“Perfect spot”

Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite hotel in pacific grove. I travel there quite frequently and have stayed at two other places, but once I found this one I return here every year. Our room was updated and big. We had a living room and a bedroom. There was a stain on the carpet I mentioned to staff, and they mentioned how they are under the process of renovating, totally understandable. Pacific grove is a rustic area and compared to the other hotels around the area it looks the nicest. The food was amazing for breakfast, best breakfast I have had at any hotel. The location is perfect to walk to town or to the ocean. I feel very at home while I am here. Can't wait to vacation there again soon.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Nickelback76
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review!! Make sure to like us on Facebook to recieve updates on sales and event that may be helpful for your next visit!!!

There are newer reviews for Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This review is for the Lodge side, the only part that accepts pets. My husband and I like to travel with our dog ~ a Shepard/Rottweiler/Lab mix named Mulligan. Seldom do we all get all of our wishes in one room. This time was no exception. The King size room did have a nice fireplace (My desire), it did accept pets (Mulligan's wish) but the cable TV and the bathroom size were underwhelming (my Hubby's hope). The room was clean with sliding glass doors that opened onto a fire escape sized deck overlooking the parking lot. At check in the staff was friendly and organized, but when it came to ordering the "Room Service" advertised in the room, it simply did not exist.The bathroom as stated was tiny. I could not close the door of the room with the sink, toilet, and tub without putting at least one foot into said tub. The evening BBQ was hotdogs and hamburgers (good for kids, but not for us) and the breakfast on the lodge side was typical of a "Best Western" sort of "buffet" (Formica tables, paper napkins, make your own toast, help yur'self). The cable TV was basic with movies you could purchase, but no premium channels offered. We did walk over to the Cottages side, and peaked into the Breakfast;WOW! linen on the tables, wait service,and a lovely room. All in all I would have LOVED to stay in one of the cottages, but with a dog, ya can't have it all. The room was worth what we paid for it, but for our next trip I think I'll keep looking for the "Trifecta" of all our wishes".

Room Tip: If you're traveling with out a pet choose the cottages.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

While we do have two seperate properties that offer a different ambiance, we do allow all of our Lodge guest to upgrade to the Cottage Chef Prepared breakfast or afternoon wine and appitizer reception for a fee. Guest are not stuck to partaking in one properties meal options if they would prefer the other properties options. Also, as we do pride ourselves on being pet friendly on the lodge, we also pride ourselves on be able to offer rooms to guest who have pet allergies, and guarentee them a room that has not had any pets.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed here in a king room. Keep in mind the cottages are different then the lodge.The cottages are where the rich stay and we peasants have to stay at the lodge property acorss the street. The lodge property is a dump. Its a neglected falling down old 70's motel. Holes in the bathroom floor, dirty bathroom ,toliet did not work right, faucet on the bathroom sink broken, carpet was so bad I was afraid to take off my shoes. Microwave was a danger and obviously in need of repair. WHen I complained they acted as if I was the problem and not their filthy broken down rooms. They moved me to another room but with a nasty attitude about it. The next room was worse, I stripped the bed just in case of bed bugs as the comforter was, well let me just say, disgusting! The 2nd room was not clean either and had a excessively loud party next door going on until 3 am that they did nothing about. In the breakast they used obviously old food gone bad & past its expiration as I had the trots all day and that was all I ate. A miserable stay. Save yourself and go elsewhere. The only good quality is its walking distance to the beach, lighthouse and for fitness buffs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Harmony G
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I will start by saying that I had stayed at this property back in the mid 1990's, and found it then to be satisfactory at best. Years later, I decided to give it another chance after getting a great deal for the cottages on a third party broker.
This property is divided into two locations. There is the "lodge", which is a two story motel where the office, pool and hot tub are located. It backs up to the PG cemetery, where deer graze on a regular basis. Some rooms may have a snippet of ocean view, being located ~2 blocks from the ocean. It is my understanding that those staying on the lodge side get breakfast and a bbq dinner as part of their stay. I would recommend this side for families with children, as the pool is right there, and you could literally stay and have dinner if you are trying to watch funds. I understand that these rooms have been updated since my stays back in the 90's, but I can only comment on the Cottages.

The Cottage property is located across the street and down a bit from the lodge/office property. This side used to be called "suites", and some of the third party booking agencies still call these rooms "suites". We stayed in a king suite with fireplace, jetted tub. Our suite windows looked out on Asilomar drive, giving us a snippet of ocean view. The tub worked fine, there were down pillows that were awesome, and the bed was super comfy, which is very important to me. The room was clean, and everything worked fine. No, it is not the Ritz Carlton, but the comfort factor is here. Lots of room in this suite, and was NOT noisy at all. After staying at various NICE B&Bs in downtown PG, it was a RELIEF not to have the constant road noise. A generous wine reception is held from 4:30-6pm, with decent wine, and nice appetizers. Weather permitting, there is a deck with fire pits, which is very nice. In the morning, you order hot breakfast from a menu in dining room area (large, cozy with two fireplaces). Breakfast was very good- eggs benedict, denver omelet, and self serve fruit, oatmeal, bagels.. Was ~$20-30 value for two.

This literally a 3-5 min walk to the PG golf course and Point Pinos Lighthouse. About a 5-7 min walk to the ocean. Very peaceful location. The only inconvenience would be if you wanted to use the hot tub or pool, you have to cross the street and walk up a few minutes to get to the other property. Also, no DVD or VHS player in our room, which would have been nice. But I would definitely stay here again for the location, quiet, comfy beds, and overall value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with deck or windows facing direction of the ocean. IMO, cottages better for adults...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review!! We appriciate guest who have noticed the many changes and updates that we have made to the property in recent months. We hope to see you back again soon and thank you for being such a loyal guest!

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Close to the beach for beautiful sunsets. These cottages are cute and the food served is great, they provide 2 meals a day included just about 4 minutes from the Wharf and cannery Row.
Loved it! Would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: much cheaper on travelocity
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I don't have any complaints about this property. We stayed in a suit across the road from the main buildings. The property was clean. The rooms were clean. Breakfast was a very nice inclusion. I liked that each suite had a fridge - we went to Trader Joe's a few minutes up the road and got some snacks. The contact we had with the staff was minimal but everyone was pleasant.

Its not a five star hotel. Its a slightly upgraded Best Western. I had a perfectly lovely time but I could see how some people might have been expecting more.

1  Thank Shira P
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I found this place from a recommendation on The Big Sur Half Marathon website. They offered a 10% discount on a Jr. Suite, but even with the discount it still wasn't that great of a deal, especially after seeing its condition. The carpet, upholstery and furniture were old and dingy but that wasn't the deal breaker.

The night before the race, I went to bed quite early thinking I would get a peaceful night's rest before waking up at 5am. Oh man, was I wrong about that! Right after I began drifting away into slumber, I was harshly woken up by a loud incessant banging and vibrating coming from the plumbing. This lasted for a good hour, I even tried putting in ear plugs to no avail. I called the front desk and they said they would "send someone right over" which they never did. Somehow, turning the faucets in our room on and off seemed to make the racket stop temporarily but as soon as another room would use the faucets in their room, it would start again. By the time it stopped for good, I was already wide awake, full of angst and couldn't fall asleep again for hours, causing me to be in really bad shape for the half marathon in the morning. After the race, I just wanted to take a nice hot shower to soothe my aching muscles but was disappointed again when the water started sputtering out of the shower head, I ended up taking a bath instead. At least the jacuzzi bath was working! Needless to say, I needed a good night's sleep after exerting myself in the race and having had the horrible experience the night before but was woken up once again by the "water jackhammer" coming from the bathroom. I called the front desk again in the morning voicing my opinion that this was unacceptable and demanding some kind of response and/or refund. The woman asked if I had been offered another room (the answer was 'no'), said she couldn't make any "rash decisions" and needed to consult with the manager. The only thing that saved them from getting just 1-star was that the manager did refund me $100 from my bill and the breakfast was somewhat decent. It was the least they could do for putting me through such a disturbing ordeal on such an important weekend. I advised them not to give anyone else that room until they fix the plumbing. Ironically, I just read that someone else had given the same warning about room 313.

p.s. another low was when I found a pill bug crawling through the bathroom. yuck!

2  Thank djicon
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear djicon- As with all reviews on TripAdvisor, we appriciate you taking the time to make the review. It is my deepest apology that you stay here at Lighthouse Lodge and Cottages was not a pleasent one. Many of our reviews mention the "jackhammer" sound that can be heard on occasion in a few of our Cottage rooms. This is a porblem with many local hotels in the area, as it is caused by our location in relation to where the water comes (we are at the bottom of the hill), at the PG Water system in general, as it has not been updated. There may also be a coorlation with the time of year as well, as this sound is more prevalent this time of year. We are working with the City of PG to update the water system, and hope that you will return and have a better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
#8 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Peninsula Inn
Monterey Peninsula Inn
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!