“A must stay!”
other travellers have booked this property
Beautifully remodeled and updated spanish villa style home.
Designer decorated living room with a warm and cozy gas fireplace. Gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances and butcher block countertops.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Beautifully remodeled and updated spanish villa style home.
Designer decorated living room with a warm and cozy gas fireplace.
Gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances and butcher block countertops.
Gourmet kitchen with stainless steel appliances and butcher block countertops.
French doors in dining area open out to a beautiful backyard patio.
Stone accented bathroom with a Jacuzzi Solon spa.
Master bedroom with custom built closet and plenty of storage.
Dining area and guest room open out to stone pavered backyard patio.
View of Lover's Point and ocean.
Lover's Point Park and beach are just steps away.
View of Lover's Point Beach across the street and down the stairs (yes, its that close!!!)
Point Pinos Lighthouse, Pacific Grove - 5 minutes away
One of the many spectacular views at Monterey Bay Aquarium - We provide 2 free passes for our guests
Cannery Row has many galleries, shops and restaurants
Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf has great restaurants and is only a five minute drive away
Carmel Mission - One of Father Junipero Serra's original California missions
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Modesto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 for a stay in August 2013
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
10 Jan 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. It was nice meeting you and your family. Your two boys are adorable. We're very happy you enjoyed your vacation and hope that you will come back and visit again soon.
armene22
Fresno, California
“Beautiful place, obsessive micromanaging landlady, stressful details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

We (my sister and three small children) were very fortunate to find such a lovely place to stay. Location was prime, environment gorgeous, not a complaint about the premises. Very tastefully decorated and kept in pristine condition.

But the beauty was not worth the stressful experience of having to attend to endless detail including overly frequent contact with the owner/landlady. I thought it was fair enough to sign the rental agreement, pay all fees, and put down a notable security deposit, but then she needed my cell number "just in case." Then it was an email requesting that we notify her upon our arrival so she could know we had arrived safely and everything was okay. Then it was a voicemail notifying me she had decided not to leave the key in our agreed place but to move it to a more simple-to-access location. We pulled into town late in the evening and before we had even arrived she had sent another email reiterating her request that her renters notify her upon arrival so she knows all is okay. Minutes after sending that email, my cell phone began to ring. Mind you, I was still driving. My sister answered my phone and of course it was Barbara, the landlady, checking on us. Now some people might feel very pampered by such behavior. I was annoyed beyond belief. Upon arrival, I responded to her email and asked her to please not contact me any more by phone or email unless there was some sort of emergency. She sent me a text message the morning of check out, exactly at 11am reminding me that check out time was 11am and to please remember to put the aquarium passes back where we found them. We had already checked out.

Possible guests should know that although the place advertises "sleeps six," there are only two real beds. The "sleeps six" means there is an inflatable air mattress available on the premises. The owner was kind enough to inflate it for us upon my request. Possible guests should also be aware that the place comes with a long list of requirements on everything you must be sure to attend to during your stay such as immediately wiping down any drop of water on the kitchen counter so it won't ruin the special butcher block counter tops, or immediately drying any water drops off the floor of the bath as they could stain the special wood floor. And upon our departure, despite the fact that we had paid a cleaning fee, we were expected to run the dishwasher, start the washing machine with a load of towels, take out any and all garbage, deflate and put away the air mattress, etc, etc. That was time we could have been spending enjoying our morning at the coast.

Another annoyance was that although it was the dead of winter, December, we were informed we were not to run the heat "excessively" as the meter would be checked before and after every renter vacated the premises, and if the owner decided, based on the meter, that the renters had run the heat "excessively" (a relative term with no clear definition provided), a penalty would be charged and taken out of our security deposit.

I am an avid traveler and have stayed in hotels, vacation homes, B & B's, you name it, but none of those lodging experiences ever elevated my stress level like staying in this one did. Suffice it to say, the experience of being in the home hardly felt like a vacation. We enjoyed the surrounding areas--beach, park, aquarium, Pacific Grove--immensely. But we could not vacate the premises soon enough.

4 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location.
Liked least: The numerous responsibilities that accompany the stay and unnecessary contacts with owner.
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Older travelers
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
9 Jan 2014
Renting a vacation home is very similar to staying in a hotel, bed and breakfast, or any other type of lodging. There are procedures for checking in, checking out and using the facility. As with all types of overnight accommodations there are certain expectations of each guest that help ensure policies are followed and that the facilities are in excellent condition for both the guest that is checking in as well as the next guest that follows. From the lowest budget motel to world class resorts, all have rental agreements that must be signed and followed (most of us never pay much attention to them, we just sign and go). Similarly, private vacation rentals have the same agreements.

Unlike hotels, a private vacation rental is most likely someone’s home that you’ve been invited to stay in. They come in many shapes, sizes and conditions. Still, it is a personal residence that you’ve been welcomed to. Some may be beautifully appointed while others are very basic. Regardless, each owner has a set of rules and procedures that help keep their home in good condition so that each new guest can continue to enjoy the property.

Our home is not like most others. It was completely torn down (including the walls and studs), redesigned with a new floor plan and rebuilt with the best materials and amenities. The builder that remodeled our home is responsible for many of the luxurious high end homes in Pebble Beach that you see along 17 Mile Drive. No expense was spared and only the finest materials were used. Our furniture and accessories were selected with great attention to detail. After completion, it won an award from the Pacific Grove Historical Society for preserving it’s architectural history. It was only used as a private vacation home for the next four years. Since then, we’ve enjoyed sharing our home with all of our guests!

As you can imagine, our home is a beautiful and luxurious place to stay. It is warm, inviting and comfortable. We get many compliments and return guests. Many return year after year, reserving their vacations a year in advance. Some of the reasons they come back are because our home is beautiful, we keep it in extremely impeccable condition, and we maintain excellent contact with our guests.

None of us like rules or rental agreements especially when we are on vacation. But, as lodging business, we are required to follow rules just like the big hotels. One requires us to get complete contact information from each guest. Another makes us personally
check-in each guest in upon arrival. These aren’t too hard to follow, but an inconvenience at times especially when the guest doesn’t provide their complete contact information or doesn’t give you a courtesy call when arriving late.

In the case of the review above, I went to meet Gay and she did not show up for check-in at the time she selected. After a few hours of waiting I began to wonder if she and her party had changed their plans and were not staying at our home. At 8:30 pm I decided it was time for me to go home and email her. At 9:00 pm an email was sent to Gay asking her to please let me know when she arrives at the house. It is our policy for each guest to give me a quick phone call, email or text to let me know they have arrived (if I am not there to greet them). I did not receive a response to the email, so I called her before heading back over to the house. The conversation was short and I was told she was on her way. I felt very uncomfortable after the phone call as if my ONE call bothered her. I honestly just thought maybe she was having a bad day. I haven't spoken or contacted her since. From her late arrival until now, I only received one rude email telling me she was on vacation, not to bother her and she will contact me if she needs me.

We love to be comfortable and we wish that for everyone that stays in our home. When it comes to heat there is nothing better than having a warm place to relax and call home. We’re not sure what Gay is referring to about using the heater. Our guest instructions simply state: “We encourage you to turn off/down the heat and lighting when leaving the house, when doors and/or windows are open and when it is not needed.” It is reiterated in the rental agreement. We don’t monitor the electric meter and hope that our guests will make themselves right at home.

Renting a vacation home is definitely not for everybody. It requires a little more attention to detail than staying in a hotel room. Things like wiping up a liquid spill or wiping up water that drips onto the bathroom floor after a shower are basic courtesy that should be done when staying in anyone’s home. We do ask guests if they wouldn’t mind starting the dishwasher and taking out the trash before leaving because food and containers left standing leave an odor. We also ask guests if they wouldn’t mind starting a load of towels to avoid odors that damp towels often leave. We have new guests arrive just a few hours later and we want the home to be as fresh and clean as it was for the prior guest.

We take pride in the excellent condition of our home and it is reflected in the guests that continually return time after time. We are very thankful for the guests that take the time to keep our home beautiful. It perpetuates a wonderful vacation experience for everyone that stays here.

As for Gay, we tried to accommodate her in every way. Wiping up a little water and removing old food to the trash was a little too stressful for her. Calling us for check-in or providing us with a phone number was too much for her to deal with. She does not appear to be the type of person that cares about being courteous to the next guest. A vacation home rental was probably not the best choice for her.

We encourage you to read our other reviews. As you will see, many families have enjoyed their time in our home with wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. Nothing makes us happier than creating an excellent vacation experience for our guests. And, we will continue to make sure our guests stay in a beautiful home and look forward to their next visit with us.
Turlock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 for a stay in January 2014
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
5 Jan 2014
We're happy that you enjoyed our home and that it worked out so well for your family. Your girls were very eager to see the aquarium. I'm sure it was an adventure that they will talk about for a long time. Thank you Julie!
clonedmj
La Crescenta, California
“Excellent and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 for a stay in November 2013

Family of 4 plus 1 mother in law stayed at this very clean home. I loved the proximity to the beach although cold but my son and I enjoyed daily morning walks to the rocks and enjoyed the view. Also rented bikes which was across the street and just enjoyed the atmosphere and the relaxation that was long overdue. All of my family really enjoyed their stay and my 5 year old even said he will buy the place when he gets older...:) I can only hope. I would like to stay here again in the future.

Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
BHarangus
“A splendid house in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 for a stay in November 2013

My family and I had a wonderful experience renting this chic spanish style villa! The owners were very nice and prompt with our booking. The owner came personally ( in less then 10 min.) to help me setting the heater's temperature! The house was very clean and has everything that you need to feel relaxed and comfortable. Everything inside is high quality and I loved the antique armoir and the paintings. I only had to keep on eye on my 4 year old daughter, but she behaved ok. We loved the location too: we could just walk across the steet to go at the beach and we used the passes for the Aquarium :) I recommend it to everybody!

5 of 5 bubbles Service
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing