway. We stayed in the victoriana room and it was nice with a great view and intimate settings. it might just be the best b and b in monterey!

• Liked — The rooms and the view!!
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Chicago Area
Reviewed 22 June 2007

The Martine Inn is a great place to stay if you want to be close to the ocean and are seeking a romantic getaway! My husband and I stayed here forone night of our honeymoon through California and loved every second of it. From the complimentary afternoon wine and cheese to the amazing morning breakfast and day long coffee bar, everything was great! Most rooms have fireplaces and the entire Inn is furnished in impecible antiques - even the game room features an antique billiards table. Also - Mr. Martine collects and displays vintage MGs - a great feature that is a must see! Our time at the Martine Inn was romantic and filled with great food and service - we can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Amazing food and views of the ocean to compliment every meal! All of the history was great, too!
  • Disliked — Breakfast isn't served long enough. Other than that - everything was wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 10 June 2007

We stayed mid-week at the Martine Inn in late May 2007 and it was delightful from start to finish. Our mid-level room, on the 2nd floor with a partial ocean view, was cozy and stylish, not crowded with knickknacks, bows, and ruffles as so many B&B rooms are, even in California. The afternoon wine and appetizers were unusually good--fresh fruits, baked chesses, marinated mushrooms, good bread, etc. And the service was excellent--my wife left very valuable earings in our room and they were found and sent to our home fedex at no charge. We are already planning a return visit. Great getway from San Francisco.

Stayed May 2007
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,951 reviews
Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!