“Do not stay here its a dump”

Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed here in a king room. Keep in mind the cottages are different then the lodge.The cottages are where the rich stay and we peasants have to stay at the lodge property acorss the street. The lodge property is a dump. Its a neglected falling down old 70's motel. Holes in the bathroom floor, dirty bathroom ,toliet did not work right, faucet on the bathroom sink broken, carpet was so bad I was afraid to take off my shoes. Microwave was a danger and obviously in need of repair. WHen I complained they acted as if I was the problem and not their filthy broken down rooms. They moved me to another room but with a nasty attitude about it. The next room was worse, I stripped the bed just in case of bed bugs as the comforter was, well let me just say, disgusting! The 2nd room was not clean either and had a excessively loud party next door going on until 3 am that they did nothing about. In the breakast they used obviously old food gone bad & past its expiration as I had the trots all day and that was all I ate. A miserable stay. Save yourself and go elsewhere. The only good quality is its walking distance to the beach, lighthouse and for fitness buffs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Harmony G

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I will start by saying that I had stayed at this property back in the mid 1990's, and found it then to be satisfactory at best. Years later, I decided to give it another chance after getting a great deal for the cottages on a third party broker.
This property is divided into two locations. There is the "lodge", which is a two story motel where the office, pool and hot tub are located. It backs up to the PG cemetery, where deer graze on a regular basis. Some rooms may have a snippet of ocean view, being located ~2 blocks from the ocean. It is my understanding that those staying on the lodge side get breakfast and a bbq dinner as part of their stay. I would recommend this side for families with children, as the pool is right there, and you could literally stay and have dinner if you are trying to watch funds. I understand that these rooms have been updated since my stays back in the 90's, but I can only comment on the Cottages.

The Cottage property is located across the street and down a bit from the lodge/office property. This side used to be called "suites", and some of the third party booking agencies still call these rooms "suites". We stayed in a king suite with fireplace, jetted tub. Our suite windows looked out on Asilomar drive, giving us a snippet of ocean view. The tub worked fine, there were down pillows that were awesome, and the bed was super comfy, which is very important to me. The room was clean, and everything worked fine. No, it is not the Ritz Carlton, but the comfort factor is here. Lots of room in this suite, and was NOT noisy at all. After staying at various NICE B&Bs in downtown PG, it was a RELIEF not to have the constant road noise. A generous wine reception is held from 4:30-6pm, with decent wine, and nice appetizers. Weather permitting, there is a deck with fire pits, which is very nice. In the morning, you order hot breakfast from a menu in dining room area (large, cozy with two fireplaces). Breakfast was very good- eggs benedict, denver omelet, and self serve fruit, oatmeal, bagels.. Was ~$20-30 value for two.

This literally a 3-5 min walk to the PG golf course and Point Pinos Lighthouse. About a 5-7 min walk to the ocean. Very peaceful location. The only inconvenience would be if you wanted to use the hot tub or pool, you have to cross the street and walk up a few minutes to get to the other property. Also, no DVD or VHS player in our room, which would have been nice. But I would definitely stay here again for the location, quiet, comfy beds, and overall value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with deck or windows facing direction of the ocean. IMO, cottages better for adults...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review!! We appriciate guest who have noticed the many changes and updates that we have made to the property in recent months. We hope to see you back again soon and thank you for being such a loyal guest!

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Close to the beach for beautiful sunsets. These cottages are cute and the food served is great, they provide 2 meals a day included just about 4 minutes from the Wharf and cannery Row.
Loved it! Would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: much cheaper on travelocity
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I don't have any complaints about this property. We stayed in a suit across the road from the main buildings. The property was clean. The rooms were clean. Breakfast was a very nice inclusion. I liked that each suite had a fridge - we went to Trader Joe's a few minutes up the road and got some snacks. The contact we had with the staff was minimal but everyone was pleasant.

Its not a five star hotel. Its a slightly upgraded Best Western. I had a perfectly lovely time but I could see how some people might have been expecting more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shira P
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I found this place from a recommendation on The Big Sur Half Marathon website. They offered a 10% discount on a Jr. Suite, but even with the discount it still wasn't that great of a deal, especially after seeing its condition. The carpet, upholstery and furniture were old and dingy but that wasn't the deal breaker.

The night before the race, I went to bed quite early thinking I would get a peaceful night's rest before waking up at 5am. Oh man, was I wrong about that! Right after I began drifting away into slumber, I was harshly woken up by a loud incessant banging and vibrating coming from the plumbing. This lasted for a good hour, I even tried putting in ear plugs to no avail. I called the front desk and they said they would "send someone right over" which they never did. Somehow, turning the faucets in our room on and off seemed to make the racket stop temporarily but as soon as another room would use the faucets in their room, it would start again. By the time it stopped for good, I was already wide awake, full of angst and couldn't fall asleep again for hours, causing me to be in really bad shape for the half marathon in the morning. After the race, I just wanted to take a nice hot shower to soothe my aching muscles but was disappointed again when the water started sputtering out of the shower head, I ended up taking a bath instead. At least the jacuzzi bath was working! Needless to say, I needed a good night's sleep after exerting myself in the race and having had the horrible experience the night before but was woken up once again by the "water jackhammer" coming from the bathroom. I called the front desk again in the morning voicing my opinion that this was unacceptable and demanding some kind of response and/or refund. The woman asked if I had been offered another room (the answer was 'no'), said she couldn't make any "rash decisions" and needed to consult with the manager. The only thing that saved them from getting just 1-star was that the manager did refund me $100 from my bill and the breakfast was somewhat decent. It was the least they could do for putting me through such a disturbing ordeal on such an important weekend. I advised them not to give anyone else that room until they fix the plumbing. Ironically, I just read that someone else had given the same warning about room 313.

p.s. another low was when I found a pill bug crawling through the bathroom. yuck!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank djicon
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear djicon- As with all reviews on TripAdvisor, we appriciate you taking the time to make the review. It is my deepest apology that you stay here at Lighthouse Lodge and Cottages was not a pleasent one. Many of our reviews mention the "jackhammer" sound that can be heard on occasion in a few of our Cottage rooms. This is a porblem with many local hotels in the area, as it is caused by our location in relation to where the water comes (we are at the bottom of the hill), at the PG Water system in general, as it has not been updated. There may also be a coorlation with the time of year as well, as this sound is more prevalent this time of year. We are working with the City of PG to update the water system, and hope that you will return and have a better experience.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

My family and I took a last-minute staycation to Monterey this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with this property. I read that it may have been a Best Western which I could totally see. It definitely is an older property with single paned windows and 70s style doors. But, it has been remodeled and was well worth the price for the location.

LOCATION: Right off Asilomar and Lighthouse, it backs into a local cemetary. My family and I did not mind at all, it made for a very quiet stay. We were in the Lodge. The Cottages were across the street and looked even more upgraded. We had no street noise, and there were only a few cars in the parking lot facing the front of the building. We even saw deer in the cemetary! It was literally a 2 minute drive to the beach, free parking in the lot.

ROOM: Large-sized room with 2 double beds, we asked for a free rollaway. The beds and mattresses were new, as was the carpet. There was a new coat of paint on the walls and new toilet and shower. Pretty clean. We were on the ground floor, a little lower than street level which made the room a little dark. But there was adequate lighting to supplement. Also, there was an old wall heater that worked well, blowing hot air into the room, but we didn't need it at night.

AMENITIES: There was a nice little BBQ for early dinner with burgers, hot dogs, basic salad, chips and cookies, perfect for children. May not be enough for adults, but it saved us time and cost of a meal. The breakfast was also good, with home-cooked scrambled eggs, bread, oatmeal and cereal.

ROOM SERVICE: I asked for extra blankets, which came very quickly. I noticed the staff starting to clean the rooms at 8 or 9am.

I would definitely stay here again for the price of $119/nt we paid!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bay_Area_native85

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here at Lighthosue Lodge and Cottages in one of our Lodge Double-Double rooms! We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 12 November 2012

After reading some of the reviews we almost stayed at the Hyatt but my husband was playing in a tournament at Pacific Grove Golf Course on Sunday so we decided to think positive and take a chance. I am so glad we did. We checked in without a problem and found our room to be above our expectation. Very nice.

We actually ended up with two extra children (friends had to travel) and still had plenty of room in the Deluxe Cottage. Two in the sofabed and my son on an inflatable with a sleeping bag. Did have trouble with the T.V. in the living room and they finally had to bring us another T.V. Comped us the better of the two wifi options for our trouble. Maintenance guy was wonderful and personable as he tried to trouble shoot and replace the card on the T.V. I wasn't put out at all because I was so pleased with the room itself.

Kids had never experienced the jetted tub 'treatment' and one by one each had their special 'spa bath'. High end toiletries added to their relaxation. (hint...made bedtime so much easier)

The clubhouse was rented out for the evening but they brought the wine and cheese party out to the ocean deck and lit the firepits. Nice spread which really helped to bridge us over until dinner. Cookies and Hot Chocolate too which we brought to our room for movie time.

The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. Biggest surprise of all was the made to order breakfast! Delicious and served quickly despite the filled room. Have the Eggs Benedict!

Hubby left early in the car but we were able to quite comfortably walk to the golf course while taking pictures of the young deer which populate the cemetary and golf course.

Tip: Buy your tickets for the aquarium at the front desk. They are less expensive and good for 2 days. Also you get to use member entrance and skip the line!!!

All of the staff were pleasant and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Thank you LHLC!!!

#8 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Peninsula Inn
Monterey Peninsula Inn
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!