Pacific Gardens Inn
Sunset Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$180
US$154
US$150
  • Pool
Lovers Point Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$151
Deer Haven Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$132
Butterfly Grove Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$120
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$175
US$166
US$110
Lighthouse Lodge
Rosedale Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$129
Monterey Peninsula Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
US$142
All reviewspopcorn makerpopcorn popperwine and cheeseasilomar beachcontinental breakfastlocal bakerybagelshard boiled eggssconesacross the streetthe fishwifemile drivewood burning fireplacefull kitchenthe asilomar conference centerliving roomhot tub
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I just moved to CA from FL 10/2013. We didn't have the funds to fly back to FL for Christmas (over 2K), so we decided to take a road trip over the holidays and SEE California! Our last stop was Pacific Grove. I chose this hotel for its location, pet policy & price.

Pros:
-This hotel allows pets - it almost seemed like the only one around as everyone else there had a dog with them (we had our rat terrier, Fancy)
-From the hotel, it's just a short walk to the ocean; we watched the sunset both nights we were there - it was breathtaking
-They offer complimentary wine and cheese every night - it was nice
-The folks in the office were pretty nice.
-They have cable. It was so cold after the sunset we watch Bar Rescue for a couple of hours!

Cons:
-This hotel is SERIOUSLY outdated and falling apart - literally. They need to invest in the property and give it a make-over, ASAP. They still use physical keys - no cards.
-The beds are so old and terrible - did not sleep well either night
-Strange old/musty smell in the room
-Lights in the bathroom don't reach the shower - that's right, hardly any light while showering
-The floor and linens in the room did look or seem clean - I slept in long pj pants and my hoodie & didn't walk around with my shoes off
-The walls are paper thin - we heard dogs barking, conversations, walking, giggling - you name it.

Overall, I would not stay here again unless it had been renovated. I'll pay extra to feel comfortable in a clean room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tkwillms
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We've just returned from a most relaxing stay at the Pacific Gardens Inn. First off, the inn has a stellar location on quiet and rustic Asilomar Boulevard, an easy five minute walk to a very scenic segment of the Pacific coast. Secondly, the staff is extremely attentive to your every need.

Each day at 5 p.m., a savory spread of California wine and cheeses is offered beside a roaring fire in the common room. This is followed in the morning with a filling breakfast that includes a choice of fresh locally prepared pastries, cereal, toast, fruit and hard boiled eggs.

Many of the lodging rooms also have fireplaces. Our room was quite clean, had a very comfortable bed, and provided a wide choice of television stations.

I've saved the best for last -- Pacific Gardens Inn has the most welcoming and reasonable pet policy I've ever encountered. There are no add-on fees, deposits, or draconian rules. The staff only expect the guests to show good judgement and respect when caring for their dog.

Pacific Grove is a wonderful destination, and the Pacific Gardens Inn is a great place to stay!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoliageSeeker
Reviewed 24 January 2014

When we first arrived for a 3-night stay, my daughter and I were happy with the wooded atmosphere, small intimate feel, and location. We settled in for a relaxing evening in our room after walking around all day, and things were going well at first. HOWEVER, a large dog started barking in a yard immediately behind our room and KEPT BARKING on and off for more than 4 hours and then again in the early morning, waking us up. A call to the front desk elicited the comment that, "It's a rescue dog." The clerk stated she called the owners to quiet their dog, but nothing changed. Second night was a little better so we decided to stay (we had prepaid). The third night, however, was the worst ever and that poor unhappy dog barked almost constantly for more than 5 hours. Same story the next morning. Despite the positive aspects of the hotel, I will NEVER stay here again.

At one point, I spoke with a gentleman who seemed to be the manager, and he stated that I should let the front desk know and they would be sure the owners kept the dog quiet. Apparently that doesn't work, since I spoke with desk clerks at least 2 times a night for the 3 nights. The young woman on our third night said, "Well, I asked them to quiet the dog but I can't make them do it."

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sandy K
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Second visit, will return again if possible. Great location, close to asilomar beach where you can watch the surfers. We also saw a whale this time. Owner/manager and staff very friendly and welcoming. Great closet this time and shower. Plenty of hot water but be conservative. I really like this cozy lodge-like atmosphere over larger hotels. Wifi, kitchenettes. Great visit.

Room Tip: Entire location is quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill M
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We had a 2 BR room at the Pacific Gardens Inn and found it absolutely delightful. We have stayed at other places in the same area. We like the Asilomar area, which is very quiet and close to Asilomar Beach and the start of 17 Mile Drive, and not heavily trafficked at all, yet somehow only a short drive away from PG's main drag, Monterey, and Carmel. Our first impression was very welcoming, with Robert the owner greeting us, and the lobby with lit fireplace, comfy chairs and tables. If you are a grown up, you will love the wine and cheese they serve here every evening, perfectly timed for a little relaxing nosh and downtime in between a day spent outdoors and dinnertime. The staff and owner have great recommendations for the area, and there is even a computer for guests' use. You will also appreciate the coffee and continental breakfast served here mornings, so you can stop by before heading out for an incredible morning walk on Asilomar Beach and the trail that leads along the dunes to Spanish Bay and 17 Mile Drive. If you are a kid, you will love that you are able to bring your dog with you, that there is a kitchen where snacks can be kept, the hot tubs, the popcorn makers in the rooms, and the free wifi and cable television for when you are pooped after a day of digging in the sand and sightseeing in the area with your parents and ready to flop on the sofa. If you are the family dog you will appreciate not being left at home without your people, and running around on Asilomar Beach. Pluses are: the management and staff, large rooms, a great price (for the area), offstreet parking, comfortable beds, multiple TV sets in the 1 BR and 2 BR suites, and genuine family and pet friendliness. We actually travelled with two other families and the only complaints I heard were that the showers were a bit low and weak pressured, and taps in the bathroom stiff. Also not all of the rooms had dvd players which was a bummer when we wanted to put on a movie for the kids. But they can always watch Netflix on the laptop.... since the wifi is free. Décor is slightly dated, but no more than I'm sure you would find at vacation rentals in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family