“Great location in Pacific Grove for an aging hotel”

Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Califonia
“Great location in Pacific Grove for an aging hotel”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This propery is super close to the beach, lighthouse and monarch butterfly sanctuary. Really a great location. Our room was just okay, your average hotel room with a view of the parking lot. We paid extra for a fireplace that did not function, we mentioned it to the front desk, who said they would get it fixed, they did not. Upon check-out they gave us the rate for a non-fireplace room. The room was dark, furniture arrangement was awkward, and there was an odd spell. The continental breakfast was just your usual unappetizing fare, in a small crowded room. We didn't eat there our second morning. We have decided we would not stay here on our next trip, there are too many better options for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLCManager, Public Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not everything that you expected. We hope that you will come and stay with is again in out Cottage Rooms, which are entirely updated and come with jacuzzi tubs and chef made breakfast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
California
Reviewed 22 January 2013

REVIEW OF SUITES (not lodge side)

Pros:
Very close to beach (10 minute walk)
Great jacuzzi bathtub
Mini kitchen
Free afternoon appetizers and wine (take advantage of this!)
Free (real) breakfast (take advantage of this!)
Great fire pits in courtyard
WiFi $3.99 a day

Can't say much negative about this place. Don't know what the lodge side is like but the suites are great, especially if you can get one at a discounted price.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Whisk-Chef
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review!! We have great news!!! Our wireless internet has recently been upgraded and is now offerd complimentry for our guests!! We also have high-speed interet avaliable for a fee for our guest who may require high-speed.
Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite hotel in pacific grove. I travel there quite frequently and have stayed at two other places, but once I found this one I return here every year. Our room was updated and big. We had a living room and a bedroom. There was a stain on the carpet I mentioned to staff, and they mentioned how they are under the process of renovating, totally understandable. Pacific grove is a rustic area and compared to the other hotels around the area it looks the nicest. The food was amazing for breakfast, best breakfast I have had at any hotel. The location is perfect to walk to town or to the ocean. I feel very at home while I am here. Can't wait to vacation there again soon.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Nickelback76
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review!! Make sure to like us on Facebook to recieve updates on sales and event that may be helpful for your next visit!!!
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This review is for the Lodge side, the only part that accepts pets. My husband and I like to travel with our dog ~ a Shepard/Rottweiler/Lab mix named Mulligan. Seldom do we all get all of our wishes in one room. This time was no exception. The King size room did have a nice fireplace (My desire), it did accept pets (Mulligan's wish) but the cable TV and the bathroom size were underwhelming (my Hubby's hope). The room was clean with sliding glass doors that opened onto a fire escape sized deck overlooking the parking lot. At check in the staff was friendly and organized, but when it came to ordering the "Room Service" advertised in the room, it simply did not exist.The bathroom as stated was tiny. I could not close the door of the room with the sink, toilet, and tub without putting at least one foot into said tub. The evening BBQ was hotdogs and hamburgers (good for kids, but not for us) and the breakfast on the lodge side was typical of a "Best Western" sort of "buffet" (Formica tables, paper napkins, make your own toast, help yur'self). The cable TV was basic with movies you could purchase, but no premium channels offered. We did walk over to the Cottages side, and peaked into the Breakfast;WOW! linen on the tables, wait service,and a lovely room. All in all I would have LOVED to stay in one of the cottages, but with a dog, ya can't have it all. The room was worth what we paid for it, but for our next trip I think I'll keep looking for the "Trifecta" of all our wishes".

Room Tip: If you're traveling with out a pet choose the cottages.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
While we do have two seperate properties that offer a different ambiance, we do allow all of our Lodge guest to upgrade to the Cottage Chef Prepared breakfast or afternoon wine and appitizer reception for a fee. Guest are not stuck to partaking in one properties meal options if they would prefer the other properties options. Also, as we do pride ourselves on being pet friendly on the lodge, we also pride ourselves on be able to offer rooms to guest who have pet allergies, and guarentee them a room that has not had any pets.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed here in a king room. Keep in mind the cottages are different then the lodge.The cottages are where the rich stay and we peasants have to stay at the lodge property acorss the street. The lodge property is a dump. Its a neglected falling down old 70's motel. Holes in the bathroom floor, dirty bathroom ,toliet did not work right, faucet on the bathroom sink broken, carpet was so bad I was afraid to take off my shoes. Microwave was a danger and obviously in need of repair. WHen I complained they acted as if I was the problem and not their filthy broken down rooms. They moved me to another room but with a nasty attitude about it. The next room was worse, I stripped the bed just in case of bed bugs as the comforter was, well let me just say, disgusting! The 2nd room was not clean either and had a excessively loud party next door going on until 3 am that they did nothing about. In the breakast they used obviously old food gone bad & past its expiration as I had the trots all day and that was all I ate. A miserable stay. Save yourself and go elsewhere. The only good quality is its walking distance to the beach, lighthouse and for fitness buffs.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Harmony G

Travellers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I will start by saying that I had stayed at this property back in the mid 1990's, and found it then to be satisfactory at best. Years later, I decided to give it another chance after getting a great deal for the cottages on a third party broker.
This property is divided into two locations. There is the "lodge", which is a two story motel where the office, pool and hot tub are located. It backs up to the PG cemetery, where deer graze on a regular basis. Some rooms may have a snippet of ocean view, being located ~2 blocks from the ocean. It is my understanding that those staying on the lodge side get breakfast and a bbq dinner as part of their stay. I would recommend this side for families with children, as the pool is right there, and you could literally stay and have dinner if you are trying to watch funds. I understand that these rooms have been updated since my stays back in the 90's, but I can only comment on the Cottages.

The Cottage property is located across the street and down a bit from the lodge/office property. This side used to be called "suites", and some of the third party booking agencies still call these rooms "suites". We stayed in a king suite with fireplace, jetted tub. Our suite windows looked out on Asilomar drive, giving us a snippet of ocean view. The tub worked fine, there were down pillows that were awesome, and the bed was super comfy, which is very important to me. The room was clean, and everything worked fine. No, it is not the Ritz Carlton, but the comfort factor is here. Lots of room in this suite, and was NOT noisy at all. After staying at various NICE B&Bs in downtown PG, it was a RELIEF not to have the constant road noise. A generous wine reception is held from 4:30-6pm, with decent wine, and nice appetizers. Weather permitting, there is a deck with fire pits, which is very nice. In the morning, you order hot breakfast from a menu in dining room area (large, cozy with two fireplaces). Breakfast was very good- eggs benedict, denver omelet, and self serve fruit, oatmeal, bagels.. Was ~$20-30 value for two.

This literally a 3-5 min walk to the PG golf course and Point Pinos Lighthouse. About a 5-7 min walk to the ocean. Very peaceful location. The only inconvenience would be if you wanted to use the hot tub or pool, you have to cross the street and walk up a few minutes to get to the other property. Also, no DVD or VHS player in our room, which would have been nice. But I would definitely stay here again for the location, quiet, comfy beds, and overall value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with deck or windows facing direction of the ocean. IMO, cottages better for adults...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review!! We appriciate guest who have noticed the many changes and updates that we have made to the property in recent months. We hope to see you back again soon and thank you for being such a loyal guest!
alma, mi
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Close to the beach for beautiful sunsets. These cottages are cute and the food served is great, they provide 2 meals a day included just about 4 minutes from the Wharf and cannery Row.
Loved it! Would recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: much cheaper on travelocity
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!