Asilomar Conference Grounds
Sunset Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$180
Lovers Point Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$151
Deer Haven Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$132
Pacific Gardens Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$145
Butterfly Grove Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$120
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$166
US$110
Lighthouse Lodge
Rosedale Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$129
Monterey Peninsula Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$142
All reviewsdining hallsocial halljulia morganthe main lodgehistoric roomsstate parksand dunesconference groundshuge fireplacefamily reunionrustic charmrent bikeshearst castleroaring fireboard gamestwin bedsthe pacific ocean
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Family Nature Summit is a gathering of nature loving adventurous families ranging in age from very old to very young who has been gathering for over 30 years. Hundreds of us took over the Asilomar for a week. We travel once a year all over the US. The Asilomar accommodated us fairly well. Rooms were clean, beds very comfortable, in a natural setting in ear shot of the beach. This is not a hotel. More like a lodge setting at a national park. The grounds have obviously been recently refurbished with new paths, restored buildings and roads. The food was plentiful, fresh and tasty. Dining room comfortable and spotlessly clean. One BIG issue is what was served. Children food is not an option at all at any meal. Very limited variety (eggs every morning and pork or chicken most nights) but great vegetarian. It is a convention food service where you are plated and served. No input or dietary considerations. The dining hall is operated militantly and efficiently. They served a lot of people very quickly but you have to follow their rules.Dining is one hour and if you are late there is a good chance you will not be fed. Overall I would recommend it for large groups but warn about the lack of flexibility.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

First, the positive: the grounds were beautiful and the location was fantastic.

The negative: we booked our stay on Groupon for a room with two double beds. We were traveling with two other couples with their children and they each booked the same exact type of room. We arrived first and as I was checking in, was told our room would contain two twin beds. I asked how in the world I was supposed to sleep myself, husband and three year old in two twin beds. The front desk clerk shrugged and blamed it on groupon for not telling the hotel that we had a child with us. I said that there is no way for us to even sleep in that room and was told by the clerk he could do me a favor and put us in a room with a king bed on Friday night, but we had to move back to the twin room the next night. I asked how that was doing us a favor. After some back and forth, the supervisor stepped in and told me I lucked out, that a couple in front of me had cancelled their reservation and I could have their room with two double beds.

I gave a heads up to our friends that this had happened. One couple spent an hour arguing with the front desk clerk, showing them the groupon print out and accusing them of a bait and switch. They were finally given a room with two double beds as well. The third couple was not so lucky and ended up with the twin room, with two small children. We also overheard a couple checking in and being told the king sized ocean view room they booked through the hotel directly had been given away to someone else. The clerk argued with that couple that they couldn't just kick out the guests already in their room and they were going to be stuck with a room with twin beds. Clearly, this hotel can't figure out how to properly assign rooms.

Once in our room, we found it to be basic. Nothing fancy, which wasn't a big deal for us. This is after all a state park. We did though have issues with the noise level. Our room included a small room off the main area, about the size of a large walk in closet, that contained a twin bed. We tried to put our three year old in it to sleep, but had to move her out around 11pm when our neighbors returned to their room. They were talking quite loudly and cursing. We could hear their conversation so well that it was like they were in the room with us. The only barrier between the area our daughter slept and their room was two thin wooden doors. We ended up having her sleep in one of the double beds and having to close the door going into the small bedroom to get a little bit of quiet. It was still noisy though.

The second major issue I had was with the shower that went from nice and pleasant to scalding hot and then ice cold without warning, back to warm, back to scalding hot, cold, and so on. I tried to take a shower twice and it happened both times, so I couldn't take a decent shower at all while we were there.

We had a few interactions with the front desk clerks during our stay and each time they were unpleasant to deal with. They were either flat out rude, or completely indifferent to us. We also ate at the restaurant and found the staff there to appear bored and disinterested in providing good customer service.

Overall, if this place was half the price that we actually paid, it would have been fine. For what we spent though, we could have easily stayed anywhere else in Pacific Grove/Monterey and had a better experience for the same price, or even cheaper.

This was an incredibly disappointing experience and I will never return to this hotel, nor would I ever recommend it. Which is a shame, because it has so much potential.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Chamittleman
Taina P, General Manager at Asilomar Conference Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your business and you taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. I apologize that some aspects of your stay did not meet or exceed your expectations. We have been working with our Groupon Team to provide some additional clarity for our guest towards the restrictions in booking. Your comments regarding the front desk have been shared with our team as Guest Service is our top priority. You are welcome to reach out to me prior to your next visit to Pacific Grove, as I will gladly assist with your reservation and insure you have a GREAT stay. We hope to welcome you back.

Enos Esquivel /Director of Operations

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Went to breakfast on Lighthouse Ave & when we got back our rooms had been cleaned & our money & RX were stolen while we were gone for one hour.
The food on the grounds is horrible!! Taste like airplane food but for 300% mark up. Not a value at all!!! Very disappointed!!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Renotravelgirl
Taina P, Manager at Asilomar Conference Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We appreciate your business and you taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. Your incident was reported to the local authorities and our internal investigation was completed. We coordinate all our security efforts with California State Park Rangers to assure a safe environment for all our guests. I apologize that some aspects of your stay did not meet or exceed your expectations. If you have any other questions please contact me at Esquivel-Enos@Aramark.com

Enos Esquivel | Director of Operations

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at Asilomar recently for a conference. It was my second time at this resort. While the setting is spectacular, I was very disappointed withe conference center. The rooms were run down, a little dirty, and with splintered wood decks, etc. But the worst part is that on my last day there, someone stole $300 from my room (no sign of forced entry, so possibly staff), and the hotel keeps telling me someone from their insurance company will call me, but nobody ever does. Sooooo disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank travelingmomNYC

Enos Esquivel | Director of Operations

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Asilomar Conference Grounds and state park is a great get-a-way at a very reasonable rate - in comparison to other local motels. It is bare bones - no TV, phone and you have to request a coffee maker. But, the quiet is nice. Make sure to request your size bed, and get to registration early. The grounds are a conference destination and attendees can arrive all at the same time. Check in is at 4:00, check-out 11. We requested a late checkout 12, and there was no problem. Rooms are scattered all over the grounds, so plan on walking if want to get to the social hall. The social hall has a small coffee deli, a nice gift shop and places to sit and enjoy the big fire place or play pool.

Room Tip: Request to be as close as possible to the Hearst Social Hall or to walking distance to the beach if you don't want to walk long distances. Request the rooms on the outer rim for forest, deer and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple