“Great Lunch in Pacific Grove”

Taste Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #16 of 80 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Prescott Lane
Description: Welcome to Taste Cafe & Bistro a cozy European style restaurant where guests can view chef/owner Bill Karaki prepare each dish from scratch. Our European influence menu features items such as herb-roasted chicken, grilled rabbit, escargots, pastas, organic salads, exceptional soups and Au gratin potatoes. The marvelous fresh made brioche bread pudding,apple galette and hazelnut chocolate torte should not be missed. Come join us, for a great meal in a slice of Europe, in the heart of lovely Pacific Grove and enjoy our fabulous cuisine in a wonderful atmosphere!
Cary, North Carolina
“Great Lunch in Pacific Grove”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

On our way to 17 mile drive my wife and I stopped for lunch at Taste. It is located out of the way in a small strip mall. We had the special which was an angel hair pasta with tomato sauce, chicken, mushrooms, artichokes and tomatoes. Our meals were excellent. Our server was friendly and efficient. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

• Visited May 2013

Pebble Beach, California
“Can't WAIT to go back!!!”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Having had a wonderful experience at lunch a few weeks ago I was anxious to return with my husband for dinner. It was all I had hoped for and then some!! My husband and I ordered the sand dabs and our friends had salmon in parchment and the butternut squash agnolotti. OMG! The sand dabs were melt-in-your mouth delicious! Cooked perfectly. Our friends loved their dinners as well and not a thing remained on any of our plates! Cozy atmosphere and such warm and gracious hosts - Bill and Sue! So, if you are looking for fabulous food, inviting casual European atmosphere, a nice glass of wine and lovely staff - this is your place. As locals we will return again and again! Thank you for a lovely evening.

• Visited May 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Just ok”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The service was great. We were well attended to by friendly servers who did a great job. Why they all wear chef's jackets is a mystery, but whatever.

There were some good parts about the food. My salad was really good- except pears are evidently not in season and the ones they put on my salad were rock hard and flavorless. They need to update this salad as the seasons change to reflect what's seasonal. This close to America's salad bowl, there is no excuse to be serving out of season fruit.

My husband's steak was cooked perfectly and he loved it, but he had no fewer than 4 garnishes on top if it- raw diced tomato, white cabbage ribbons, fried onions, and parsley sprigs. Not necessary. Just serve good simple food that isn't hiding under a blanket of "stuff". The au jus he said was watery, but the fries were good.

The atmosphere was ok. The restaurant is nice and open. The tables have nice crisp white linens. A couple of things that bugged me, though... They need to clean the beams and pipes that span the ceilings. I could see it had been a long time since they'd been cleaned. And what in the world is on the light fixtures? It looks like they've draped dinner napkins over the light fixtures. It looks very homemade and odd. Not classy.

I so wanted to like this place. We're on a mission trying some different places in the area to try to find some new favorites. I might give Taste a try again in the future if I heard that they changed their menu up or something. But based on this dinner, I wasn't impressed. It was just ok.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Leslie319
Castro Valley, California
“A special place -”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Taste Cafe and Bistro is a hidden gem away from the center of town. The distinctive interior sets the tone for the rest of the dining experience. An added bonus is the high ceiling which absorbs the ambient noise, making conversation easy. We had the veal medallions and the marinated lamb riblets, both dishes and accompaniments were done to perfection. We even asked for more bread at the end of the meal so that every drop of the succulent sauces could be mopped up. The servers were exceptionally informative and warmly professional. It is indeed a very special place!

• Visited March 2013
Pebble Beach, California
“Continental flair that locals love!”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

As a LONG-time, full-time resident I totally disagree w/ 'Ron K's" remark re: "inflexible owner". We all have bad days and sometimes it takes two-to-tango. MOST smaller restaurants on the peninsula do not accept discount coupons on the weekends. During the off months here -all revenue is much appreciated. That said-I(we) have not been to Taste in quite some time..no reason...just a rut. HOWEVER-I had a meeting w/ 7 others last week -a few of which had little time for lunch much less a lunch meeting. The owners were fabulous. We called in our orders late morning to allow them time to accommodate our time crunch & they were MORE than accommodating!! The food was wonderful...much like what one finds in Bistros in Europe. Lovely people - amazing service - fabulous menu. Cannot wait to return for a cozy, romantic dinner w/ my husband as TASTE is a 'SPECIAL" place that offers a 'warm & fuzzy' feeling and the owners DO make every meal prepared special for the person they are serving. Perhaps 'Ron K' ought to use his coupons on weekends at larger chain restaurants able to absorb the loss of revenue.

• Visited February 2013