My husband and I splurged on a three day getaway at the the Seven Gables. It is beautifully furnished and decorated and immaculate -- we even saw someone dusting the outside of the building. The location is ideal, overlooking Monterey Bay with beautiful views from our room and the lovely breakfast room. And it's only a short walk to downtown, with lots of shops and good restaurants. Staff were gracious and helpful. The grounds are beautiful, with lots of flowers and several areas where one could sit, either overlooking the bay or the gardens. It was quiet and peaceful. The breakfasts were bountiful, with lots of choices, and a very good variety, but the entrees were not cooked to order, as we would have expected at such an expensive B & B. Instead, they were prepared ahead and kept warm in chafing dishes, and though they were good, they were not as fresh and piping hot as we would have liked. The fresh fruit included some that were not in season, such as canteloupe, honeydew and strawberries, and they were tough and had little flavor. We found the bread from Paris Bakery to be dull and flavorless. We like to sit quietly and read the newspaper while we have our breakfast, but there was only one table for two, and it has no voew. We usually had to sit at a larger table with other people, some of whom were quite chatty.
Our room was beautifully furnished and had a spectacular view of the bay, and two comfortable chairs that were on wheels, so could easily be turned to face into the room or outward for the view. Linens and towels were excellent. But we found the room just a bit too small, so that if someone were sitting in a chair, there wasn't enough room for the other to walk by.
There is so much to love about The Seven Gables Inn, and if we had paid $225 or $250, we would have been satisified, but at an average nightly rate of $317, we felt it was not a good enough value, and wouldn't return..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seven Gables Inn overlooks beautiful Monterey Bay and offers dramatic views of the Pacific Ocean and coastal mountains from all directions. ALL OCEAN VIEW ROOMS with ensuite bathrooms. Complimentary bountiful breakfast served in the oceanfront dining room overlooking Lover's Point cove. Complimentary afternoon wine and cheese pouring only Monterey County wines. Complimentary evening housemade cookies and milk to finish your day. Complimentary high speed WIFI. Free parking. Close to Monterey Aquarium, Cannery Row, 17 Mile Drive, Carmel, Big Sur and other scenic sights. View our website for additional information on rooms and special rates. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- 7 Gables Inn
- Seven Gables Hotel Pacific Grove
- Seven Gables Inn Grand View Inn
- Seven Gables Inn Monterey