I booked this hotel for our last night stay at the end of our two week Californian trip. I wanted a hotel with a view and something impressive so I picked Seven Gables and one of their premium rooms - Fairmont. The price for this was well above anything I'd paid for the rest of the trip so my expectations were high. These were expectations that weren't fulfilled unfortunately.
I have to say that I can see why this place has its fans - the place is decorated to a very high standard - fully renovated and quite sumptuous. The service was also excellent - we met the Operations Manager, Mr. Wheelwright who, after a short chat, provided us with some itinerary options for our final day - good ones as it turned out. It was a pleasure to meet him.
Many of the guests had clearly stayed more than once before and absolutely love the place - the impression I got was that the grandness of the public spaces and the quality of the personal attention they received is what endears them to the place.
So why was I disappointed? Basically because of the room - it did have a nice view and a comfortable large bed but it kind of ended there. The room wasn't that big - just about room for a couple of chairs alongside the bed. There was no closet or wardrobe - merely a small hanging rail. We couldn't have used that for more than a night. Neither was there a bath - it had a shower. There is no air conditioning - probably not such a big deal in a town that doesn't get overly warm. There's no TV in the room (but I did know that when I booked it). Finally there's no tea or coffee making facility - that is available from early morning but in a completely diffferent building.
If I'd been paying about $200, say, for this I would have been somewhat happy (or at least reconciled) but it cost way, way more than that and it makes me think I'll maybe save my pennies and research more carefully next time.
Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice place and I can see how it attracts a following (mainly of more mature guests) but it wasn't our style and it's not what I would shell out good money for again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine the picturesque and romantic setting of Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove, California with waves crashing along the rocky shoreline of the Pacific Ocean. Sea otters and whales are viewed regularly from this comfortable, relaxing inn. ALL OCEAN VIEW ROOMS in a cluster of seven historic buildings. Savor a bountiful breakfast in the oceanfront dining room and gather for afternoon wine and cheese featuring Monterey County wineries. Munch on homemade cookies served with milk in the evening. Outstanding service and hospitality make Seven Gables Inn an especially delightful retreat. Free on-street parking and free high speed wi-fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Seven Gables Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 7 Gables Inn
- Seven Gables Hotel Pacific Grove
- Seven Gables Inn Grand View Inn
- Seven Gables Inn Monterey