This was a pretty neat place to stay. It's located in (and basically is) a state park right on the pacific coast. It was maybe a 10 minute walk from my room to the ocean. It's very quiet and peaceful, and the grounds are pleasant to walk around. Everyone who works here was also friendly and helpful.
That said, it's clear this place needs an overhaul. The room I stayed in looked like it has last been decorated in the 1980's, and there were lots of hard-to-reach places where dust and grime had accumulated and not been cleaned. The plumbing was also odd. To take a shower, I'd first set the temperature of the water coming out of the bathtub spout to be comfortable, and then switch the diverter to start the shower. The first time I did this, I was quite surprised that the water coming out of the shower was about 20 degrees hotter than the bathtub spout. The toilet also didn't feel quite sturdily attached. And in the conference facility my group used, the bathroom had these really annoying spring-loaded faucet levers that you had to hold down to get water out of.
The food, provided in the dining hall, was quite decent. There's not a lot of choice in the offerings, but they compensated by having different things available each day. Several people I was with complained about the taste of the water in the dining hall, but I didn't notice anything.
Wifi was adequate---it was on the slow side, but entirely usable.
All in all, it was fine to stay here once, but I don't think I would come back until it gets a facelift.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This refuge by the sea is a tranquil oceanfront retreat cradled by pine forests and white sand beaches. Situated along the shoreline of California's famed Monterey Bay, Asilomar offers historic lodging with views of the forest, surf and sand, plus unique conference spaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Asilomar Conference Grounds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asilomar Conference Grounds Hotel Pacific Grove
- Asilomar Conference Grounds Pacific Grove
- Asilomar Conference Center
- Asilomar Hotel