“Went there because of the reviews!”
Review of First Awakenings

First Awakenings
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I frequently use trip advisor. I am delighted with my meal with First Awakenings. The staff was friendly and quick. The bacon was crisp, but not burnt. I am picky about my eggs-very picky. The waitress was amazingly accommodating. I like my eggs fried-hard. Most chefs will not/do not cook them enough. My eggs were PERFECT! Crunchy on the edges. I ordered one pancake-which was huge! The syrup was warm-wonderful. The only reason for less than a perfect score was the waitress never returned with additional butter after my request. She gave me the check-so I am confident that she completely forgot. (Please note-she was very friendly and happy!) The second reason was the pancake was not hot-warm. I felt that the pancake had a "funny" taste, but am certain that this is because I am not used to scratch pancakes. It was fluffy and cooked even in the center. I went on a Tuesday morning, did not have to wait and was given a choice of 2 tables. There is outside seating-which would have been lovely had it not been raining. There was a fire pit and fun painting on the surrounding walls. A perfect location to pick up the Ocean View Blvd.

1  Thank Katryna H

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Everyone recommended First Awakenings, so the expectations were high. We landed a table outdoors which was nice, and the service was good. The three of us ordered omelettes, so I can't speak to the pancakes... but the food was good, and the atmosphere pleasant. The location is a tad off the beaten path, but that definitely doesn't cut down on wait times. Expect at least a 20 min wait before noon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We looked up best brunch in Monterey and found First Awakenings.
They dont take reservations so on Sunday morning we ended up having to wait more than 30 minutes.
The staff at the front were moderately polite and after our first conversation we were almost about to leave but decided to stay because of the yelp recommendations.
The food was good not fabulous but the portions were pretty big. I ordered a vegetarain crepe which had a mexican flair so if you like salsa get this. We also got a single pancake which was the size of my plate and very reasonably prices for the size. The pancake was yum.
Freshly squeezed orange juice, huge portions, hot coffee and ability to substitute make this spot memorable.
If its a nice day, ask to be seated outside and while waiting enjoy outlet shopping.
Next time we will try out another spot.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

When we inquire about restaurants, we always ask "where do the locals go?" First Awakenings is such a destination and we were nt disappointed! My wife's gluten-free needs were easily accommodated. The coffee is provided in an urn so you can fill your own. There is indoor seating at tables, booths, or outdoor tables in a protected courtyard. Depending on the weather conditions, you may request any of these seating areas. After breakfast, stroll out the door and turn into various shops located in the American Tinnery Cannery. The breakfasts are ample so you will not walk away unstatiated.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Food is fantastic. Service is great. I make sure and get in early just so I have time to eat breakfast here before the aquarium opens.