“Excellent restaurant hidden in PG”
Review of Petra Restaurant

Petra Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 80 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This restaurant is hard to find as it's located just after you pass a huge eucalyptus grove when you enter downtown Pacific Grove, and you have to flip a u-turn to park in front. But the food is really fresh, reasonably priced, and good! The menu is a mix of Middle-Eastern and Greek dishes. I particularly love the vegetarian combination plate, which comes with hummus, baba ghannouj, falafel, and tabouli. I usually order the dinner portion, because it comes with a small Greek salad, which is amazing. The mjadara, which is lentils and rice served with fried onions, is mouthwateringly delicious. I must admit that I also enjoy the occasional cheeseburger there, because they're really good. As is the salmon special, particularly when it's wild. And I recommend ending the meal with a Turkish coffee, which is a bit of an acquired taste, but I've grown to love it and its cardamom flavor.

The decor is a little dated, but it doesn't detract from the food.

The factor that takes this restaurant from very good to excellent is the family that owns the restaurant. They are the sweetest people, originally from Jordan, and they treat their guests like they're family. I highly recommend this restaurant if you're in town.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

When we walked into Petra, it was not at all crowded, and after we finished, we couldn't understand why not. The prices for food and wine are quite reasonable, and the food is absolutely delicious. We ordered falafel (very fresh), and a fantastic appetizer platter that had a lamb kabob (perfectly grilled), chicken gyro, hummus, and dolmades. We would have ordered more but that was completely satisfying. This restaurant is a great alternative to disappointing and overpriced fancy restaurants. Don't miss it.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stopped in almost by accident as we were looking for somewhere to eat. This mediterranean restaurant had dated decor and played Indian music, but had delicious hummus and chicken gyros. Our waitress was very helpful and ensured my lactose intolerant friend had a dairy free meal. While we didn't order them, we heard later that they have the best burgers in town.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Really good humus. Beyond that my picky eater, who only orders cheeseburgers these days, loved the chicken soup, my chicken kabob, and rice from my kabob plate. The Baklava was not overwhelmingly dripping with honey. Nice murals on the walls. Great prices on gyros. Lamb on kabob plate very tender

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We ate there in August and had a wonderful dinner with great service. Meal was flavorful and fresh. Room was quaint and crowd seemed mostly local. I'd go there again.