“Great Get-A-Way”

Asilomar Conference Grounds
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Asilomar Conference Grounds and state park is a great get-a-way at a very reasonable rate - in comparison to other local motels. It is bare bones - no TV, phone and you have to request a coffee maker. But, the quiet is nice. Make sure to request your size bed, and get to registration early. The grounds are a conference destination and attendees can arrive all at the same time. Check in is at 4:00, check-out 11. We requested a late checkout 12, and there was no problem. Rooms are scattered all over the grounds, so plan on walking if want to get to the social hall. The social hall has a small coffee deli, a nice gift shop and places to sit and enjoy the big fire place or play pool.

Room Tip: Request to be as close as possible to the Hearst Social Hall or to walking distance to the beach if...

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is not a motel for the typical hurried traveler. This is an historic YWCA camp that has been preserved for those who can appreciate some quality time in a quality natural setting. If you want a typical modern motel, good TV, fast internet, etc. do not go to Asilomar. But if you want a restful, nature-oriented, almost-camping ambiance, Asilomar is really unique. This is a very special and relatively inexpensive opportunity to have a different kind of experience. Great for hikers, bird watchers, beach walkers, singles, couples, families, big groups, etc. There are lots of different styles of rooms in the different buildings. Our room in AfterGlow was cozy and clean with a fire place and good beds and bathroom. The balcony and view were great. One nice surprise was the ample underground parking for buildings in that group. We enjoyed eating a light dinner with wine on the deck at Phoebe's Café and breakfast at the Crocker dining hall where we met some delightful fellow travelers at the 8 person tables. Food prices are a little high, but not enough to worry about in the long run. We loved sitting by the huge fireplace in the main Social Hall to warm up. Fantastic dunes, beach, and tidal pools are a quick and easy walk. It's close to so many interesting things to do. We loved going to the aquarium in Monterey and the famous 17-mile drive. All-in-all, one of my favorite places to stay ever!

Room Tip: We liked getting a room with a balcony.
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Very basic rooms. The room we stayed in had all of the basics and you definitely were in touch with Mother Nature. A little different to not a have a tv in the room but was okay. Walls are thin and easy to hear everything at ALL times of the day. Overall good stay but wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mojo12125
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I got married here 10 years ago, and it was absolutely wonderful! We tied the knot on the stunning white sand beach and had the reception in the Seascape hall. I remember the people being delightful, and the scenery and food being heavenly, but we had stayed at fancier accommodations over in Monterey. Last night we were ending our 10 year anniversary highway 1 trip back where we started at Asilomar- this time staying the night.
I give the gorgeous grounds 5 stars. In my opinion there aren't many places that rival its natural beauty.
The Julia Morgan designed main buildings are 5 star as well and they really do create a rustic but grand charm. The smell of all that wood along with the campfire smell that hangs around makes me so happy and cozy. It has that feeling of a ski lodge, especially with the fireplace on and the games being played. there is a pretty new coffee shop, but it got tedious when one of the employees left one poor lady to serve and make food for a growing line of patrons. my mocha was so good it made up for the wait, but others were getting annoyed. I was a bit disappointed there werent coffee makers in the room, but as with everything else this added to the communal theme they have going on.
The room- I would give a 3 or 4. I don't like that it is so Spartan that it has an old cafeteria or 70's library vibe, The old waiting room chairs and carpeting as well as the burnt orange formica countertops should be redone so as to at least add a little romance. The most important thing to me is a comfy bed and this is definitely an update I very much enjoyed! Also we stayed in the Willow which was HUGE and had huge windows to view the squirrels and deer that went by in the morning. The room was also very clean and water was nice and hot.
Lastly I would like to add that the employees were always smiling and friendly. They were helpful when we had any questions or needs. This counts for a lot in my book.
I would definitiely stay here again if I was in the mood for something rustic and wanted to relax and unplug. Next time probably bring the kids since I noticed all the ones around the place seemed to be having the time of their lives!

Room Tip: The Willows rooms are very large with large windows.
1  Thank mommagarlic
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was here initially for a conference but at the end stayed on for a couple of days. It is such a lovely setting. Yes the buildings/ rooms are basic and you don't have fancy facilities like coffee makers etc.. but on the whole I really liked it.
Although the food was good and quite varied it was a bit like canteen food (ie made in bulk) and although for the conference part it was great having the 8 person tables, when that part was over I would have preferred the option to be on my own.
To buy food or drink in the cafe is quite expensive but good.
I can't comment on the price as it was included in the conference fees.
All the staff there are very friendly and very helpful. You are very close to the beach but it is a reasonable walk to Downtown.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The rooms definitely rate four stars; with the door open we could hear the waves crashing and see a seal hunting in the ocean. No TV and no telephone (unless you go to the end of the building. I felt the meals were overpriced for cafeteria style. Otherwise, a great place.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I love staying at Asilomar. The setting and location are unsurpassed. With meals served in the Crocker Dining Hall, it is a little like being at camp with tables of 8 rather than an isolated hotel experience with tables for 2.

Some rooms are tired but a multi million dollar rennovation is in process. I like the newer rooms with balconies, but the historic rooms are wonderful.

For a solo trip it is a wonderful place to stay. Lots of natural beauty with walkways thru the dunes and the family style dining assures meeting new people. I asked for an electric tea kettle for the room so that I could make my own hot drinks. It was delivered to my room within the hour.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
#13 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Asilomar Conference Grounds? Share your experiences!