“Will recommend and probably will return”
Review of Monarch Resort

Monarch Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Modesto, California
“Will recommend and probably will return”
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We've been to Monterey before and love it, and even stayed in a fancy boutique hotel, which was wonderful. Unfortunately, our budget doesn't allow us to stay in the boutique hotels ever time, so enter Best Western.

It's location is easily accessible. The staff was sweet and wonderful; they went out of their way for us. The property is dated but charming in its own way, and well kept and clean. The rooms, the same way. No great view, but a clean room and bathroom, decent enough beds, a fireplace and a little balcony. For the money, totally worth it.

One con was that I actually shut an exterior door one night; it had been propped open and evidently forgotten about.

Other than that, though, nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Located only a few blocks from the main shopping and dining strip in Pacific Grove, the Monarch Resort is still wonderfully secluded. We had booked the hotel for a romantic getaway in the Monterey area and boy did we get more than our moneys worth!

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and we found ourselves checked in and on our way to our room in only a few minutes. They were always ready to offer assistance and advice, without intruding on our privacy.

The room, a queen fireplace, was located on the second floor just at the top of the stairs from the front desk. What a beautiful room it was! The private balcony overlooked the pool and spa, and the fireplace was ready for us to light it as soon as we arrived, even though we didn't use it until our second night.

The resort is in the middle of an old residential area, along with several other hotels, and I feared it would be constantly busy, but instead it was extremely peaceful and quiet. My biggest surprise was when I stepped out to the small outdoor fireplace/stone circle for a cigar a little bit after Midnight. Being completely surrounded by urban areas, I certainly never expected a close encounter with a doe and her fawn. They could not have passed more than ten feet away from me.

This was the perfect place for our romantic weekend rendezvous. It went so well that we intend to return for our Honeymoon.

There was a family there while we were who made ample use of the pool and spa area. They were as noisy as any other family with a few children would be, but the noise never got to be bothersome and disappeared the moment the sliding door was closed.

One little bit of advice - start running the hot water a minute or two before getting into the shower. There is plenty of hot water but it takes a minute to warm up. Also, check the temperature before hopping in, as it can get hot enough to scald.

Overall, I would highly recommend this resort to anyone with a romantic heart.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
tracy
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Pacific grove have been my destination vacation since day 1. The proximity to the beautiful beach and surrounding beauty what really attracted me. Monarch Resort is the perfect place where one can enjoy everything from beautiful surrounding, friendly service and living space.

I stayed at Monarch Resort due to recommendation from friend who had stayed and enjoying every minute of it. Staying at Monarch Resort in Pacific Grove was one of my unforgettable experience. The 24 hours service was magnificent and very friendly. I could ask the front desk anytime in the middle of the night and get prompt attention. The continental breakfast was delicious and fresh. combined with the aroma of the fantastic smell of the fresh coffee was just very pleasant morning breakfast. The room is very clean and roomy. I highly recommend anybody at any level to go and experience the Monarch Resort in Pacific grove.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Very nicely appointed hotel in good spot in Pacific Grove. Rooms are clean and spacious with nice friendly service. I had stayed in this hotel around 15 years ago and the corridors and rooms still look great. They have done a good job at maintaining this place.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
New Mexico
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We arrived at this hotel in the early evening on August 8, 2008, only to find out they did not give us a room with 2 beds which we ordered. I was travelling with my two teenagers and needed 2 beds. They gave us a very small room with a roll-away bed, which was not sufficient for my son who is 6'2". My reservations showed we asked for one room with 2 beds; the manager's copy of the reservation showed we asked for one room with two beds, however there was a special request for one bed. So they gave us one room with one bed and a roll-away. Go figure. The manager was willing to give us the same room on the second floor with an attached room that had two sofas, however, that was not what we needed. The manager was unwilling to come down on the price, and since I dealt with Expedia, I was basically stuck. Expedia was not willing to come down on the price until they talked to the manager, which happened a couple days after we returned home. Expedia offered to find us a room in Monterey, but I was not willing to pack up and drive back to Monterey after a busy day. To top it off, we were given 3 towels, and each had holes in them! I took them back to the hotel staff who went into a room and returned 5 seconds later with 3 more towels. Two of these three towels had holes in them! There was black hair on the white floor of the bathroom; not one or two strands, but clumps like someone had hair pulled out of their head. When I told them manager, she graciously came in and cleaned it up. Later, I found fresh shaving cream behind the coffee pot. I would rate this hotel with half a star, only because of the quiet location. The manager's unwillingness to come down on the price of the room ($241 with taxes) for a room I did not request, shows what type of operation this is. Shady. I truly felt like this was the old bait and switch routine. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Unwillingness to correct a problem; filthy bathroom; holes in the towels
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank travelerinNM

Travellers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

Lake Oswego
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We were SHOCKED that AAA recommended this place, and regretted our reservation almost immediately upon arrival. Forget the photos, this place looks and feels like a college apartment complex. The hotel staff had an attitude of "we don't HAVE to care", the pool was filthy, and the hot tub wasn't hot. Sliding door to pool wouldn't open, forcing you to walk around the hotel to an outside gate that was partially rusted shut. Inside, a box with guest's credit card info (nicely alphabetized) was sitting unattended at the check-in desk, and once help arrived, when we pointed out how easy it would be for someone to take, they said it wasn't a problem - hello, identity theft?? Our room was dark, and had a fireplace that filled the room with smoke, forcing us to leave the doors open, which pleasantly allowed us to listen to the apartment complex next door. We were just thankful the alarm and sprinklers didn't go off. No a/c, although there was a fan above the bed - that clicked all night. Continental breakfast was 2nd day with no coffee or or hot H20, even tho instant oatmeal packets were put out. Fruit was green and unappealing. We expected a lot more for the price, and from AAA and Best Western. Sadly disappointing.

• Liked — Remodeled bathrooms were new and unmarred.
  • Disliked — Staff attitude!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank stravinsky57
Northern California
Reviewed 24 May 2008

Nicely appointed lodging in very quiet residential neighborhood just a few blocks from the ocean. Adequate covered parking.

Desk staff was quite courteous and helpful. Room was spacious, very clean and comfortable, with lovely gas log fireplace.

Only disappointment was "breakfast" - essentially a narrow long row of coffee, tea, cereals, eggs, meats, fruit, juices, milk set out in a hallway near the check-in! Virtually no tables/chairs, so guests have to either sit in the few check-in lounge seats, or carry everything back to their own rooms. Ridiculous...management could at least open up one 'meeting room' for a couple of hours each morning.

But if you're not concerned about a grand onsite breakfast, this is a very nice place to stay, away from the noise of downtown and the tourist attractions, just a few blocks from the ocean, and in a nice neighborhood amidst Pacific Grove's pine forest.

• Liked — Quiet location, spacious comfortable room with gas log fireplace
  • Disliked — Breakfast is a joke - limited food selection, and NO PLACE TO SIT AND EAT!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple