“bad start, got better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Monterey Peninsula Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
“bad start, got better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2006

We checked in at 3:00 and drove to our room. The door was open and there were bedsheets on the ground so I thought a maid was still in there. After about 5 minutes I peeked inside and found a huge mess--the room was not ready. I went back to the office and the young woman at the desk was very apologetic. She said two maids had called in sick. As we were one of about three guests there I would have thought they would have checked on the room. I had even phone-confirmed out reserv. the day before.
The woman offered 10.00 off our room rate for the night and gave us tickets to the Monterey Bay Aquarium--we are already members, but can give them to someone.
She said there were no other rooms available to offer us--even though the parking lot was completely empty.
We came back a few hours later and the beds had been made, food removed. Still, the carpet was just shot, sheets had holes and stains, the toilet seat was chipped down to wood (uck) and there were marks all over the walls. The room was so bad, we decided to check out in the morning. In the morning I told the person at the desk that the room was just so bad we couldn't stay there. She told me that that room was scheduled to be rennovated in a week....would we like to see a rennovated room? We did and this room was much better--smelled like new carpet and fresh paint. The bed linens were new and pretty--so much better. Funny though, the toilet in this room was really old and the paint on the lid was splintered. The front door, although painted and sporting a new kick plate on the front, was all split and peeled on the interior. The was a hole drilled in the door where maybe they will put a "peekhole" in the future??
The new room was much better-I would advise anyone to check with the management about the condition of the room they are getting. The staff was nice and eventually made us happy. For our next trip to PG in Nov. I will try to stay in a different place.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Cameron Park, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2006

This is a copy of a review I wrote for Sea Breeze Inn & Cottages. These two properties are jointly owned. The Inn & Cottages is the newer property The Lodge is the older, in bad need of repair and upgrade, property. They clearly get any ratings based on the new property.

When booking this hotel BE VERY CAREFUL. Make certain you call the hotel and confirm EXACTLY what room you will be receiving. Although I do not believe even this will assure you of what you expect to receive for a room. We had booked our reservation online where lovely photos indicated a cottage or a motor inn type setting. Lovely rooms, full baths etc. What we received were instructions to go across the street to a very nasty room. Small, dark, active mold in the room. The shower door was in the vicinity of 14 inches wide, no tub. The furnishings were ancient and the carpet threadbare, at the entry it had worn away to holes and very easy to trip on. We went back to the office and spoke with the man behind the desk. He indicated that they were filled up at the Cottages and Inn, even though a Vacancy sign was clearly visible. His explanation was they did not have time to change the sign. He told us no manager was available for us to speak to and he remained adamant in not changing our room. Fortunately I called the online reservation company, who spoke to the hotel, and again to us. They offered to transfer our reservation or cancel it entirely without penalty as the room was clearly misrepresented. Happy ending we found a lovely hotel, comparable price with breathtaking ocean views. OF NOTE: I believe that part of the reason we were able to work with our online reservation company was that we DID NOT CHECK IN. We called them first.

• Stayed February 2006
15 Thank july22sue
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2005

We stayed in the deluxe room (1 queen & 1 double, separate sleeping areas). It was a decent little room, perfect for family accomodations. I had read complaints about the carpet in other reviews and our carpet looked like newer home carpet. Not fancy, by any means, but nicer than the stuff found in most hotels. My family (myself, husband and 2 boys) did not feel cramped like we often do in most hotels. The separate sleeping areas were great. The continental breakfast was muffins & bagels with a generous supply of coffee, tea, and juice. It was adequate for our family's neds. We were close to the ocean. The Sea Breeze was the nicest hotel we've stayed at this year. We travel often, so we go for the best prices and the Sea Breeze was the best deal I could get on this particular weekend on Monterey (some car race thing was going on). The location in Pacific Grove was very nice, far nicer than the "ambiance" in Seaside.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank CaliJoy
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2005

We stayed at the Sea Breeze Lodge for two nights. It is located in a woodsy little area, which lends itself to a peaceful feel. The room itself was only okay. Its carpets were in dire need of replacing, and there was considerable mildew buildup in the shower area. Having said that, the room was otherwise clean and had a relaxed feel to it. The roof was being replaced while we were there, indicating some renovations are in place, but on vacation we like to sleep in, and the workmen started at 9:00 am. We found both the desk clerks and the housekeeping staff to be incredible friendly and helpful. Breakfast included hot cocoa, coffee, big Costco muffins and bagels. Overall, this wasn't a bad place to stay, but after seeing some of the restored Victorian Bed and Breakfasts in town, I'd probably go with the history of an old house rather than an old motel.

4 Thank palmyrita
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2005

What a great place. I have to tell you I run a hotel myself and I was very impressed. Customer service was outstanding and the rooms were very clean. I will definately go back - Thanks for everything

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2005

This place wasn't bad for the money. While I have to agree with another review saying the carpet was dirty, the rest of the room was pretty clean. The pool looked rather dirty, so if you were planning on relaxing in one you should probably go to another place. I think the biggest problem I had was that they charged me $10 more than I had agreed to online(this does not include the room charge fee). I'm not really sure if they had given me an upgrade, but I definitely did not request one.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guerneville, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2004

Returned to Sea Breeze Lodge (formerly Pacific Grove Motel) after many years to find new ownership. We were more than disappointed to find unspeakably filthy carpets, a broken refrigerator, and algae growing all over the tiles in the spa, rendering it unusable. We will not patronize this lodging or any other of "Monterey Peninsula Inns" accommodations again.

• Stayed November 2004
Hotel Abrego
Hotel Abrego
#7 of 55 in Monterey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,143 reviews

Been to Monterey Peninsula Inn? Share your experiences!