“Great location, not great rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages

Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
“Great location, not great rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My family (me, husband and 3 small kids) and I stayed here this past weekend. We were with two other families. We rented a junior cottage, which was the biggest I could get without springing for the $900/night house. Let's just start by saying it wasn't a cottage. It was a large hotel room with a partition. The room was very clean but the furnishings were dated. The light switches didn't correspond to the fixtures they were near and I had to call the front desk so they could walk me through the sequence of switches to turn on the dimmers in the bedroom. The bathtub (an old jacuzzi tub) leaked and there was damage to the wall. The mini kitchen consisted of a bar sink, a small microwave and a mini fridge. We were unable to use the freezer section of the fridge because the door was gone.

The good news is the location is excellent. A block from the ocean and near a neat lighthouse. You can walk to downtown or the tide pools. We enjoyed the daily morning complimentary breakfast too. That was definitely a plus. The scenery is beautiful and the grounds of the hotel are nice. We used the pool a couple times which our kids enjoyed. We were told there is new management as of a couple weeks ago. I hope they do some needed repairs and updating. This could be a real treasure.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank mamalisa77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Lafayette, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

My friend booked this room over the phone and was told that the cottages were recommended over the rooms because they " were all renovated". Going online and checking out the hotels website, it certainly seemed that was the case. Then we get there. NOT renovated .... Unless a TV from 1999, grungy carpeting and dark wood paneling is renovated. Our bathroom window was broken and there was dog poop in our " private" patio area which was basically a plastic chair outside the rear sliding door. The best part was the fire pit on the common patio - except late at night, when people were still partying right outside our door - Room 306. The provided breakfast is not " chef" prepared - I witnessed half the food put on the plate pre-made. This is an adequate place to bring the family, just don't have any illusions that it is a luxury property.

Room Tip: This property does not have an ocean view from the cottage rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank marilynmoha
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I rented a cottage with a king size bed and fold out couch bed. It had a jet bubble tub,wet bar,fridge,high vaulted cieling,fireplace and large closet. The reviews were initially bad but reflected a time before it changed ownership in 2012. It recently changed ownership again in June 2013. The cottage rental included a chef prepared breakfast with many choices on how it can be prepared and wine with horderves in the evening. The service desk was very helpful and accommodating. Nice pool area and jacuzzi but you had to walk across the street to the lodge rental area to access it but it did have showers in the bathrooms there to rinse off. You could see the beach from my room and could walk or bike along a trail there. This place was half the price of what I have been paying for 5 years at a high end hotel on Munras street without the amenities. I definitely recommend this place and now have a new favorite getaway.

Room Tip: Choose the cottage's. I read alot of the reviews and went with the better package. The Cottage...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mitzlem
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I advise anyone considering to stay here to be sure you read the correct reviews. Cottages are different than the lodge! They are separate and all pictures on the website seem to be of cottages. We were in 167. This must have been the smallest unit. The room was very small and the carpet was dirty. The mattress may have been never, however the linens didn't fit the bed and the two pillows were very used, no fluff. We asked for additional pillows and they had to take the from another unit. For the price charged I would recommend a different hotel. The pool has been redone and was nice however there were only three lounge chairs that looked like a Walmart purchase not commercial and not sufficient for 95 units. We were told there was a nightly barbecue that was canceled by the recent new owner without any notification to those that had reserved prior. The breakfast was limited and disappointing from description.
We won't be back here.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Octraveler20

Travellers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

The rooms in the cottages are quite big - with private bathroom, fridge, coffee making machine, artificial fire place, and balcony.
Style is - classical American I would say :) pretty dark rooms, big beds, that are actually comfortable.
It was clean and everything worked well during my stay there.

Yes, the view of some cottages are to the cemetry, which seemed odd at first, but then it was ok.
And if you sleep with your balcony open you can hear the breaking waves of the ocean at night.

A lot of wild animal life around. Which I like.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

The really bad side they need to improve is their breakfast and dinner! Terrible! Don't even try to eat there unless you are a junk food eating person who doesn't care what he puts in his stomach, just wants to grow weight.. We only had one dinner and breakfast in the lodge, where it was better quality and choice and in the cottages... The rest were offered in the cottages and as I said it was terrible. We also tried ordering lunch from the front desk - a big mistake too... We just stopped eating there and bought our own food or went out for dinners.

I also had problems drinking their tap water, so had to buy bottled water...

If I was on a business trip again, it's ok, I might stay there again, if I was looking for a vacation rental I am sure I would be looking for a bit different place. But if you just want to get away and stay alone with yourself, it might also be a quite good choice.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Vwanderer
Turlock, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Room was old and musty smelling. Carpet extremely dirty and bed spread dirty dingy and old,. Sliding glass door was one pane as you could see the second pane had been broken and the broken glass remained in the edges all along the door AND the patio door broken glass was left all over the patio. When we booked our room 1 week in advance, we were told that it included daily breakfast and a daily BBQ dinner. To our surprise we checked in and was told new management took over three days ago and discontinued the BBQ dinner. However, we were charged the same price and were merely told, sorry. I would not recommend this place to anyone, save your money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank SwimMomKL
Santa Barbara, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

My wife and I stayed in a junior suite cottage. The room was clean and spacious. The king size bed was comfortable and the spa tub was very relaxing. The sofa and chair were nice, but could be updated. The complimentary breakfast was tasty and convenient. The wine reception is a nice way to relax after sightseeing all day. Very good service from the friendly staff.
It's in a beautiful location a short walk from the beach. There are deer everywhere. The cottages are located across and down the street from the lodge. We didn't mind the short walk to the pool and hot tub.
There is a great Asian restaurant a half a block up Lighthouse Ave called An Choi. We loved it so much, we ate there 3 nights in a row. You must try it!!

Room Tip: I think the cottages would be better for couples. It's quieter across the street away from any p...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!