“Much approved experience@Beachcomber”

Beachcomber Inn
Fresno, California
“Much approved experience@Beachcomber”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Thank goodness The Beachcomber Inn is back on track!!! I found the new managers Nicole and Joe to be both caring and professional. Everyone of my needs was taken care of.They even made sure I was booked into a room with recently shampooed carpets.
If you want to stay at a great location, with reasonably priced rooms and a friendly, helpful staff: Look no farther.

I'll be making reservations for October and I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 18 and 24 are larger
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marla B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The Beachcomber Inn is the last building on Asilomar Blvd so you have nothing between you and the ocean. On the other side is the Fishwife Restaurant so it's quiet except for the crashing of the waves, which I never tire of. The Beachcomber Inn is a diamond in the rough. If the owners would just put some money in their Inn they would have a goldmine. Instead, they were smart enough to hire Joe & Nicole as the new managers. They have been working tirelessly to give this place a facelift. The rates are great. It's difficult to find a place to stay on the Monterey Peninsula for under $100, but it can be found here. The beds are surprisingly comfortable. No problem sleeping and when I wake up I leisurely walk to the office and get myself coffee and a waffle, although there are plenty of other choices including biscuits and gravy. Joe & Nicole have a way of making their customers feel like family. I have to come down to PG fairly often and this is where I stay everytime.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Cathy M
Antioch, California
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at the Beachcomber Inn for the first time this week, and I have to say we have found a new place to stay, provided they have a room available for us when we call. When I initially made my reservation, I was so nervous about getting a room for our 31st anniversary that I kept calling, even though I had made a tentative reservation on the Beachcomber Inn’s website. Being the type of person that I am, I didn’t trust the reservation on the website, because the website seemed a little outdated, but the website told me to expect a call for a confirmation. I couldn’t wait for a confirmation call, because I had to know that I had firm plans, so I kept calling them.
We like to come here at least 3-5 times a year and usually stay at Asilomar. I love the area because of the weather, the beautiful scenery and the quietness that Pacific Grove offers. We are from the Eastbay and I hear the entire time that we stayed in Pacific Grove this week, the temperatures in the Eastbay were over 100 º’s. However, while we stayed in Pacific Grove, the weather was a beautiful, misty overcast with temperatures between 57 º -62º the entire time.
We have been coming to the Monterey area and Pacific Grove area for about 20 years and have stayed in numerous hotels and inns in the area, such as the Hyatt, the Colton Inn, Portola, Asilomar.....my new number one choice will be at the Beachcomber Inn.
The Beachcomber Inn offers homestyle biscuits and gravy in the morning, with an array of bagels, eggs and waffles. Great location, I like to walk the trails that are so close you can hit them with a stone.
Newcomer management team, Joseph and Nicole were very accommodating and friendly during our stay. Them along with their children give this place a homey feel that you can’t get everywhere. I have read the reviews and it doesn’t seem quite fair, I mean, the new management team have done an enormous amount of improvements in the short 8 weeks that they have been there. People seem to forget that it takes time and effort to change things that, to be honest as I see it, were the result of past problems. I mean how can the new staff be blamed for the state of the Inn as it is when they just stepped into the management position a few weeks back? What I do like about the new management team and their staff members, Troy and Veronica is that they are young people who are very focused in their vision of how the Inn will look and feel in the near future, and are working toward that goal very hard every day. Where else can you get such value? Believe me, I have checked around, and for the location and view, you would have to pay at least 3 times as much at a different Inn. Besides, they have a great breakfast to boot. I enjoyed the morning conversations with the staff and guests each day that we stayed there.
People, forget the dust of the renovation, the carpets that will be replaced, the clocks that don't work... I am not sure why you would be so picky when for the price, you can't beat the location. We had a room that you could hear the waves crash in the middle of the night from the large balcony. During the day, you could look out and see the beautiful ocean. I would much rather stay in a place that offers limitless possibilities than to sit in my room and stare at the carpet.
As a matter of fact, I booked a reservation for the upcoming Labor Day for me and my family. Kudos to Joseph and Nicole, Troy and Veronica!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank waldonmissy
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Well, I've written a few reviews and this will be my first 1 star - terrible. I've been going to be Beachcomber for almost 40 years now. It hasn't been renovated during that time, but I've kept going for sentimental reasons. The last couple of years has shown a significant decline once Arlene and Bob left. Now when I say it's been declining, I mean that I wouldn't recommend it to my friends because I would be embarrassed to admit that I stay there.

That said, I booked their best room a year ago to celebrate my birthday - it has a great view and deck. I called 3 weeks ago to confirm. They said that the reservation was under a different room number now, but the room I wanted was available, so after a lecture about the low price I had been given, I was switched back.

We arrived to find out that the room was already occupied. The new manager Nicole said she was so sorry about the confusion, she was only 8 weeks into the job, and offered to comp us a different room. If only she had stopped there - but the temptation to keep going when you're trying to sell a story gets to be too tempting sometimes. She saw my 6'3" husband and then told me that I requested a king bed. WRONG! I know that there are no rooms with a deck that have a king bed except the end unit I had originally booked, so I would have NEVER requested it. We always opted for the deck.

Obviously, someone wanted the room for more than 2 nights, so they bumped us to get a few extra dollars. The problem with this is not only the lack of integrity, but the fact that now they lost a very loyal customer and they get this review.

Nicole boasted that 75% of the rooms' carpets had been cleaned. If that's your selling point, enough said. Based on our last visit, the rooms are in their original shape - same windows, wall heaters, and worn bathrooms. They had lost their loyal cleaning staff and the cleaning was questionable. They used to wash the comforters after each stay - not likely now. The office is no longer open all day. The pool has been closed for a few years. I guess the owner is too cheap to get it to pass the requirements necessary to have it re-opened.

So I would recommend paying a few more dollars to stay anywhere else. It's a great location, but what good is that when the room is a dive?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank boomerang888
BeachcomberNardone, Manager at Beachcomber Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for your response and personal opinion of The Beachcomber. We discussed your concerns, and your original reservation was a different room. With the initial reservation I mentioned the king bed because that room that was reserved for you had a king bed and the one you were in had a king bed, I was never given the information regarding your request for a deck. It is not about the money for us, I am sorry you feel that way. The pool is shut down for ADA upgrades.I sincerely apologize for the confusion. It is not in the best interest of the hotel to have negative reviews. I feel that we are making huge changes to the inn, the office is not closed anymore, upgrades to the inn are happening everyday. I wish you could see the changes. Other guests have seen the changes and are expressing them everyday. I do try and treat every guest with respect and treat our guests as I would want to be treated. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I love this hotel! The rooms are extremely clean and the beds are so comfortable!!

I'm always welcomed by Nicole at the front desk who goes above and beyond to make me feel like I'm a guest in her home.

You get so much for the price, no other hotel offers close access to the best beach in PG, great breakfast and amazing staff. I will never stay at another hotel, I love the Beachcomber! Thank you again for providing a great hotel experience!

A+++++

-Jared N

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank JaredN831
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 26 July 2012

we have stayed in the PG/ Monterey area before and have always seen the property. It has a great location a veritable stone's throw from Asilomar beach. Unfortunately, this is its only asset. when we arrived to check-in they were working on something in the lobby so between hammer blows we checked-in. The property still takes reservations on an old style appointment book no computers or printed receipts other than a credit card slip in sight. The rooms still all use old metal keys so don't lose them or someone has access to your room. The room we were given was upstairs which was great for a view of the Bay. However, the view of the room was awful ; incredibly stained disgusting carpet, broken glass table topper, heater falling off wall, no lock on sliding patio door, clock radio dusty and inoperable, cigarette burned, torn bed cover, bathroom with my grandmas 80's vinyl floor and enough caulking around the tub and tub enclosure that the caulking manufacture must give them a royalty check. I will have to say that the people currently in charge are nice folks they just don't know how to professionally run a motel. You don't whisper amongst yourselves at the desk while people are 3 feet away having breakfast or, smoke and shoot the breeze 15 feet from the front door of a supposed smoke free property let alone leave tools and your kids toys in the lobby. I think someone in this group needs to go over to the local community college and take some hospitality and or hotel management courses. Best of all would be to shut down for 6-8 months and redo the whole place. The location is great the property is a dump.

Room Tip: upstairs on the end facing the bay
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cjarr6250
BeachcomberNardone, Manager at Beachcomber Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Greetings!

Thank you so much for your honesty. I appreciate the feedback. To address some of the issues, we are in the process of renovations. My husband and I took over management about 8 weeks ago, there are many things to be done to make this place what it once was. We do offer non smoking rooms, and we do have many guests that do smoke and have asked them to smoke in the area so it does not go into the rooms of the other guests. I do sincerely apologize that it was bothersome. Whispering among staff was not to be rude, it was a discussion of the game plan for the day. All of our renovations have a very short window of 11-4. We are really putting forth a great effort to get the rest of the carpets done, 75% of them have been cleaned. The room that you were in is the next on our list. Every guest we have stay enjoy that room. I appreciate your feedback and have taken into consideration all of your complaints. We have such a beautiful and large project to complete and we are so excited about the future of The Beachcomber. Thank you.
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We were sadly disappointed in the state of deterioration of accommodations at the Beachcomber.
Once a cozy place is now shoddily maintained. The new employees are struggling against an employer who seems clueless as to what is happening at his property. Even some of the staff openly grumbled at the lack of interest and investment by the owner. Cleanliness in poor. New management is definitely needed. Only the great location remains!

Room Tip: At this stage, look at the room; check for cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple