“Good varied menu”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery
Lancashire
“Good varied menu”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We really enjoyed our meal here. The portions were a good size and the food was delicious. The service was very good and the waitress was helpful and friendly.

• Visited May 2013

Monterey, CA
“Protect your health, and perhaps life, by staying away.”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This establishment does not take food allergies seriously, and will call you a liar to your face when you tell them you have one, rather than just apologizing for making an error on an order.
My husband and I have lately been coming to Tillie Gort's for brunch just about every weekend, and often came in during the week for lunch. Never encountered any problems until today. We ordered our usual Turkey Bene(dict) from a waitress e've seen many times before. When she dropped off the food at our table, I noticed both plates were instead the Veggie Bene, which contains mushrooms. I am allergic to mushrooms, which I made a point of telling her when I called her back over to fix the order. She took the plates back, without apology, and I heard her talking to the cook in the kitchen. She had written down "Turkey" but he made "Veggie." I did not hear her tell him about my allergy, so I was concerned that the cook might just pick off the mushrooms and put the turkey on, but when the waitress came back over, she said, "He's remaking it." So I assumed everything would be fine, and that our breakfast was literally being remade. When the correct food arrived, I did not observe any mushrooms, and began eating.
After finishing one of the benedicts (is that the term?) I started on the other one, and immediately found a chunk of mushroom about the size of my pinky fingernail. I poked around under the egg and turkey, and found some smaller pieces of mushroom, as well as a couple pieces of mushroom gill. I was still debating about what to do when the waitress came over to refill our waters, and asked if we were enjoying. I hesitated. "Well," I said, "I'm still finding mushrooms. Since I'm allergic, I'm a little scared to keep eating." She peered at the mushrooms bits on my plate. "He remade them," she said. I asked if the cook had simply picked off the mushrooms. She didn't know, and asked if I wanted it remade again. I declined. She walked away. I started eating the potatoes, since they had never been in contact with mushrooms, and decided to forgo the rest of the benedict.
The waitress soon returned with the bill. "I took one of them off," she said. I told her that wasn't necessary. "That's fine," she said, "but it's just hard to do any more when I see that you've eaten like three quarters of it."
I was baffled by her reaction. "I didn't ask for a discount, just a dish without mushrooms."
"You really should have brought it to my attention sooner," she said. "When you've eaten most of it, it's hard to do anything, but I took one off the check."
At this point, I felt like she was accusing me of trying to get a free meal. "I didn't ask you to do that," I said again. "But you should have told the kitchen about my allergy, so it could have been remade properly."
"I told them."
"That I am allergic?"
She left without response. I turned to my husband, then felt a hand on my shoulder. The waitress had returned.
"I know you're upset," she said. "but if you really had an allergy, you would be in the hospital right now. I get that you don't like mushrooms..."
I could not believe this! "So, I'm a liar?" I asked. "I'm lying? Do you want me to get my doctor on the phone? Should I bring down an allergy report for you?"
"I gave you one free!" she said.
"I don't care about that!" I told her yet again. "I will pay for it! But I am never coming back here after this!"
"You know what?" she said, snatching the bill from the table. "Just go! Get out of here."
So we did, and we will never, ever return. That had to be the most unprofessional behavior I have ever encountered in my life. To be accused of lying about an allergy, for what? Free food that I kept insisting I did not want free? All that would have been necessary would have been a simple apology the first time 'round and a properly remade, corrected order without things on it that, yes, I am allergic to.
As I said before, we have been frequent customers, which is even more odd to me, given the implied accusation of scamming. It is very disheartening that any restaurant would so carelessly disregard a claim of an allergy. I know that some people do say they are allergic, even if they are not, just so they don't have to pay a substitution fee or something, but even still, food allergies are incredibly serious, and should be treated as such, 100% of the time. It's just plain scary that Tillie Gort's doesn't care. I hope they don't kill someone some day.

• Visited June 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We recently came here on our anniversaryt trip and purchased a Groupon. We got here in the early afternoon and the place was empty. We were told to seat ourselves. Went to the dining area and couldn't sit by the window because there was empty dirty tables that haven't been cleaned up yet. We reviewed the menu and I ordered the greek pasta dish and my husband ordered the hamburger. Neither one of us were impressed with our meals. His hamburger was not cooked enough and my pasta dish was drowning in olive oil. For a dish that costs over $12 I would think that the portions would be more generous. They were not. Our waitress wasn't the nicest. She decided to give me a lecture because I didn't tell her that I had a groupon initially. Would it make a difference? I doubt it. This is a place we will definitely pass up on our next trip to Monterey!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank vikski85
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Just okay for me.”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I was initially excited by the gluten free options offered by Tillie Gort's. It's hard to find gluten free accommodating restaurants. For lunch I ordered the pesto cream and chicken pasta with gluten free pasta and was a little disappointed by the small portion and the hefty price tag - $16.50!?! Yikes. This was more expensive then the fine dining meal I had for dinner the night before, and half the size. The chai latte I ordered was really good, it had added spices and was sweetened with honey. The soup and sandwich combo my boyfriend ordered was just okay. The waitress was friendly and the cafe is cute but I would rather cook myself lunch than return here.

• Visited March 2013
Monterey, California
“So Comfortable and Vegetarian”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Gee, Tillie's has been a landmark here forever and is consistantly very good. We went in yesterday and ordered a nice green salad with tomatos ~ super fresh lettuce and one of their delicious "sprout filled" sandwiches. It is always so friendly, decorated with colorfull art and comfortable. The atmosphere lends itself to all catagories of customers. The have a good selection of coffe drinks, great for couples, families, friends, business or solo and is priced right. I've been frequenting Tillies for years and never have been disappointed.
You'll like it!