“shoddy place/great location”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Redding, California
“shoddy place/great location”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We have stayed at the Deer Haven many times over the years. The place was not being kept up and then it sold last summer. Just stayed recently and they are remodeling, getting new decor, etc. The new owner is trying but it also seems like they are cutting corners. New tile but used toilet. Old, raggedy towels. We had no heat the first night. There was also no smoke detector, nor carbon in the room. That concerned us because they have gas fireplaces in the rooms. We did tell the front desk. They next day they did install a cheap used one. The location is great. Just make sure you are ok with "no frills" because the place is more like "glamping".

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank beachkids8511
RPandJustin, Front Office Manager at Deer Haven Inn, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Let us thank you for your review. The team would like to apologize if your experience was less than exceptional. After intense renovation and change, we are very satisfied with the outcome. Our rooms look even better! We hope we can get another opportunity to have you back as our guest. Check out our website for more details! Thanks again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed in a king bed room. We stayed in room 106. The room has nice wood floors and a new mattress. There is a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The fire place was a little difficult to use.

• Stayed April 2012
RPandJustin, General Manager at Deer Haven Inn, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thanks for your feedback! The team is grateful to hear that you had a great experience. The fireplace can be tricky but thanks to our renovations, we have not had a problem. We hope we can show you another good time in the future!
Richmond, California
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Strangely enough, the Deer Haven Inn lived up to all the bad and good reviews written on this site. If I could I would give an overall rating of 2.5 circles.

The Bad:

*Outdated furniture
*Scary Bedspread (cleanliness was questionable)
*Even more terrifying carpeting, old and stained, so much so, that other reviewers were afraid to remove their shoes. I, myself, never walked on it with socks or my bare feet (thank goodness for flip flops)
*Daily housekeeping did not include daily vacuuming of said carpet
*Extremely moody wi-fi, I was only able to get one internet session in, all other attempts at logging in using the provided password failed
*Mediocre bath towels

The Good:

*Location, quiet and peaceful neighborhood
*New owners were very personable
*Deer were seen near the property
*Fully functioning gas fireplace
*Although the cleanliness of the bedspread was questionable, the linens underneath and for the pillows were crisp and clean
*Good water pressure in shower, water got hot quickly

There was a change in ownership and the new owners are working on improving the property, so there's hope that things will get better. I did not try the daily breakfast so I can't comment on it. Also, based on other reviews, it seems that some rooms may have already been renovated and I just got room that was not.

Do you know how some hotel rooms feel nice, confortable and inviting? This was not such a room. But for the price I paid, I was not unhappy with my stay . . . just not eager to return after spending time outside exploring. I might return, but not until I know that the entire property is renovated.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Bay_Arean2
Thank you so much for your critical feedback. At Deer Haven Inn, our goal is to provide each guest with a pleasant experience. We apologize if the room, housekeeping and wifi were not to your standards. After intense renovation and change, we are excited about the outcome. We hope we can get another opportunity to showcase our rooms . The team is thankful for your comments. It will be addressed accordingly.
Jackson, California
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We have stayed at the DeerHaven Inn for the past several years at Thanksgiving and this summer we were called by the new owners who were renovating and they put us in what they called a room with a a full kitchen and living room. it was awful! T
There was no table, a tiny apartment sized stove that barely held the turkey, one chair in the "living room" and overall a very tiny inadequate replacement for the spacious 2 bedroom suite that we had made reservations for that week. It was impossible to get anything else and I would not recommend this place. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, there was nothing in the way of kitchen equipment and we were stuck!

Room Tip: Don't stay here,
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MJay_12
Quincy, California
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I booked 1 night at the Deer Haven Inn via a hotel booking service for $69 on Nov 30th 2011. Upon arrival i was greeted very warmly by Roshan the receptionist/manager. Exteremely efficient, friendly and professional. Nothing was too much trouble. Very helpful as regards information for local sightseeing and services. The room was immaculately clean, very warm(excellent gas fire) and well stocked with towels etc. Large and very comfortable bed. Roshan assured me that the hotel and surrounding area was quiet as i was interested in sleeping in late. It was very quiet! and i got a really good nights rest. I enjoyed my stay so much i adjusted my travel plans and stayed a second night for $59. For the price, faultless. I would recommend this hotel to my mother-in-law!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Thank you much for your positive feedback! At Deer Haven Inn, our goal is to amaze each guest. We hope we get another opportunity to have you back . Lots of changes have been made. After much renovation, our place looks great. We get a lot of good comments on how quiet and comfortable the area is. Thanks again for the AWESOME review
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I just spent 3 nights at the Deer Haven Inn and it was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable stays I've had in a long time. The bed was VERY comfortable and the room/property location in a quiet and scenic residential neighborhood made for great sleeping and relaxing. Just staying at this place makes me want to move to this location when I retire (if I win Mega Millions some day).

As for amenities, I really liked having a fireplace, refrigerator and microwave in my room. I especially liked having a free wi-fi internet connection in my room! This place is definitely one that I will return to when I want to totally relax and fully recharge my batteries!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Stan T
Thank you so much for your awesome feedback, At Deer Haven Inn, our goal is to make sure every guest has an exceptional experience. We have gone under intense renovations and change. We look forward to having you back as our guest. Our rooms look even better! By the way, how you doing on the mega million lotto?
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is a great place for families to stay! The kitchen was nice, and we enjoyed the living area. The TV is on the smaller side. The bedrooms are a nice size. Breakfast is provided in the lobby office ... pastries, cereal, fruit, coffee, teas, and juice. Great value!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family