“WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM THE RED HOUSE CAFE-THAT IS, UNLESS YOU LIKE OVERPRICED BAD FOOD”
Review of Red House Cafe

Red House Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 6 January 2014

WHATEVER YOU DO, STAY AWAY FROM THE RED HOUSE CAFE—THAT IS, UNLESS YOU LIKE OVERPRICED BAD FOOD

My wife and I took another couple to the Red House Cafe for dinner. I had purchased a certificate good for a $50 credit to be subtracted from our check. The certificate specifically stated that there was no expiration date. When the check was presented to me, I gave our server my certificate. The server informed me that the Red House Cafe no longer accepts certificates purchased from Restaurant.com, which is where I purchased my certificate. We asked our server to speak with the manager, since there were no signs or other indications in the restaurant to inform people that the restaurant would not honor valid certificates. The validity of my certificate was never questioned. The manager refused to honor my valid certificate. I called the manager of the following day. He told me that the restaurant stopped accepting the certificates because people would use them to dine at the Red House Cafe once and never come back. Perhaps this is an indication that the manager should review the prices and the quality of the food at the Red House Cafe. The prices are high, and the quality of the food is low. Why would people return to pay full price for overpriced bad food? In sum, I came into the Red House Cafe fully expecting to have $50, deducted from my check. As far as I am concerned, the Red House Cafe cheated me by refusing to deduct the amount set forth on my valid certificate, $50, from my check.

1  Thank JEFF1943
There are newer reviews for Red House Cafe

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I were looking for a good cafe to have lunch in Pacific Grove. This place had great reviews on Ness. After a short wait we were seated at a cute table in a corner of the "house." The atmosphere was really nice and comfortable. My husband had the spinach salad with chicken. It also had pears, blue cheese and pecans. He said it was the best spinach salad he has ever had with really good chicken and light dressing.

I had the grilled cheese, which was a gourmet grilled cheese! It had artichoke and red peppers grilled with fontina cheese and thick, fabulous bread! It was unhealthy and soooo good! And it was served with a cold orzo pasta salad. We will be back the next time we visit. We loved this place.

Christopher D, Owner at Red House Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Carina C- Thank you for visiting us from Cupertino. We are delighted to hear that your husband liked the spinach salad and that you enjoyed the "gourmet grilled cheese". A photo of the grilled cheese can be seen on our Facebook or pin it board. We hope that you will come and see us again soon. Thank you for your wonderful review. Happy New Year ahead.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We wanted to try this restaurant for years but it was always so crowded. Well, we happened upon it when it was quiet. We were so very well greeted and seated immediately. The service was excellent and food delicious. We have been back a few times since - even making reservations so we could be seated at a busy time. Each time, the service has been great, the food delicious, the ambience delightful. We highly recommend this lovely bistro.

Christopher D, Owner at Red House Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

NilesDoglover-.Thank you for your delightful review! Thank you for being a new and now repeat customer. We are happy to hear that you liked the service, the food, and the ambiance, and that you "highly recommend" Red House Cafe. Thank you for your kind words. Please find us and join us on our new Facebook Page and Pin it board. We have a new website, too, that you might enjoy. Happy New Year ahead!

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

It is one of those places that make you want to move there. everything was good. the service was excellent and we will definitely be back

Christopher D, Owner at Red House Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Becky T-Thank you for your lovely review. We are happy to hear that "everything was good" and that the "service was excellent" during your recent visit from Panama City. We would love to have you move here to Pacific Grove. Please come see us again soon. And, in the interim, please find us and join us on our new Facebook Page and Pin it board. We have a new website, too, that you might enjoy. Merry Christmas!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

OMG we LOVE this place. We were cold, tired and hungry after a day at the Monterey Aquarium. We weren't wowed by all the tourist places. I Yelped and found this cute place in Pacific Grove. It is so cute. We got a corner booth by the fire place which was like eating in a quaint country cottage. The food was AMAZING! We had the Rib eye which was cooked to perfection with delicious mashed potatoes and veggies. Their baked goods are amazing. We were so inspired we bought the whole Blackberry pie and took some home. A must for those who love a nice dinner out in a quaint homey atmosphere. Perfect! ahhhhh

Christopher D, Owner at Red House Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Martha L- Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you liked your corner booth by the fireplace, our rib eye steak, and our baked goods. And, thank you for taking a blackberry pie home with you. What a nice compliment. Please come see us again soon. Please find us and join us on our new Facebook Page and Pin it board. We have a new website, too, that you might enjoy. We might even share your wonderful review on Facebook. Thank you again. Merry Christmas ahead!