“Excellent Food and Service”
Review of Max's Grill

Max's Grill
Ranked #21 of 78 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What it lacks in ambiance, this restaurant makes up for with its outstanding food and service. The restaurant is rather plain, but the menu and cuisine were outstanding. I would definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Took the whole family here for a special meal last week. Wow! I knew the reviews were great and I was expecting a great meal, but I can't emphasize how great the food is here. Absolutely perfect ravioli. Whether you order the mushroom, the dungeness crab, or the duck confit with duck ravioli, it doesn't matter. You will have possibly the best ravioli you have ever had. It was definitely the best I have had. I had the duck and it was the best duck meal I have ever eaten period. The bonus is the outstanding service you get from Max's wife. If you are ever in Pacific Grove, make a point to go here.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Again, after reading rave reviews about Max's Grill, my wife and I decided to try it for dinner. She ordered the price fixed meal: spinach salad, pot roast with roasted potatoes and vegetables, and mango mousse. She enjoyed the salad, did not like the pot roast because of its overwhelmingly wine flavor, and was neutral on the mango mousse.

I ordered the sand dabs and found them to be adequate, but not delicious. The dabs had a medium coating and were under seasoned resulting in a bland taste. I also had the tomato bisque soup which had an overly strong cheese flavor.

The service was very attentive, and the ambiance was pleasant.

We were relatively disappointed in our meals at Max's Grill after the build up from its previous reviews.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is a solid 4 stars in my book -- very well prepared food, good service, and pleasant environment. The $25 prix fixe menu offers some pretty decent choices at a great price. We started with appetizers of crab cakes and spinach salad. Crab cakes were full of sweet Dungeness crab, with a terrific aoli mayonnaise that was divine. Spinach salad had the right blend of greens, walnuts and creamy blue cheese in a sweet vinagrette. Wife couldn't resist the lamb shank, meaty and in a savory tomatoe sauce while I had the more traditional sand dabs in lemon butter with capers. Rice pilaf was perfect And the mild fish let the creamy sauce compliment it completely. Their mango mouuse (spelling?) was a wonderful end to a great meal. No doubt in our minds that the chef knows his stuff. The attentive and friendly staff kept the pacing perfect to make the meal more memorable. This one is a keeper.

2  Thank ECL
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This Tripadvisor recommended restaurant was indeed a treat. My husband and I both had appetizers - my shrimp egg rolls were outstanding - and then we both had fish for dinner. He had sand dab - a local fish, and I had the wahoo. Both were perfectly cooked with excellent sauces that did not overwhelm the natural flavor of the fish.The restaurant is reasonably priced despite the the outstanding quality and preparation of the food. I was sorry that we were too full for dessert. The restaurant is physically attractive and they play wonderful (quiet) music. I strongly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank FnuLnu