“Quaint Cabin-Like Feel”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Madison, Wisconsin
“Quaint Cabin-Like Feel”
Reviewed 10 August 2005

We stayed at the Sea Breeze Lodge for two nights. It is located in a woodsy little area, which lends itself to a peaceful feel. The room itself was only okay. Its carpets were in dire need of replacing, and there was considerable mildew buildup in the shower area. Having said that, the room was otherwise clean and had a relaxed feel to it. The roof was being replaced while we were there, indicating some renovations are in place, but on vacation we like to sleep in, and the workmen started at 9:00 am. We found both the desk clerks and the housekeeping staff to be incredible friendly and helpful. Breakfast included hot cocoa, coffee, big Costco muffins and bagels. Overall, this wasn't a bad place to stay, but after seeing some of the restored Victorian Bed and Breakfasts in town, I'd probably go with the history of an old house rather than an old motel.

4 Thank palmyrita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Reviewed 30 June 2005

What a great place. I have to tell you I run a hotel myself and I was very impressed. Customer service was outstanding and the rooms were very clean. I will definately go back - Thanks for everything

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 June 2005

This place wasn't bad for the money. While I have to agree with another review saying the carpet was dirty, the rest of the room was pretty clean. The pool looked rather dirty, so if you were planning on relaxing in one you should probably go to another place. I think the biggest problem I had was that they charged me $10 more than I had agreed to online(this does not include the room charge fee). I'm not really sure if they had given me an upgrade, but I definitely did not request one.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guerneville, CA
Reviewed 26 December 2004

Returned to Sea Breeze Lodge (formerly Pacific Grove Motel) after many years to find new ownership. We were more than disappointed to find unspeakably filthy carpets, a broken refrigerator, and algae growing all over the tiles in the spa, rendering it unusable. We will not patronize this lodging or any other of "Monterey Peninsula Inns" accommodations again.

• Stayed November 2004
4 Thank shirhall
Mission Viejo. CA
Reviewed 1 November 2004

Not at all what I expected. When we arrived look like a charming nice place. When reservation was made I was advised my room had a court yard. Thought we were staying in one of the cottages, but was directed across street to some very old motel style rooms. Court yard was a parking lot with a little greeen grass over on the side. I have stayed in better motels out in the middle of the dessert. There was rust and mold in the shower area along with the shower head or piping being sideways. The shower pan sounded as if it was going to break under your feet. The smoke alarm kept going off and had to disconnect the battery. Didn't want to listen to the beeping all night. The lighting and power kept going off in the bathroom. One night was enough and when I went to check out the counter girl didn't seem to care whether you were satisfied or not. Asked for a receipt, but would only give me a receipt with $000 dollars listed. Wouldn't give me one for money spent. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere nice. Didn't expect to stay in Bates Motel in Pacific Grove.

9 Thank fourbrews
Reviewed 20 August 2003

Good location on Lighthouse Avenue for beaches, golf, 17 mile drive etc and 10 minutes from Aquarium. A litte pricey at $120 per weeknight compared with some better quality more spacious motels in similar-sized Californian towns. But that's Pacific Grove.Clean room though a bit small. Never saw staff except at check-in & briefly at breakfast so no comment on staff attitudes / behaviour.Had to cross the main road to get breakfast buffet!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#8 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
#13 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Monterey Peninsula Inn? Share your experiences!